1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Bonamassa interview/cover of Apr 09 GP magazine

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 5E3, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 5E3

5E3 Member

I thought the interview was good. He's really loving his JB Inspired LP Goldtop, and says he used it almost exclusively on his new album.

2. KazJY

KazJY Member

Yeah, I just got this, and read most of it last night. He knows his gear, man.

Any idea why the knobs of his pedals are taped over with black tape? Is it so we don't see, or so the knobs don't move? (I am guessing the latter).

3. Bankston

Bankston Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a big fan of Bonamassa.

4. guitgator

guitgator Member

I'm guessing so they don't move. Bonamassa's never exactly been secretive about his pedalboard or settings...plenty of vids out there on Youtube where he goes into what he uses...which isn't much anymore really.

5. ckeathley14

ckeathley14 Member

Brad Paisleys pedal knobs were taped in his interview with GP...then I found a website that showed them with no tape at all...wierd.

6. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I thought the interview was very good, too. Glad to see Joe on the cover of GP... he certainly deserves it.

7. joseph

joseph Member

sounds like he plays LOUD.

8. nsriley

nsriley Member

Can't wait to get my issue in the mail. I'm a huge Joe B fan! He' featured in the British mag Guitarist as well. I have been working on getting his live tone on my Axe-Fx......and getting a bit closer, I just need his fingers and hands. LOL!

9. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

My favorite part is where he ranted a bit about low powered amps.

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

yeah, about the "Pepsi challenge" and all that. He backs up everything he says, which is good - he just doesn't rant, and leave it at that.

I have not listened to enough of him. This interview re-fueled my interest.

11. Bankston

Bankston Member

When I saw him, it was VERY loud.

12. 5E3

5E3 Member

I thought it was interesting that he sets his amp controls exactly the same for every show regardless of the venue size. He uses those Gamma isolation pads to remove the stage floor from the equation, and puts an "M" shaped plexiglass deflector in front of the cabs.

I need to re-read the article and absorb some more. The man definitely knows how he likes his tone and has incredible chops. And BTW, I think he's an excellent singer too :AOK

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  13. Jeffj

Jeffj Supporting Member

What was his rant about low-powered amps?

14. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

Nothing serious mind you. Just a general statement about how he definitively prefers high powered amps, not for the volume, but for the headroom. He also made a statement to the effect that someone says 'my 50 watter will keep up with your 100 watter' and that statement, in his experience, is total BS when it comes to feel and headroom.

15. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

It was interesting to read how the shape of the plexiglass matters. It seems logical, but it hadn't occurred to me that straight plexiglass would have different sonic properties than m-shaped plexiglass. If anyone would know, it's Joe B.

16. guitarb

guitarb Member

I've seen this guy live......I think 5 times....best live tone I've heard. Someone stated earlier that he was very loud when they saw him......I would have to disagree...I've seen him in large and small venues and never found him loud. Now...ya want to talk about the Black Crowes...they were deafening. The only concert I've ever walked out on....and I'm a fan!

17. 5E3

5E3 Member

According to Joe's web site he is playing the Royal Albert Hall May 4, 2009. That's a capacity of 8,000 and would be a blast to see!

18. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Hes really not that loud. Ive heard people say this but its not bad at all. Ive seen him 4 times and met him. Joe is a very easy guy to talk to. I have a ton of awesome pics right up close man! He was practically sweating on us. Be sure to check out Joes web site and fan club. I have been a member for allmost 2 years now. Jow posts very often and will even answer alot of your questions.

Hope to see many of you over there!!

19. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

He's here in Buffalo 2/27 and GF and I have tix, good times.
    I've seen him 4x always with shields for his cabs and he was loud.

20. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

The folks who saw him that thought he was loud, saw him before the Auralex/plexiglass shields were being used.