1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Joe B.'s Epi Amos Flying V is released....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Synex7254, Nov 21, 2017.

1. highrise

highrise Member

My first dog’s name was Amos Calhoun.

vokeyz likes this.
  2. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

It’s NUS not MOS.

Advisable Owl likes this.
  3. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Rather curious about that comment - advertising the body as something it isnt would be a criminal offence in the UK (Trade descriptions act). More to the point, though, why would you veneer it in korina - its not a particularly expensive wood - all Reverends are made from it at a comparable price point. Interestingly the 1958 flying is also advertised as being Korina, and I have the impression, like you that its the same body.

Roe likes this.
  4. highrise

highrise Member

It’s my understanding that the bodies of the mid-late 90’s Epi ‘58 Explorers and V’s are made from a butcher block style KORINA blank.

THEN, a pretty Korina sheet is glued over the top.

Looking at the end of the body crotch is the best way to count body pieces.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2017
  5. rkharper

rkharper Member

Yepp, like that.
    Sure, Korina isn't expensive, but hacked up blocks are even cheaper.

6. Daka3

Daka3 Member

My Epi korina V was solid. Two pieces, bookmatched. No veneer, no nothing. Just the limba. Sold it, though.

Roe likes this.
  7. highrise

highrise Member

enharmonic likes this.
  8. mutron

mutron Member

I’ve been wanting a ‘58 style V for a long time but none of the epi’s I’ve tried have ever felt like anything more than a mediocre low end guitar. This one also looks pretty much the same as the one from last year and the Bonamassa connection is actually a deterrent for me because it just feels douchey.
    It’s unfortunate that the next step up is a $5000+ Gibson custom shop. There’s a few great looking Japanese clones out there but they are hard to come by and with CITES it feels risky even trying. You’d think with all the choice in guitars in 2017 there would be a good quality midrange 58 V in steady production. Ugh, the hunt continues.

bluegrif, Roe and enharmonic like this.
  9. Kostas

Kostas Member

Apparently they can't find enough big blocks of white korina for their production that's why Gibson has declared korina the holy wood and every guitar they put it costs over $5000. Black & white korina come for the same tree, they are the exact same species but Gibson in the 50's used only the "clean" parts of the wood and since they (and Epiphone) have stuck in the past white korina is all they use. On the other hand if they released black korina Flying V's I'm not sure how many will be into them just because the originals didn't look like that. I'm guessing most would prefer a mahogany V than a black korina V.

In any case, korina like most woods is not expensive. It's not for someone who buys a block of wood to make one guitar and definitely not expensive for a brand that buys tons of wood. Wood after strings is the cheapest thing on a guitar.

Bacchus from Japan have released several '58 style Flying V guitars with korina, mahogany and mango. You can find them second hand for the price of the Amos V and up. Momose have released both white & black korina Flying V's, they are higher quality and price but nothing like the Gibson korina 58RI's. No veneers on their guitars.

http://www.hybridguitars.com/item.php?code=1810
    https://www.music-plant.com/webshop/products/detail.php?product_id=54815

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ilduce, Roe, highrise and 1 other person like this.
  10. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

If you don't mind the silverburst finish, the Brent Hinds V is a great choice as well.
    Lower price, hot Lace Sensor pickups and an ebony board.

It's becoming my favorite V and it's by far my cheapest one.

Jagbo and Custom50 like this.
  11. Stike

Stike Member

Polyester is sprayed and not dipped.

But one of the first steps in the finishing process for woods like mahogany, ash, limbs, etc no matter the material being appled is the application of pore filler.

I have never seen a foreign built Epiphone that didn’t have a polyester finish so I’m pretty certain yours does as well, a Google search didn’t turn up anything to lead me to believe otherwise.

Nothing wrong with polyester imo.

HERSCHEL and indeedido like this.
  12. highrise

highrise Member

I thought the Elite Epiphones were nitro?

Roe likes this.
  13. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I copied and pasted the comments. They were not mine. I do not own the Epiphone. I asked why all the hate?

14. Stike

Stike Member

Sorry, post turkey day fatigue has turned my reading comprehension to ****. :D

15. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I love old Epiphones 1950's,60s,70,s and some 80's.S A few made now.

16. olgluefoot

olgluefoot Member

Looks cool for a kid maybe...

:banana

17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Member

A couple of points, FYI:

1. My biggest gotcha with Epis has been their medium frets. Joe spec'd medium jumbos into this model, so that is a plus.
    2. "Blackwood" is a name applied to four timber tree species, the two most often used being African blackwood (Dalbergia melanoxylon which is of the same genus as rosewood) and Australian blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon of the same genus as koa). One of those, I think the African variety, has become popular in the firearms community as an alternative to rosewood and cocobolo. It offers similar properties to rosewood and cocobolo but an attractive alternate color and is currently unregulated under CITES. It runs from a darker blackish to a lighter brown with dark accents as below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other, Australian blackwood, is used for acoustic guitar bodies as an alternate to koa as the koa supply has become rather expensive.

Bob

18. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I’ve wanted a korina V for years, but I just bought a house, so I’ll miss this run, too.

jordans0nly likes this.
  19. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

I really am gassing for one of these. It pretty much goes against all my guitar sensibilities, but I really want one.

I think the hooks were set with "a new version of something really old and priceless you'll never get your hands on".

20. parker

parker Member

Joe has hit upon a brilliant business model, sell cheaper Epiphone versions to pay for expensive vintage originals, I was almost sucked in, but came to my senses.. :p

dumbell78 and Roe like this.