• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Joe Barden Mini-Humbuckers for Collings 290 - ??

SpiritShooter

Silver Supporting Member
G'day all,

I own a Collings 290 which is similar to a LP Deluxe type of axe. It has the standard Lollar P90 pickups.

I am considering installing a Mini-Humbucker type pickup and is wondering if anyone has any experience and or uses the Barden Mini-Humbucker pickups. I also own a Tele with a Barden Soapbar P90 in the neck position that I love, and would consider that route also, but I am more interested in the mini-humbuckers at this point.

Opinions, thoughts recommendations.

Regards,
Jake

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
I'm confused. If you have a 290 then the Barden soapbars are the only drop-in replacement. So wbat pickups are you referring to as minihumbuckers?
-
Austin

SpiritShooter

Silver Supporting Member
Mini-Humbuckers can be installed with a standard Gibson LP Deluxe P90 to Mini adapter frame.
Bardem makes Mini-Humbuckers that sonically are said to fall between the P90 Soapbars and full sized humbuckers.

swiveltung

I don't know the Barden Minis, but in general minis can be VERY middy. If that is what you're looking for. I recently installed a set of Kent Armstrong humbucking 90's. They are not middy like a minibucker and sound somewhere in between a full humbucker and a P90. FWIW. They probably lean toward a Humbucker a bit more.

G'day all,

I own a Collings 290 which is similar to a LP Deluxe type of axe. It has the standard Lollar P90 pickups.

I am considering installing a Mini-Humbucker type pickup and is wondering if anyone has any experience and or uses the Barden Mini-Humbucker pickups. I also own a Tele with a Barden Soapbar P90 in the neck position that I love, and would consider that route also, but I am more interested in the mini-humbuckers at this point.

Opinions, thoughts recommendations.

Regards,
Jake
Jake, FYI I just spent a frustrating weekend trying to replace the Lollars in my 290 with TV Jones P90 sized Filtertrons. It didn't work, and I managed to chip the finish around the pickup routes.

The Lollars are slightly smaller than a Gibson P90, and the Collings' routes are very snug. I couldn't get the TV covers to fit, even without the pickups in. In addition, the wires run where the screws from the TV's mounting ears (and mini-buckers) are, so you'd be drilling into the wires to mount the pickups.

I thought the TVs would drop right in, especially because there is a 290 model with those same pickups. Live and learn, I guess.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
I haven't used the Barden minis, but I put a Barden P90 neck into one of my P90 routed LPs and was blown away. With 500k pot it was fat like you'd expect a P90 ish pickup to be, but the high end detail and tracking of the pick attack was AMAZING. Doesn't sound exactly like anyone else's P90, but it does sound great, it's staying.

SpiritShooter

Silver Supporting Member
Ray...

My tele with the Barden Neck P90 is as you say is amazing. My favorite tele of the few I own.

I think I am going to order the Barden Mini Humbuckers as they are said to be bit fuller than their soapbars. I can then swap my existing Barden P90 neck into the Collings to compare.JBE says the Mini Hum is a bit fuller than the Soapbar...I am interested to hear the difference.

Thanks

Trending Topics