• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Joe Bonamassa 2012 rig rundown (Trainwreck content)

5E3

I truly admire JB's music and it has brought me many hours of listening pleasure. I was fortunate to see him live in a small venue a few years ago; fantastic concert.

JB's humble and down to earth personality are "icing on the cake."

Keep those albums coming Joe!

p.s. love your tone!

Drowned Rabbit

Black Beauty Beats Burst
I read that he bought a fairly rare black Jubilee that he tracked down and uses it instead as it has a bit more headroom. Yes, I study Joe B's tone a bit too much...LOL
Cool. Are the Black Jubilees rarer than the Silver ones? I currently have both a Silver one and a Black one, and it seems like I see more of the Black ones around at any given time.

Last edited:

wishkahdaddy

I actually just sat down and watched/listened to the entire video. Cool that Joe goes into the detail that he does to share with others!
I was not crazy about the Trainwreck either as a stand alone. I thought it sounded very good blended with the Marshall. It cut really nice and the higher/cleaner notes made for some really clear passages. I wish Joe would have demonstrated it a bit more...It becomes more obvious now, however, why the Trainwreck has a spot in the arsenal. Was it just me or did the Cat 5/ Marshall mix sound really bass heavy and super dark? May just be the recording device used too and my speakers at home. That's the problem with clips...

Didnt dig the trainwreck tone.

Nelson89

is it me or if you close your eyes he sounds like the actor John C Reilly ?
haha, you're right, that was bugging me the whole time i was thinking "who does he sound like?". Pity John C Reilly couldn't sing like him in Walk Hard haha.

gpro34

i swear anytime anyone uses a fuzzface and a delay everyone pulls the EJ card. I don't hear it. Esp in his tunes. Maybe in his demoing, but that's a stretch IMo.
It has nothing to do with the fuzzface, but rather the phrasing and use of certain shapes played just as EJ does. The chordal compositional style of Joe B. and EJ are nothing alike however.

trailrun100s

It has nothing to do with the fuzzface, but rather the phrasing and use of certain shapes played just as EJ does. The chordal compositional style of Joe B. and EJ are nothing alike however.
I thought I remembered him saying that he does the EJ thing when he is noodling around...But yeah, in his songs it's different...

Carol-AnnAmps

First of all that's your opinion and nothing more or less than that. Second of all, if you've ever studied anything about how Joe sets his amps up, you would know that it is not always about setting each amp up to sound their best individually. It's about having them set up in a way that TOGETHER they make one amazing sound that suits Joe's tastes. Alan Phillips of Carol Ann told me that Joe's Carol Ann JB 100 that he used on tour was set up in such a way and so mid focused that it was not a great "stand alone" amp. It was built that way by design to compliment the Marshall. Alan made a limited run of 10 of the JB 100's and I own #9. These limited run amps were voiced as stand alone amps for obvious reasons. Mine is absolutely a brilliant sounding amp. Bring on all the Marshall's you want. This JB 100 SMOKES and gives a tone I've never heard out of a Marshall. The Van Weelden is a world class amp too. I know this not from clips or what I read. I actually gig one. Hear these amps live individually, set up like you would play the amp as a stand alone and then you would have a basis to make a valid comment. My guess is you would change your opinion. Just saying'...
It's tough trying to explain. I put it down to a cost based self-justification at times rather than dealing with real facts of a particular players own preferences and rig, which is what is being discussed here.

Here's a few nuggets:

The CA's have all done a 3 year touring stint with the same tubes on full power ever night, I heard the blue CA JB100 last november and told him I thought the tubes sounded rancid. They are all coming back here for service. That boring because it's a real fact.

Joe likes to switch things around. It gets pretty tedious on the road. Changes make for fun. Thats a fact too.

The Jubilees are Joes favourite amps , but they lack a characteristic mid range voice. Thats an opinion from the man himself and I tend to agree with it. The other amps are used to create that mid ranged voice. The CA was designed exactly as that, though can be tweaked to full range. His red EL34 100W and orange EL34 combo are both full range amps. Joe pays for his amps (at least from me he does), he would use just Jubilees of his own full rig if he didn't think there was a benefit to using the others.

There are some very good sounding Jubilees and some very bad sounding ones. These amps all use a combination of diodes and LEDs to create overdrive. Essentially they have an overdrive pedal stuck between stages 1 and 2. Inconsistencies between these components seperate the good from the bad. No end of retubbing will make a bad one sound good. FACT !! Joes is good at picking out the good ones.

