Joe B collecting old Charvels?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ned Schneebly, Dec 6, 2014.

1. jimshine

jimshine Member

True, they are the same as later production Charvels. Not the same as anything made before 1982. The preproduction era Charvels are quite different all around. Different neck shapes, different standard body woods, different fretboard radius, different finish material..the list goes on and on. Bolt on Jackson's of the 80's were merely a continuation of where Charvel ended up, after the Charvel brand became an import line. The only difference between a later USA Charvel from the 80's and an early Jackson, is the neckplate and logo.

2. jimshine

jimshine Member

Yeah, those are pretty cool. The necks were the biggest ones you would find in that particular era. Prepro era is different though. I have larger than Holdsworth prepro necks. That gold Strat for example has a very thick soft V neck. The walnut one with bound neck has a thick D profile that dwarfs just about anything else you can compare it to.

Mike Hickey has a couple Holdsworth's. I am sure Joe has played them.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. aceinet

aceinet Member

Of course Joe B would get one of the VH PrePros. Once you go Charvel it is hard to go back. Forget the flashy looks on most of them....the necks are amazing and playing them is a dream.

4. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

Ah yes the neck, the main reason i have been playing charvel since 1981:beer

5. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

when you pack places out like Joe does I'd imagine you can afford some nice stuff! it's not like he's playing in bars anymore.

7. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Preproduction are nice, but so are the very rare original San Dimas guitar which ended in 1981-1985. There are only 5,000 or so made, today there are very few original examples left. Great guitars.

8. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I have played that very guitar. It is a beast.

9. Shnook

Shnook Member

I can appreciate Joe spending his money on cool gear way more than those rock stars of yesteryear who spent their money on booze, dope, and a lifestyle that's not sustainable. Those are the folks who had to sell their beloved guitars to keep their heads above water. I respect Joe for his enthusiasm for classic gear. And the fact that he takes this stuff out on the road and plays it. Good for him.

10. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

He can have my 1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe...if we trade for one of those crusty old Les Pauls

11. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Except Joe's not a rock star.

12. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

You played that VH charvel?
    does it have the real slim shallow C profile?

13. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Maybe he can't afford it all. Swipe the plastic, live the high life, and have it all crash and burn later. That is pretty much standard. JUST AN ASSUMPTION. Anyone seen MC Hammer lately? LOL....

14. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

Tracy jenkins has/had a outstanding collection of old strat heads.
    He is the host the USA charvel site
    http://www.usacharvels.com/charvels.htm

15. jimshine

jimshine Member

Kind of. Charvel made several hundred 21 fret neck blanks in 1981. They continued to use these blanks well into 1982 after they had started using 22 frets. The necks were not complete. They had the outlines cut, fretboards radiused to 10", and shaper run down the back. The final hand touches and fretwork were done upon completion. These blanks appear in builds as late as October 1982. They still had a surplus of them and they got stuck in storage after they switched to pointy heads in January 1983. There are many of these incomplete necks out there. Many have been completed over the years, some are still as they sat in Charvel inventory.

Right, but the lion share of that 5000 is pointy era guitars. They are very different and cool for the people that love that style guitar. I will give the production era credit for this. They are consistent. The tolerances are really dialed in and they had the experience to make great guitars to order. Preproduction era has a lot of variances, like neck shapes. You don't know what to expect until it is in your hand (they got neck shapes better by mid 1981 when they switched to a shaper to carve the backs). I disagree that many did not survive.

16. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Annnnnddd great. Just great. Now my favorite old charvels, still affordable if you can find one, are gonna be snapped by the corksniffing crew. The dudes that play the 10 grand les pauls and used to look down their noses at the unrefined savages like myself that like old pointy's are suddenly gonna be buying em up in droves LOL :(

17. Charvel_ strat_81

Charvel_ strat_81 Member

yeah i thought this very thing myself but i was always after the strat heads
    from 82 and prior but would not turn my nose up at any pointy!:beer

18. Surfreak

Surfreak Member

19. gpro34

gpro34 Member

How do you disagree? I have been searching for original condition San Dimas guitars for years, but most have been modified, or in very bad condition. An original, non modified, mint condition original San Dimas guitar made from 81-85 is exceedingly rare. "But they're the pointy era guitars"...so are we to dismiss them due to the pointy headstocK? I don't get this. The pointy headstock was extremely popular, so much so that Gibson and Fender (huge world renown companies) copied little old Charvel and put a pointy variety in its line up. Another thing you might not know, Randy Rhodes was the person to come up with that headstock shape which even makes it more special, IMO.

20. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

The news has been out on the old Charvels for several years now. Same for older Jacksons and Schecters.