Job Offer Extended Then Retracted

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by JMP99, Mar 14, 2015.

1. JMP99

JMP99 Member

So I went for an interview Thursday morning. I was 1 of 17 chosen for an interview out of 73 candidates. Was told I'd hear back by Saturday evening.
    I got a call Thursday evening from the person conducting the interviews and the one with whom I'd be working the most. He tells me congratulations and that I have the job. Great!
    I go back yesterday and the interviewer shows me around, introduces me to people we encounter in the halls as my new title, and takes me over to a separate building to familiarize me with the layout of the campus, etc
    I meet with the general sales manager yesterday and he starts grilling me about my resume and asking all sorts of questions about my previous work history, says I scored exceptionally well on their test for knowledge of the industry, then hammers me for lack of experience for this entry level position.
    I then meet with the VP of the company who said this is no interview and he wants to get to know me. I walked out of there thinking everything was ok despite what their middle management guy had to say.
    I got a call from the interviewer about 15mins later saying don't do anything drastic(resign my current job) just yet and that he has a meeting with the other two Monday to interview other candidates.
    What gives???

2. m1911

m1911 Member

Do you have an offer in writing?
    I don't read anything where they even "extended you and offer" as you say above......verbal or written....

3. vds5000

vds5000 Member

The person conducting the interview should not have told you that the job is yours and should not have walked you around and introduce you as the new <insert title here>. Everything else sounds normal.

If they are interviewing more candidates and have not told you you're out of the mix, they you're pretty much their 'back-up' plan.

A good rule of thumb is to never consider a job to be yours until you have a signed job offer letter/contract.

4. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

They pretty much demonstrtated what it will be like working for the company. I would consider it a blessing and move on. As they say "what people do in the most seemingly insignificant situations speaks volumes to their true nature." It goes for corporations, too!

5. rog951

rog951 Member

That is about the strangest thing I've ever heard. I guess you received no offer letter? Just the phone call and the visit? Was that one guy implying you cheated on their test?

6. JMP99

JMP99 Member

I was told on the phone that I'm hired, I have the job, and I had to meet with the other two so he could introduce me to them. The VP even said that pending a background check they would call me back to officially sign the offer sheet.

7. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Sounds to me like the Sales Manager is a moron. Or else he has final say so.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  8. vds5000

vds5000 Member

This!

As I previously stated, if they are interviewing more candidates and have not told you you're out of the mix, they you're pretty much their 'back-up' plan.

9. rog951

rog951 Member

Technically, the offer letter is the official "you got the job" action...at least that's how it has always been for me in the engineering field. Maybe sales is different? Receiving a phone call and visiting to meet your future coworkers, like you did, seems like putting the cart before the horse to me. I would be wary of accepting any offer from these guys if I already had a job. Good luck!

10. mirrorimij

mirrorimij Member

Sorry to hear that. I see you are in Connecticut. Would this happen to be a company near Farmington that makes laser equipment? Some of what you describe (campus, knowledge of industry test, etc) is very similar to what I encountered.

I went through a terrible experience with this company. I interviewed three times for a technical teaching position. The last "interview" I had to give a one hour presentation in their auditorium to a random group of engineers, people from the business office, etc. All in all there was at least a dozen people in the audience. They told me I was one of two people being considered for the position. The original pool of applicants was over 100 people. They gave me the topic one week prior to the interview. The topic was how to build a paper airplane. WTF? Anyway, I did a very good PowerPoint on the topic. Talked about history and theory of aviation and paper airplanes. Excellent graphics explaining aerodynamics, etc. The audience purposely acted like grade schoolers....they threw spitballs, pretended to talk loudly on their cell phone and disrupt the class. I was stunned. I knew they wanted to see my reaction. I was professional and kept trying to get back on topic. At the end they told me I was no longer being considered. I guess they were looking for me to act like a tough guy. It was a total mind game. F that! I am so happy I didn't get the job. I talked to a few people that work there and they are miserable.

Good luck. i hope it works out for you.

11. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

That is the most bizarre thing i have ever heard as well. I would be pretty upset about it.

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

this.

sounds like they just changed their mind about the op. something must not have sat right with them to reconsider.

otoh i had a similar situation. though one exec said the job was mine a committee selected another person with more experience. i was told had i been chosen i would have received the official notice in written form or contract.

13. JMP99

JMP99 Member

Even if I do get a call back I'm going to have to seriously reconsider because of the way they handled it. Are a lot of corporations about politics and mind games? If so, people are dicks. Lol

14. crunchman

crunchman Member

73 candidates for 1 job, that can't be a good thing .

15. goldtone

goldtone Member

Very true. And it sounds like they brought you in for a second round of interviews. It is odd that they took you around and introduced you as they new person.

The universe could be looking out for you.

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Boy, do I ever agree. Put that one in your rearview and move on.

Sorry you had to go through such unprofessional treatment. No excuse for being jerked around like that.

17. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream Member

Any time something doesn't make sense, its because you are not "privied" to all of the facts. In similar situations I've seen guys like the middle manager you reference shoot down and decline any and all candidates in an effort to bring in "his" guy instead, such as a close friend.

I would ask a very polite and direct question (to the person who told you that you had the job) as to why they told you have the position, and then pulled a 180 the next day?

18. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I would pass. This is an insightful demonstration of a disfunctional company without a clear hiring process. Whoever told you that you have the job apparently doesn't have that authority. If they can't get that part right, it does not bode well for future decisions.

19. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream Member

Those are pretty good odds!

Here in Ohio, HR reps can receive hundreds of resumes for a single position.

20. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Be glad you aren't a freelance musician. This happens weekly.