Joe Bonamassa/Fender question

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cber1517, Feb 22, 2009.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Supporting Member

Maybe someone can help me with this question - I seem to remember that Joe Bonamassa got upset with Fender over something at one point and that moved him towards preferring Gibson and Les Pauls. Am I crazy or did I actually read this a few years ago? I thought maybe it was a dispute over a signature model that he wasn't happy with but I don't know.

Somebody help me!

:huh:dunno

2. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

They copied that gold sparkle strat of his without mentioning it to him or giving him any credit.

3. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I thought Joe Perry had a CS Fender Strat with gold sparkle finish that he was using as far back as the Nine Lives tour in 1993-94?

4. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

Joe mentioned the line that fender came out with had the same wear as his. He said it was especially noticeable on the neck of the guitar.

5. dannyboy2.0

dannyboy2.0 Member

I remember some interview where he suggested that these days anyone playing electric blues on a Strat was instantly an "SRV wanna-be" so he switched to Les Pauls, something like that. With his talent it doesnt matter what he is using really...

Dan

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Joe B was not the first guy to play a gold sparkle/RW Strat (Dick Dale anybody???) and Yes, Joe Perry also played a gold sparkle/RW Strat soem years ago but Joe got a picture taken playing a gold sparkle/RW parts Strat and a few months later a few of them popped up at a big CS Fender dealer...it seams that bugged Joe a bit and he's backed off of Fenders since then however he was always more of a Gibson player anyway.

7. gunnar1104

gunnar1104 Member

Oh yeah that was the other reason, the SRV comparison. He didn't like that...

8. crifasta

crifasta Silver Supporting Member

Based on his comment in the latest Guitar Player he certainly seem to have some animosity towards Fender. In talking about a young player he has mentored he said something to the effect of "he plays a strat, but I don't hold that against him."

IIRC the guitar in question was basically parts from an original 60s strat that were mated to that gold CS body. So if the body came from the custom shop and they duplicated it, wouldn't they be duplicating a guitar finish they came up with? Let's face it, people would be buying those based more on the finish (popularized by Joe of course), than other features, which was Fender's to begin with. It's got to be something more than that. Too bad too, I liked his tone better with a strat/tele. His LP tone sounds muddy to me a lot of the time.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I own a 1/100 1964 Fender Strat Masterbuilt that is gold sparkle. But that was based off a guitar that Bob Dylan had. I bought it because I saw Joe's one night and thought that gold sparkle was cool, however, his is a brighter sparkle. That is the only gold sparkle strat that I saw Fender making.

10. JTC

JTC Member

I met Joe the first time when he was 14 or so (pre-Bloodline). At that time he said he preferred telecasters, but management was insisting he play strats in order to evoke the SRV comparison.

11. nsriley

nsriley Member

Yup that's why. I was talking to a friend at our local music store that knows Joe very well and was telling me this this the other day.

12. madscientist

madscientist Member

Joe actually addressed this over at his forum. Supposedly, he had contacted Fender about doing a sig model and they blew him off as a nobody. Then, they came out with a similar model and that was the last straw for Joe. He's a Gibson guy now, though, I do prefer his strat tones.

Great player!

13. crifasta

What did they copy? Was it reliced? Did the neck have special frets, profile. It was their gold finish to begin with.

14. nsriley

nsriley Member

See the post right above yours. :)

15. crifasta

He must have just squeaked that in while I was typing. :jo That's what I was getting at, that there must have been more of a slight involved other than them selling gold sparkle strats.

16. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

If it's the gold sparkle strat I own, they were clear about it being copied after Dylan's '64. What other gold sparkle have they done?

17. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I prefer his LP tones anyway. That demo video I posted a while back where he demos his 2008 rig with his signature Gold Top was tone city.

18. rickc007

rickc007 Gold Supporting Member

The Gold sparkle strat that came out a few years ago.
    The Greg Fessler Masterbuilt of 100 pieces, followed by
    a team built, unlimited run, was a dead ringer for Joes

I once posted on his forum cuz I ran into one at Sunset
    Hollwood Guitar Center, and thought Joe traded his in

was dead ringer

I'm sure Fender knows who Joe is, he once had a Fender
    endorsement, and he stated on his page that Fender had
    his Gold Strat in their shop

With all the "star recognition" and "signature models"
    Fender puts out, it's surprising they didnt make that a Joe model

That strat was very synonymous with Joe

Yes Dick Dale played a gold one, but he also had a signature
    Dick Dale model

Think there was also a comment that Joe wasn't "platinum enough"
    for a Fender sig

Either way, it was the only Limited run, that also had a teambuilt
    follow up. Guess they thought it would sell more for "some reason"

The Joe B Les Paul has sold out it's 300

19. Uncle_Salty

Uncle_Salty Member

I thought that guitar was actually a Gigliotti, not a Fender...

20. The Captain

The Captain Member

That's the pretty Tele.
    The gold sparkle strat was a Fender. I read Joe saying he does not allow any Fender marked anything on his stage. ONe of his band guys liked fender strings or a towel or something, and I can't remember if even taht was banned, or if hte allowwed it.
    They really pissed him off.