Joe Bonamassa RIPS!!!!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by daveg777, Jun 24, 2006.

1. daveg777

daveg777 Member

Just got the most recent issue of Guitarist magazine, the DVD with Joe is unreal! Bro' you chops and phrasing are MAD!!!!

Dave loves Joe B 4-ever! (wellll, you know what I mean!) :D

2. PLEXIBLE

PLEXIBLE Member

No kidding. How does he pick those fast EJ runs. he talks about muting but does not show how to pick it.

3. LR1400

LR1400 Member

The way I pick them and the way EJ describes how he picks (along with his picking away from the string. Which is not exaggerated on the quick runs but more subtle) which is to use the side of the pick, not the tip per se, but you brush across the string with the side of the pick. You will get that smooth picking tone which sounds almost like you are hammering on and pulling off legato style.

Get the ALC DVD or one of those instructional DVDs and look at his right hand. EJ picks 90% of those quick runs. Examine his right hand closely, look how his thumb is cocked almost bent backwards, when you pick this way you will notice that the only way to get that smooth attack is to pick with the edge of the pick, brushing across the string. Examine his left hand and you will notice that a lot of the time he uses his first and third finger and a lot of times he picks 2 notes per string, sometimes 3. Which can make it harder to go fast with only 2 notes per string but EJ and shawn Lane can fly on pentatonics better than anyone. When he picks more than 2 per string a lot of times he will use more finger and thumb movement while picking making it easier to pick on one string, but across multiple strings it is mostly wrist.

4. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

which joe cd can u recommend for someone just starting to listen to him?

5. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I read somewhere that he said Blues deluxe was his favorite.

6. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

Blues deluxe, but you can't miss with any of them. If you can fine Bloodlines, get it! He was like 16 when he recorded it.

7. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

He's dead? :confused:

Oh-rips......

:D

8. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Here would be my list (please note I'm partial to the better recorded albums):
    - Blues Deluxe
    - You & Me
    - New Day Yesterday: Live
    - Had to Cry Today
    - So, It's Like That
    - Bloodline
    - A New Day Yesterday

They're all good and contain great playing. Seeing Joe live though is a much better presentation of his talents.

9. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

i watched him on "music lab" on INHD 2 for cablevision. just plain sick

10. sws1

sws1 Member

May play great, but I would never want to take lessons from him. He didn't articulate a clear thought anywhere in that Guitarist video.

"Eric Johnson, he does this: (plays real fast). Stuff like that."

Uh ok. Perfectly clear.

11. karmadave

karmadave Member

I agree. Joe is pretty amazing. Especially how he cops those fast EJ-type runs. I also enjoyed the Matt Schofield lesson on the Guitarist DVD. He may not have the technical chops of a JB, but is playing is very soulful IMHO...

-KD