Joe Bonamassa Concert with a friend

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Distortion, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

Friday night my son and I ventured over to Nashville to attend a Joe Bonamassa concert at the TPAC arena.
    Last time Joe came to town was the first time I saw him live and I was so impressed with his show we jumped at the chance to see him again.
    The sound was amazing.. Joe's playing was flawless.
    For amps he was using two Carol Ann's and a Catagory 5, plus his Marshall Silver Jubilee.

About halfway through the show Joe announced he had a special guest who was going to come out for a couple of songs. The special Guest was Larry Carlton.
    Needless to say this was quite the surprise.
    Larry walked out with his Gibson 335 and it was plugged into a Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature running into a Catagory 5 cabinet.
    I have been a Larry Carlton fan for years but this was the first time I have seen him play live.
    It was very interesting watching the interaction between Joe and Larry.
    We were lucky enough to have 2nd row center seats and I got some pretty good pictures..
    This was definitely a great show..
    As my son and I were leaving the show he commented Joe was the best guitar player he has ever seen.
    I just might have to agree with him..
    Boy, what a show...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Grat pics-one of the best of the 1-off Gibson Skylark I have seen. I needc to see Joe again-last time was as the opener on the Frampton tour in 2003.

3. snoggin

snoggin Member

Has he lost weight?. Joe is looking kinda slimmer

4. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Man, I would have loved to have been there.

5. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Great pictures.
    Thanks for posting.

6. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Did Larry school Joe on "ecomony of notes" approach...I'm sure that was a interesting clash of styles and tones....

7. madsr

madsr Member

much like it's tough to 'school' Larry.. I'm sure it's pretty tough to 'school' Joe. He's pretty adept(sp.?) at not overdoing it while playing with others and shows much respect(at least all the times I've seen him play with others).

8. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I've never seen Joe, but have a few of his CDs trying to see what the hype was all about. I can listen to a few tracks in a mix, but beyond that, he's too bomblastic for my ears.

BTW - nice pics to the original poster...

9. madsr

madsr Member

He definately is 'bomblastic' as you call it... funny, for me I enjoy seeing him play live more because I first saw him when he was just 15 and was always very accessible and humble to whomever wanted to say hello or ask him questions(me included). I too though find myself not listening to his albums so much, and in fact haven't seen him live in a couple of years now since he's becoming more and more popular(not intentionally, just haven't had the time when he was playing near). He's definately heavily influenced by Eric Johnson and you can hear it in his live stuff more than on his records. He does slow it down well when he wants.

10. Distortion

Distortion Flame Maple Maniac Silver Supporting Member

Before hearing about Joe here on The Gear Page I didn't have a clue who he was. On a fluke I grabbed a couple of tickets to last years show. That was all it took.
    The "hype " is well deserved.
    Joe does play loud and fast but it is extremely musical..
    If you ever get the chance to see him play live don't miss the opportunity.. I believe he will make a convert out of you.. :)

Regarding the question related to Joe's weight.. It looks as though he has lost a considerable amount of weight.. He looked to be in great shape.

11. 55goldtop

55goldtop Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cool pics - I can't believe how lame I am for not even knowing Joe was playing here :(

12. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Dunno if Joe needs much schooling there, remembering he grew up ion stages with BB King. I doubt Carlton would have played wiht him if he thought he was going to be played over. I'll check Joe's forum today, almost certainly be a youtube link to this, twil be nice to see it.

13. cram

cram Member

I saw him last year at the berkley performance center. He ripped.
    Our band covers zztops' just got paid because of him. I loved hearing that live. With appologies to zztop as I've never seen them play it live...

I love his tone. I love all the little things I hear him play from his influences.. from johnson to carlton.

14. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

Cool, I've never seen Joe with a MusicMan or anything similar. That's interesting. He's a super nice guy too.

15. spectreman

spectreman Member

Did anybody catch the show in ATL last night? A friend called me up an hour before the show with extra tickets, but there was no way for us to get a babysitter that fast.....but we wanted to go!

16. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

My son and I are going to see Joe this Wednesday. Thanks for the pics, it's getting us all fired up for a great show!

17. niersbach

niersbach Member

Yeah...I cant beleive he is playing a Petrucci signature guitar...with the JP inlays too!! LOL SWEET!!!

18. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

Joe was just rippin' last night in Atlanta. Sorry you missed it. First time I've seen him live and was just blown away with his energy. Played his ass off for 2+ hours without more than a few seconds between songs. Very powerful performance IMO. As someone else mentioned, I was surprised at how much more slim Joe was than what I had envisioned. Really a great show. Exceeded my expectations many times over.

19. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Joe has come a long way. Saw him in the early 90's, he was 12 yo, rippin' SRV covers. Bought a Super Reverb from his dad. Hung out with him when he was in "Bloodline", always a sweet, down to earth guy.

20. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I love his music. And plan on catching him the next time here at The Belly Up.
    Thats awesome Carlton was there to shair the stage with him.
    Looks like you got to see and hear a really fine show.

I would venture to say they are both friends and don't bother with who's gonna school who.
    Great shots btw. Thanks for shairing.