IMHO The TW is an odd ball, it wasn't designed for the rig and is way outpowered by the rest of it. 'Bling Factor' maybe...lol....Before any aspiring amp builder thinks a 100W TW amp is what Joe needs, don't bother. That circuit by design doesn't translate to 100W very well or else Kenny would have done it. Joe asked him back when he was alive. Charlie has an Express IMHO that would be better suited to the rig, though I still think power would be an issue. I'm not using the vid as a reference as I've stood one foot away from these amps recently and heard them in real life. Maybe the TW was having a bad night when I heard it (they are famously unpredictable) but I though it just added a mushiness to the jubilee tone and he'd lost the cleaner tone the much higher powered 6L6 CA gave him with the guitar volume rolled back.

The VW is still on the rig, it just sits hidden away behind the stack. A decision based on visuals and size of head cabs, nothing else. Fact.

The best recorded tone I've heard from Joe was the second solo from the song 'Stop'. It's an EL34 JB100. A bit of my opinion thrown in :)

Joe can get the best from any amp he uses. He has feel and dynamics in the same way you can can put the best gear in the world in front of some people and they will still sound like hell. Fact.

People obsess over Joes rig more than Joe does himself...and thats the biggest fact of them all !!!

Last edited:

CyberFerret

The best recorded tone I've heard from Joe was the second solo from the song 'Stop'. It's an EL34 JB100. I defy anyone to tell me any Jubilee sounds like THAT !!! Fact with a bit of my opinion thrown in :)
That second solo on 'Stop!' is one of my all time favourite solos. To me, that epitomises 'the' Les Paul sound. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time I hear that opening run up to that bent wailing F#...

:dude

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member
Cool. Are the Black Jubilees rarer than the Silver ones? I currently have both a Silver one and a Black one, and it seems like I see more of the Black ones around at any given time.
I see silver more than black around. There's some subtle differences Joe has even said so. I have a 50 watt with a mod on the clean channel on perma loan from a friend that sounds killer but they are sorta scooped sounding. Running a plexi cranked at the same time really does blend nicely. I can see how something else with even more present mid character Would blend very nicely.

Carol-AnnAmps

No. Silver Jubilees were for one year only . After the year end the same amp was offered for a while but just in standard black/gold.

big mike

I love that he finally spilled the beans on the supa trem Alan.
You brought that up a long time ago and i get the feeling no one bought it. Lol

big mike

Joe's a true player...IMO he sounds great on everything, and most of those changes are fairly subtle.

I'm going to agree with those that think the Wreck didn't add much though (Sorry Charlie) I prefered when he had the CA and a TwoRock when i saw him in Sonoma and Santa Cruz right after sloe gin.

redshark1105

Once again, put that wreck to a 2x12 with golds to 16 ohms and you will hear that amp. EVM speakers aren't a match to any wreck style amp.

effectsman

IMHO The TW is an odd ball, it wasn't designed for the rig and is way outpowered by the rest of it. 'Bling Factor' maybe...lol....Before any aspiring amp builder thinks a 100W TW amp is what Joe needs, don't bother. That circuit by design doesn't translate to 100W very well or else Kenny would have done it. Joe asked him back when he was alive. Charlie has an Express IMHO that would be better suited to the rig, though I still think power would be an issue. I'm not using the vid as a reference as I've stood one foot away from these amps recently and heard them in real life. Maybe the TW was having a bad night when I heard it (they are famously unpredictable) but I though it just added a mushiness to the jubilee tone and he'd lost the cleaner tone the much higher powered 6L6 CA gave him with the guitar volume rolled back.
So Alan, having stood in front of a TW amp, and being an amp builder of fine rock amps, what are your impressions of them?

I must preface my next statement by saying I have only heard clips of them, and I get how guys that like to go from clean to mean just riding their volume knob might like them, BUT I haven't heard anything in clips of them that would make me want to buy one, or a clone.

I've listened to Glen Kuykendall's clips, a few rocket and express clips, as well as the Alan Myer's Concorde on James Lugo's amp fest, and Pete Thorn's demo of his concorde. But maybe comparing them in a room side by side with other amps would give me a different perspective.

But boy if you criticise them, they seem to have adherents that think they have been awarded the best amps of all time. I must have missed the awards ceremony for that ;) Like I was saying I haven't heard anything in their voicing which would make me want to buy one. The Triptik though, just let me say I'm saving my $$$, and hoping the AUS $ holds it's value against the greenback till the end of this year.

Anyway interested to know your take on them?

CyberFerret

Sadly, I don't think we will be seeing ANY of these amps on his Oz tour later this year... I assume he will just have a rented backline instead of setting up an Asia/Pacific rig also... :cry:

Trending Topics