Joe B.'s Epi Amos Flying V is released....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Synex7254, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Soul Man

Soul Man Local 83 Silver Supporting Member

Has anyone played both the Amos and the 58 Epi V? How do the neck profiles compare?

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The pictures on the Les Paul Forum clearly show that at least that guitar is veneer. It's really well applied and seems very thin. The fact that JoeB hasn't come on the thread to explain that they AREN'T veneer is pretty suggestive to me.

OTOH, it appears from the folks who have them or have played them, that the grain of the underlying wood goes in the right direction (so not a cutout from a square butcher block), so it should SOUND the same and feel the same as a real, 2 piece V. Is it worth more than the regular Epi V? You'd have to decide...

3. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I held one in my hands at my favorite music store last week. That one at least was NOT veneered. The body was two pieces of wood, center seamed, just like a “real” Flying V. You could plainly see how the wood grain flowed from the top and back into the sides. You could also see the Center seam in the “crotch” of the “V”.

The neck was a rounded shape. Decently large, but not overly so. It felt similar to the Gibson Flying V Custom I also played there.

The only objection I had was the weight of the guitar. It was the heaviest Flying V I’ve ever handled. Most Vs seem to run in the 6 pound range, but this one felt like an 8 pound + guitar.

4. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Member

Those were my pics on the LP Forum.
    I'm honestly beginning to wonder if there might be a mixed-bag of builds out there.

Those that looked fine were completed without veneers and those that had dark streaks on the top or back would get veneers.
    Don't know how likely/viable that would be, but it would explain the conflicting reports.

What I do know is that it had great tone, very different from what I'm used to (mahogany body with HB or P90's).

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd still love to see pics of the neck pickup cavity!

6. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

Who's Amos ?

Why should i care ?

$1200 Epi you got to be kidding.

What's Joe smoking these days ?

7. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I bought one and love it.balances well on the strap, sounds great (even the neck pup which I normally don't use) and has a chunky (to me) neck. Really nice.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. derekeugene

derekeugene Supporting Member

His own farts.

9. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

Mmmmm Dumble farts.

grantaustin likes this.
  10. mjross

mjross Member

There was a time when I would not consider an Epiphone too. However, after the purchase of my Epiphone JB Firebird I Guitars, I have a bit of a different opinion. These Firebird I Guitars are on the level of any Gibson Firebird I’ve owned, in fact, better than most. Things have changed.

Amos was the dealer that originally sold the Gibson V Guitar that JB owns and that the Epiphone V is a copy of. Amos’ mom and pop music store is still open.

Sweetwater has them at $900 which means you could probably get one for maybe $750 if you could catch the right sale. One other thing, if I’m correct they come with a hard shell case.

Peace,

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018