Joe B.'s Epi Amos Flying V is released....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Synex7254, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83

Has anyone played both the Amos and the 58 Epi V? How do the neck profiles compare?

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The pictures on the Les Paul Forum clearly show that at least that guitar is veneer. It's really well applied and seems very thin. The fact that JoeB hasn't come on the thread to explain that they AREN'T veneer is pretty suggestive to me.

OTOH, it appears from the folks who have them or have played them, that the grain of the underlying wood goes in the right direction (so not a cutout from a square butcher block), so it should SOUND the same and feel the same as a real, 2 piece V. Is it worth more than the regular Epi V? You'd have to decide...

3. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I held one in my hands at my favorite music store last week. That one at least was NOT veneered. The body was two pieces of wood, center seamed, just like a “real” Flying V. You could plainly see how the wood grain flowed from the top and back into the sides. You could also see the Center seam in the “crotch” of the “V”.

The neck was a rounded shape. Decently large, but not overly so. It felt similar to the Gibson Flying V Custom I also played there.

The only objection I had was the weight of the guitar. It was the heaviest Flying V I’ve ever handled. Most Vs seem to run in the 6 pound range, but this one felt like an 8 pound + guitar.

4. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Member

Those were my pics on the LP Forum.
    I'm honestly beginning to wonder if there might be a mixed-bag of builds out there.

Those that looked fine were completed without veneers and those that had dark streaks on the top or back would get veneers.
    Don't know how likely/viable that would be, but it would explain the conflicting reports.

What I do know is that it had great tone, very different from what I'm used to (mahogany body with HB or P90's).

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd still love to see pics of the neck pickup cavity!

6. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

Who's Amos ?

Why should i care ?

$1200 Epi you got to be kidding.

What's Joe smoking these days ?

7. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I bought one and love it.balances well on the strap, sounds great (even the neck pup which I normally don't use) and has a chunky (to me) neck. Really nice.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

His own farts.

BWOTW likes this.
  9. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

Mmmmm Dumble farts.

grantaustin likes this.
  10. mjross

mjross Member

There was a time when I would not consider an Epiphone too. However, after the purchase of my Epiphone JB Firebird I Guitars, I have a bit of a different opinion. These Firebird I Guitars are on the level of any Gibson Firebird I’ve owned, in fact, better than most. Things have changed.

Amos was the dealer that originally sold the Gibson V Guitar that JB owns and that the Epiphone V is a copy of. Amos’ mom and pop music store is still open.

Sweetwater has them at $900 which means you could probably get one for maybe $750 if you could catch the right sale. One other thing, if I’m correct they come with a hard shell case.

Peace,

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Daka3 likes this.
  11. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

I just got one of these - (to me) the neck is very slim - reminds me of a 62 SG Standard. and Nothing like a genuine '58 Flying V

I had really hoped this guitar would have matched the advertised spec, and have a fat chunky neck like my CS8 , or '58 ES-335 dot neck. instead This Amos V plays more like a 2011 Ibanez JEM wizard neck - its wide at the nut , but thin for my taste - definitely NOT a "50's profile neck

12. blacknblues

blacknblues Member

That's too bad, I recently purchased another Epi signature model, the Slash Anaconda Les Paul, and it most definitely does match the advertised spec of having a big ole' chunky '58 neck.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  13. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

Agreed, the Slash models and older Bonamassa Epiphones ( last years Green Les Paul) all had chunky necks.

I hate it when the production line changes the spec to appease a Purchase Manager who keeps demanding thinner necks.

Thats a huge problem as I find 90% of guitsrs at Guitar Center today unplayable( unsellable) due to necks that are "too thin" for baby boomers who have genuine experience with real deal genuine 1950's Gibsons.

This new Epiphone indonesian neck does not match the published spec, so time to flip it to anyone who seeks a thin shred neck flying V.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    blacknblues likes this.
  14. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

So strange. Maybe it's because I don't have bigger necked guitars. The amos is the biggest neck now out of my 6 or so guitars. And just feels large compared to many guitars I've played over the years. Measurements would be best I guess.

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  15. Stevie C.

Stevie C. Member

Just got mine today, and it is absolutely a SOLID 2 piece Korina body!! And feather light at 6 3/4 lbs!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    aFriendbFrosty and 67blackcherry like this.
  16. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Member

Congrats!
    Got word today that Sweetwater has a replacement for me... two months later, sheesh. :rolleyes: Should be here within a week.
    Hopefully its better than the first.

FYI, they mentioned they have something like 200+ waiting list. Guess there won't be much trouble selling them if that's the same situation at other retailers

17. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I played a second “Amos” V at the same store this past week. This one had a veneer, but you had to look really hard to see it. It was only visible around the heel cap. Still a two-piece, center seamed body. I loved the neck, and the pickups sounded good through a Hot Rod Deluxe. I’d have bought it except for a finish crack on the treble side of the neck joint. It could have been wood shrinkage, or damage during shipping. I wasn’t going to chance it.

18. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Member

Thought I'd give an update.
    Finally got a replacement to the first one I received.

Plays real nice and it's not damaged... always a plus, lol. And while much harder to tell, it's veneered. TBH, not surprised considering the first one I received.
    Anyway, happy with it so it will stay.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

sinulid and Roe like this.
  19. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Update to my last two posts. I went back and bought the Amos V I tried out. I decided the slight finish crack was meaningless, and the price was right. The store had two of them, and this was the one left. It was also the lighter of the two. At 7lb. 6oz. it’s not the lightest V I’ve owned, but it balances well and the neck is just perfect for me. The workmanship is miles ahead of the Korean made Epi “58” V I used to have.

Setup was fine as is, but I’ll tweak it when I replace the cheap strings. Even with the cheap stock strings it sounds great. Big and snarly, but cleans up nicely when the volume is rolled back. I might actually keep these pickups.

For about .3% of the cost of a real ‘58 Flying V, how could I go wrong?;)

20. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Member

Congrats!:beer. I've been enjoying my replacement.
    Hopefully the crack on yours was nothing close to the mess on the first one I received.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]