Joan jett;s guitar

Nitebob

What is Joan Jett's main guitar? A refined Melody Maker with replaced pickups?

Thanks for any help in advance!
nitebob

whatmeworry

The pickups were ( back when she released Bad Reputation ) Red Rhoads (sp?)
She played a club where I bounced, and I asked a few gear questions
The name stuck in my head cause I'd never heard of them

When she was in the Runaways, she bought if from one of the roadies, who used to roady for the Raspberries. That's the guitar Carmen played on "Go All the Way."

bgl

i've always loved that particular guitar. just beat to death, worn, played and loved, chipped, dinged, covered in stickers. too cool.

Bill Brasky

It's pretty stupid that her Gibson signature model looks nothing like her actual guitar. They were giving away one of her Gibson guitars and a Ripper bass in a showcase on the The Price Is Right yesterday.

LocustXReign

It's pretty stupid that her Gibson signature model looks nothing like her actual guitar. They were giving away one of her Gibson guitars and a Ripper bass in a showcase on the The Price Is Right yesterday.
It's a little stupid that she was given a signature model in the first place, but, that is the business these days I guess.

My Dad's closest friend is Ricky Byrd of The Blackhearts. He's good people and a rad player in his own right.

-DB

It's a little stupid that she was given a signature model in the first place, but, that is the business these days I guess.

My Dad's closest friend is Ricky Byrd of The Blackhearts. He's good people and a rad player in his own right.

-DB
Why is it stupid?? Joan Jett is an icon and she's played that guitar her whole career practically. That actual one--not twenty that look the same. And she has influenced and inspired so many girls to play. She's great and she doesn't have signature models with ten other companies either.

I can't stand that company, or most signature models even (Muddy Waters Tele excluded), but I think that's one of the few good things Gibson has done in the past several years. Except they are impossible to find, of course...

LocustXReign

Why is it stupid?? Joan Jett is an icon and she's played that guitar her whole career practically. That actual one--not twenty that look the same. And she has influenced and inspired so many girls to play. She's great and she doesn't have signature models with ten other companies either.

I can't stand that company, or most signature models even (Muddy Waters Tele excluded), but I think that's one of the few good things Gibson has done in the past several years. Except they are impossible to find, of course...
I just don't feel her playing ever particularly warranted a signature model guitar. I understand the influence factor, and I'm a fan, but there are plenty of other people in line who deserve a signature instrument from Gibson a little more, in my opinion.

-DB

Jim S

Platinum Supporting Member
I just don't feel her playing ever particularly warranted a signature model guitar. I understand the influence factor, and I'm a fan, but there are plenty of other people in line who deserve a signature instrument from Gibson a little more, in my opinion.

-DB
I understand your sentiments. But I think it's a great idea for Gibson to do this.

Not many women rock as hard as her except the Wilson sisters from HEART and she has been playing Gibson forever. Joan is not a shredder but she's rocked hard and long and many of her songs are excuted extremely well.

She hasn't jumped around from guitar to guitar and the Gibson Melody Maker is strongly associated with Joan Jett. So from Gibson's point of view, she's been loyal and it's great way to appeal to both male and female rock guitar players with a modestly priced guitar, no frills, balls to the walls guitar. That's actually a tough marketing act to follow, no?

I'd like one of thos guitars. In time.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
She deserves a signature model more than most. She's played the same guitar the whole time she's been solo (with the Blackhearts). She didn't play it because Gibson was paying her.
Jimmy Page gets a signature model and played a lot more guitars than his Les Paul.
Billy Gibbons gets a signature model and he played a lot more guitars than his Les Paul.