Joe Bonamassa On Jools Holland

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bluesful, Oct 20, 2018.

1. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

It's hard to believe because he's wildly more successful than his peers his age playing this music, all of whom actually do what you want Joe to do.

You don't know what you're talking about to put it bluntly.

Steeltoe, R3deemed and Ryno1331 like this.
  2. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

Of course. He’s alienating the people who would just find another lame reason to dis him.

mobius, Ryno1331 and Bluesful like this.
  3. mobius

mobius Member

The only thing controversial about JB is that he's successful playing blues rock, a style of music that TGP peeps feel have well mastered as anyone can wank on pentatonics by age 5.

I'll let the reader draw the logical inference.

4. Dasein

Dasein Member

tHAT WAS JUST SMOKIN' -- LIKE FULL ON SMOKIN'! aND jULES hOLLAND HAS BEEN AND IS THE BEST THING ON tv SINCE AT LEAST THE 90'S....

Crap -- bloody caps lock -- I ain't going back and retyping that because dammit - I'm a bloody legend too.

gproud, R3deemed, Ryno1331 and 2 others like this.
  5. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

Are you the one?

6. Dasein

Dasein Member

I asked my Mom... she said I was #2.

7. Wyatt Earp

Wyatt Earp Member

Please post an example of young man music.

8. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

Das Ein - literally translates to The One. Not sure on the der, die, das, aspect. Might depend on what the one actually was...

9. Dasein

Dasein Member

You are not wrong,- I should have picked up on that - but in this context Dasein is basically "Being" -- basically the existential experience of what it means to "Sein" (to-be) in Heidegger's writing. For double the pretension I've used Franz Stuck's "Sisyphus" as my avatar. If that doesn't signal to everyone that my head is up my arse and my tongue is in my cheek I don't know what would.

10. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

Joe wearing a suit brings an element of CLASS to his shows. Brian Setzer does the same with his big band. Joe is a humble man in person, downplays his abilities when being complimented. I've chatted with him several times. He's at the forefront in his field, and he deserves all the success he's worked so hard for.

12. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

13. AintNoEddie

AintNoEddie Silver Supporting Member

Monster tone, killer chops. I don't mind the stage outfit. Certainly looks more pulled together than his pre-Shirley stuff. Too contrived? Maybe a touch, but again... why should this stop someone from enjoying his awesome music?

That being said, I personally prefer his older tunes from a music style's perspective. The recent songs I've heard are constructed around what I'd call cliche rock patterns where my ears just have developed some kind of disdain for. But again, hearing his fat Strat sound is still rewarding enough for watching the JH video. Kudos for his success, overall he's just so much of a 'lighthouse' person for rock music & guitar gear, we all have to really thank him for that.

14. gproud

gproud Member

Most (successful) musicians use a stage persona to some extent. Joe dressing nicely with his hair slicked back is hardly in the same league as a David Lee Roth, Steven Tyler, or even Kiss. I appreciate any player taking time to ensure their appearance lends itself to what they're doing on stage, and would rather see someone playing the type of music Joe plays wear a nice outfit like that than up there with a t-shirt and jeans. It's an image he's cultivated over the years and it works very well for him.

PierreL likes this.
  15. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

I think it's a tradition for some. Dressing well also shows respect for what he's doing.

And,.. wait for it........... it's a SHOW. Didn't you ever watch the little rascals? "Hey let's put on a show!"

I used to be like, yea JB, ok.
    But lately I've been checking out videos of him more and man the guy is a monster player.
    Nothing but respect for the guy. Great post OP!

- D

PierreL likes this.