JMI Tonebender MKII question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bluesman79, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

Any input on these? I'm thinking of picking one up...

Thanks!

2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have one and love it. It doesn't get nearly the love of a DAM or a DAM/Sola Sound but I quite like it. It is a high gain germanium fuzz tone so there is a bit of noise that comes with that on higher attack settings but they all do that!

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I will say this...JMI as a company was not the easiest to deal with...communication was not easy and the wait tome for a new order was a little long but once I got the pedal It was all good...the tone and build quality of the pedals is quite good IMHO.

5. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

6. Curly

Curly Member

this video kinda sold me on the JMI, and it certainly delivers

7. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

Everyone says to go with the DAM, but its so expensive...the JMI isn't cheap, but it is a lot cheaper. I'm basically wondering if the JMI is a good alternative

8. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Totally agree.

I've played most of the popular MK2's, other than DAM, and I like the JMI far and away the best. I had one, and because I didn't think I could justify the $$$$, I mistakenly sold it.

As a Christmas gift to myself, I rectified that situation and bought another.

It's a stunning sounding pedal.

9. fiddlefadel

fiddlefadel Supporting Member

Hello did you buy it from a US dealer?

thanks
    Dave

10. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

I got my JMI MkII from themadape.com today, but I couldn't play it cause I had to come home for a Xmas party :FM I ordered my pedal a month and a half ago. But Mad Ape definitely had problems getting their pedals from JMI. I kept in touch with the guy at MA and he never said anything bad about JMI, but he seemed frustrated with the speed of the delivery, so I assumed there were some problems with JMI. He told me it was with customs or something, but I just can't see a buncha guitar pedals sitting in customs for a month, but I guess you never know. But I'll keep y'all updated on how the pedal sounds and try and post a YT vid comparing it to my Hudson Stroll Ons and my SoulBender.

11. will richardson

will richardson The Tennessee to California Connection Silver Supporting Member

I have one - it is very gainey overall at most settings and very compressed at high settings. It does not clean up even at low settings so you'll either have it on or off (mark I's and 1.5 will typically clean up. It is very fuzzy with humbuckers (cant say about single coils haven't run it with Strats yet. Having said all that, it sounds like a vintage pedal with real trannies. It will do a psychedelic fuzz thing. You can also get somewhat an arena rock sound if you diddle among the the pedal, amp and guitar settings. I've got the Hots for the Mark I Medal case. When do you hear youtube pedal demos that knock you out. Not too often. The JMI Mark I does an great arena rock ( in an organic not sterile vain) sound and at moderated and high settings. it will swell, vascillate in tone, growl etc. very Jimi-ish but with more Ronsonish low end. I think it is best of both worlds. I've emailed Lumpy to see if he can build one. The JMI I is pricey, but I can see getting rid of several other pedals with one killer effect. Hope this helps.

Keep Pickin'.
    will richardson

12. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Tone Benders are not known for rtheir ability to clean up so that never bothered me.

Also, just FWIW...one of the resaons the early ones were slow to roll out was that JMI was having issues with noise on some of the units and wanted to make sure they were right before sending them out...I did hate the wait but seeing that the wait was to insure a pedal that was correct I gladly understood and waited!

13. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I think it's Music Ground that is the crappy dealer of these pedals. I think JMI just builds them? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the guys at JMI build quality stuff, it's just the dealer that is shady and unreliable.

Also.. MKII Tone Benders are not known for cleaning up well, but you should check out the Creepy Fingers MKII Magnabender if you want a MKII pedal that does clean up. That is my personal fav MKII.

14. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I'm fairly certain that Music-Ground and JMI are one and the same. JMI does the manufacturing and MG does the sales/distribution.

15. slowfingers

slowfingers Member

I have three Tonebenders from JMI, ( all MK1's) I did have to wait rather a long time till I received the two I got from Music Ground, but the wait was well worth it fabulous MK1 vintage tone.
    slow.

[​IMG]

16. high Noon

high Noon Member

Great alternative to D*A*M. Each of the MKI and MKII are stellar and different but my preference is the wood box MKI. MG sells some new ones on eBay. If you don't like it, you should be able to get your money back as I understand these are strictly limited production units...

17. will richardson

I have a Mark II and a Mark I Metal Box. The JMI fuzzes
    are professional sounding. Their are two mark I youtube soundclips, one of which does not pull up easily, but sounds great. Part of the demo is fuzz partially up and halfway through they "turn it up". Two different sounds but both are super toney. The Mark II is a real "fuzz" ala 60s. Its great for doing period correct pieces and tributes to that era with your own compositions.

I've yet to hear a D*A*M* that knocks me out. Most sound clips are poor to mediocre, hard to tell if it's the setup or the player. I've notice that Paul Trombetta's stuff consistently sounds good on youtube.

I waited two months extra to get my Mark II right after NAMM 2008. Ordering from Music Ground is like ordering a boutique guitar. Yeah, it hurts to wait, but they are not Boss or Dunlop. Some Builders of Pedals and Guitars are on well oiled schedules, but many of the best are not. If the wait is not OK for you, order from a builder who has short lead time.

Playing Stevens Guitars, I know how to wait. Tone first, then convenience is my vote, but run your show as you see fit.

will richardson

18. will richardson

Versatile, does arena rock, not a buzzing insect!
    And if you use partial fuzz with the amp pumping hard, you get the cliched, Big Boy Tone!

Slowfingers, obviously GETS IT!

will richardson

19. tatter

tatter Member

Correct me if i'm wrong but the JMI MKII with postage is actually more expensive than the D*A*M MKII (when they were in production). The new Sola Sound / D*A*M collaboration is £100 more expensive than the JMI but it isn't really a clone, it's the genuine article, build by the world's leading authority on the MKII circuit.

I got my AC125 D*A*M MKII a few months ago, i paid £210 + £7.50 P+P. As opposed to £199 + £20 P+P with the JMI.

Both my D*A*M AC125 MKII and my SS / D*A*M MKIIs clean up beautifully and have a good range on the attack knob.

The JMI sounds too compressed, gainy and mushy to me. The finish on the case isn't right either. The transistors inside are supposed to be Mullard OC75 but i don't see the word 'mullard' on them. I'm guessing there's some factory code on there that must identify them as mullards? Some of the transistors are flat topped in shape which look like valvo transistors to me. I've also seen a fair few fitted with cheap x-wing style switches and poor wiring etc.

If i'm going to fork out a seriously large amount of cash on a pedal i want it to be right and i didn't mind paying a little extra for the quality of a Sola Sound / D*A*M MKII.

20. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Sound clips can only give you part of the picture. I have the JMI Metal MKI and have a couple D*A*M boxes. Also owned one of Slowfingers' Wooden MKIs. I love them all. The D*A*M boxes are most certainly worth their original pricetags...not going to discuss the resale values. Build quality, workmanship, tone and consistency all surpass the JMI stuff. Only edge JMI has over D*A*M is the cool RI enclosures, with the exception of the Macari/Sola Sound MKII.