JMP/JCM800 Cleans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by UconnJack, Nov 21, 2005.

1. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I've been looking for one of these to A/B with my 68 Bassman. Now I'm thinking that maybe just one head will do (for my cover band). Do these Marshall's (particularly the MV models), clean-up OK with the guitar volume knob? I can deal with less-than-perfect cleans, but I don't want to lose much volume when dialing back.

Thanx
    UJ

2. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I have a JCM800 2210 channel switching head circa 1986 or so.

Clean is not the amp's strength. It has great gain and an upper mid accentuated voice (classic Marshall). The clean knda sounds wimpy if you are using a scooped fender vocing as your reference point.

In the mix with a band it can sound fine, but I wouldn't solo it. Or if I got a gig with James Brown's band I may bring something else. :D

3. dave s

dave s Member

I'll pass along my JCM800 'clean tone' recipe learned from another TGP member.

Use the low input on the amp; run the master volume on 10, use the preamp knob to control overall amp output. Season to taste with tone section.

IMO, the JCM800 run like this will eat a bassman alive using the settings stated above. Use pedals to get what you need on top of the great, thick, powerful JCM800 clean tone.

dave

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I recently purchased a slightly used JCM 800 reissue and what I've been doing to obtain my Clean Sound with it is Plugg into the High Input Cranking the Preamp Volume on 10 and setting the Master to suit the Loudness I need. Then turning the Guitar Volume down to clean it up. I'm getting a Gorgeous Clean Sound out of it.

Of coarse part of it is I'm using a 52 reissue Tele wired modern with the pickup selector in the middle position and a Large Bogner 2x12 Cab under it.

With this setup I get and unruly Dirty sound thats great and a Clean sound thats unbelievable. It actually sounds better Clean than My Plexi though My Plexi seems to like my Les Paul Better.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Once a year I play in an outdoor jam (blues and classic rock) with 2 other guitarists, 2 drummers, bass and keys. One year I took my JCM800 and a 212 cab, plugged into the low input, cranked the master and adjusted gain and guitar volume to taste-got complements about my tone all night. Just used an overdrive when I needed more sustain for leads. Mine is a 6550 model, so has a bit more clean overhead than the El34s...

6. dave s

dave s Member

Exactly! I never received more 'buzz' about guitar sound than when I used my JCM800 in 'clean mode.' Most guys have never heard a 'clean' marshall tone and all were quite surprised at how good it sounded.

Frankly, so was I. But the TGP member who passed along the clean tone recipe is a good player and knows how to use gear. Honestly, I would have never stumbled across that receipe.

dave

7. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I didn't mean to dis the JCM clean tone. It's all I used for years and was happy as a clam.

But that cool SRV Fender tone was always evading me no matter how hard I looked for it in the Marshall.

I got an 80's Paul Rivera made Fender Concert and it had the classic Fender clean. Since that was what I was looking for at the time I stuck with it, and have the amp to this day. It rocks.

Still have the JCM 2210 as well. And it still is unequalled in the distortion department.

I love both. :D

8. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

The JCM800 2203x with pre amp on 10 and master to allowable volume level isn't all that dirty. Simply rolling back guitar's volume nob usually cleans it up enough. My friend always plugs into low output when he comes over. It is a great clean sound. To me it is hard to beat the black face clean. Even a Fender Hot Rod or Deville sound amazing. You can really hear what a 335 is susposed to sound like through one of those.

9. gulliver

gulliver Member

Get one of the channel switching versions and you're good to go. If you're thinking about using the same channel for distortion and cleans using a rolled back guitar volume, it won't work out for you unless you're using a distortion pedal for the dirty tone and keeping the amp clean.

10. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I have gotten some excellent clean tones from the Marshall 2203s in the past. Your Tele definitely is helping the situation with those single coil or single silver bar P/U's.

By the way, I am thinking of picking up/buying the Marshall 59SLPHW and matching G12H30 HW Cab. How do you like your Hand Wired series Plexi? Do you bridge the channels for varied tones? I tried out an old Chandler TUbe driver rack through a plexi and it just ripped. Definitely the other side of the fence from my 2203x reissue I own.

I ordered a Valve Driver from Pedaldoctor which Eric Johnson is using. Also ordered an Analogman NKT275 FUZZ. 3 week waiting list on that one. It seems a properly built Germanium fuzz as well as a well bult TUbe driven pedal are the way to go to overdrive a plexi amp. Wondering if you have tried either through your Hand Wired Marshall?

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The 1959 HW is insanely good tone. First thing that had to go was the Bright Cap on the High Trebile Channel. Followed by a 470K 1/2 watt Resistor in its place. After that its insanely good tone at any volume. I recomend these to anyone.

So far the only Pedal I've used with it is a Keeley Modded Turbo Tube Screamer. I have others but havent tried anything else yet.

