Joe B.'s Epi Amos Flying V is released....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Synex7254, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Advisable Owl

Advisable Owl Member

Reminds me of a joke where someone found an R in a scripture's celibate...

Mike R. likes this.
  2. mjross

mjross Member

Yeah, right!

3. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

I keep coming back to this Amos. Does anybody out there know how different it is from epi’s Regular 58 Korina v?
    Specifically, the neck. Everything else is swappable in time, with the exception of the fancier headstock logos on the Amos.

4. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

Does Joe's vintage V have a nailed in tailpiece plate?

5. Blix

Blix Member

[​IMG]

6. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Silver Supporting Member

I think this is a big question for many. How's the neck profile....

jads57 likes this.
  7. 58flame

58flame Member

8. datguytim

datguytim Member

My buddy built me a dead nuts clone of a Gibby '58 Korina Blackguard V - spec'd from a real one (dimensions, measurements, neck angle, headstock angle & pitch, Arcane PUs, Sprague Black Beauty cap, etc.). I love it, he used some old white limba & braz rosewood he had & it's a magic guitar for sure - I think it might replace my R9 as my #1. Resonates, rings, & sings like no Epi V ever could.

Why post this? They are EASY to play sitting down - contrary to popular belief - just wedge that V crook into your right thigh - easy! The little rubber strip is useless - looks cool tho'. Incredibly comfy to play standing up too - mine hangs just right.

9. DRS

DRS Member

I think the Epi Amos is cool. Owning an Epi Johnny A has made me a believer. But they should've used better pickups in the Amos. Aren't the Epi ProBursts fair to midling? My Johnny A came with USA 57 classics which sound great in that guitar. although that set didn't work in my Les Paul.

10. kev

kev Member

Not sure this answers the question on the neck profile completely since "Rounded C-1958" doesn't provide one with number crunching data, however I was hopeful they'd done just this (copy the original neck):

From the Epiphone ad copy: The new Epiphone Ltd. Ed. 1958 "Amos" has a body and neck made from tone rich Korina (African Limba) wood and has a Rounded C-1958 neck profile measured from Bonamassa's original vintage guitar.

11. misterg71

misterg71 Supporting Member

Wonder if this being an "accurate" repro, will it actually feature a 17 degree headstock angle, or the usual Epi 14 degree.

12. Roe

Roe Member

14 is better than 17 imho. you can always compensate by winding up instead of down, or vice versa, on the tuning keys

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's still not clear if this is a veneer top or solid limba, and that makes all the difference to me!

14. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Supporting Member

Close-Ups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  16. Phila67

Phila67 Member

What about the Epi Andy? When does that come out?

17. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

I played one yesterday.
    The neck is slimmer than I expected. I came away with "it's fine", but not "fiiiiinnnne".
    Maybe not Les Paul Classic slim, but nothing near "chunky" to my hand. Not full like the FB1.
    Felt smaller than even Standards to me, and I was really trying to give it the benefit of the doubt.

The finish is also a little "off" to me, more orange than the golden of either Gibson orig or reissues (I've had an '83 forever) or even past Epi runs. Maybe the real Amos was orange, but I never saw korina tinted or aged that shade.
    I have a Bacchus explorer and dig it far more.

A pass for me, vs. the Firebird which was an instant (used) purchase. Fit and finish were fine, but felt a little more Indonesian than it should at the price point. Who knows, maybe I'll cave at some point, but it didn't grow on me after two 20 min sessions within an hour.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Soul Man likes this.
  18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's been reported on another site that it IS veneer. The body wood apparently seemed by grain to be korina under the veneer. Still, kind of a turn off at that price point.

19. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Member

I put in a pre-order for one of these, based mostly off of how much I dig the FB1 model.
    Figured if they put in as much attention and care with the Amos build then it too would be great.

But now that they're shipping, I gotta decide if I'll follow thru.

There's still very limited info but I have seen an equal number of posts saying these are veneer, to people saying they've tried them in-store and they look to be two-piece bodies (no veneer).

Hopefully, this becomes clearer now that they're in the wild. Also have a call in to my Sweetwater rep

20. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Silver Supporting Member

I think the standard Korina Epi V looks great on it's own. I will be interested to hear from someone who has played both.