Wierd enuff. While My 2203x seems to prefer my Tele my 1959HW seems to prefer my Les Paul. :dude

12. Shea

Shea Member

Yeah, it can't be done. The different tone stacks makes it about impossible. Not to mention all the other differences between the amps, but IMO it's the radically different upper-midrange response that makes it impossible for a Marshall to ever come close to the clean tone of a blackface or silverface Fender. Not to say one is inherently better than the other - they're like apples and oranges. (But put me down for Fender cleans).

Shea

13. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

I guess I really need to get the amp and figure it out. I love fender clean and strat tones, but for this band, no one really notices except me. I do need the Marshall gain, and i'm not finding it in pedals. I like the recommended different MV and preamp gain settings mentioned and look forward to experimenting. If i'm not pleased, I can always go back to my original plan of using my bassman for cleans.

Now to find someone selling a 2204 vertical input!

14. Shea

Shea Member

Two words: two amps

OK, four more words: Voodoo Labs Amp Selector

Shea

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

+1 On the Voodoo Labs Amp Switcher

Cool little dude and I find it suits my needs more than the rest of em.

Rastaman has been strugling with this he needs what it does but dosent need as big a unit.

To me using the Low Input on the 2203 will get great cleans but the Gain Suffers for the cool Marshall Crunch. Though if you can find a pedal that will duplicate that sound then you'll have it. I havent found that yet. When I get close its noisy. I dont use a pedal with my JCM 800 just my guitars volume knob.

Another solution is the Rastaman /James Peters Volume Cut Pedal. I'll see if I can find the thread and post a link.

16. el34power

el34power Member

FWIW. I absolutely LOOOVE my 2203. I pulled two tubes, run the pre at 2:00, master at 10:00 threw a 4x12 with 2 greenback and 2 red fangs, a good PAF type, tunned to A:430 Oooooh yeah....... I would recommend using a 2203. You will have more headroom out of a 100 watter.

17. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I have an '81 JMP 2104 with the vertical inputs, (a 2204 in a 2x12 combo cab) and I get great clean tones....just a little hair, actually.....by running the master and pre very close to each other. Like 1:00 on the pre and 11:00 on the master. Cleans up beautifully with either my Andy, Tele or Strat, into the high input. (Actually thinking about selling it lately, cuz I gig with my Z more often than not). It's a lot of amp!

I think the guitar/pickups have a lot to do with being able to get good cleans by backing off of the volume. My LP didn't work as well as my others.

18. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

What exactly did the 470K 1/2 Resistor do for your HandWired plexi? Did the amp initiall sound a little to treble oriented and not enough bottom end? YOu and I have very similiar tastes in amps and Guitars! Very Old School and Simple. Marshalls, Les Pauls and Strats. Pure TOne! I teach out in Boca Raton Florida and we are looking for another Guitar teacher fulltime. It pays $23 an hour fulltime. Get your butt down here and bring the Marshall stacks !LOL!
    Seriously though, Do ytourself a favor and go buy a Analogm,an NKT275 Fuzz pedal and/ or a TONEBOEN HOt british tube driven pedla or a Pedaldoctor.com made Valvedriver. The Valvedriver is based on an old Chandler tube driver circuit. However MUCH improved and has an onboard Transformer and is beautifully built piece of wqpt for $375! THe TOnebone is good but compared to the Valvedriver it is second rate. Not a bad peice though the TOnebone. YOu MUST bridge your channels on your Handwired Marshall and run wither one of these pedals through it .YOu ewill LOVE IT!!!!!!! TRUST ME! Just look how Eric Johnson runs his plexis. Ask anyone who is an authority on Marshall plexis or NON MASTER VOLUME heads for that matter and they will agree a great Germanium Fuzz pedal or nicely buolt Tube Driver circuit [pedal is THEEE WAY to go!
    I am really gased to try out the Handwired Marshall reissue. I hear it really nails the old vintage Marshall plexi deal dead on. Or at least can hang with the big dogs on the block!

19. UconnJack

UconnJack Member

All the Germino buzz going around has rekindled my interest in a Marshall type of amp. I tried the VHT Deliverance, which I found to be an awesome amp, just a bit too responsive for my tastes. I'm wondering since the JCM 800's and JMP's are SS Rectified, do they have any sag at all? Or are they as "in-your-face" as the Deliverance is. (Not that's that's bad, I think I'm looking for a little more sag/feel than the Deliverance offers).

20. Roe

Roe Member

I've used serveral jcm800s (2205 and 2203 and 2204). the jcm800 clean sound never sounded good to me. the jcm2000 clean sound is too sterile and boring. if you want a marshall with good clean sound, try a jtm45, jtm100, major, super bass, super pa, jtm50, jmp 50 or 1967 super lead.