• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Joe Bonamassa's current rig introduction. Four twins on 9!!! Sheesh! LOL

Telefunky

Tweed High Power Twins are a whole different thing than BF, SF Twin Reverbs or SuperTwins.
Completely distinct amps and tone, more Marshall than what people think Fenders sound like.
100% correct. The Tweeds sound nothing like the Blackface/Silverface circuits widely associated with Fender. Tweed Twins are creamy, woody, warm and chimey. Think of the classic solo on The Eagle's "One Of These Nights". Don Felder might have used a Tweed Deluxe, but a cranked Tweed Twin has the same basic tone just bigger. The closest relative would be an early Marshall JTM45.

ruger9

100% correct. The Tweeds sound nothing like the Blackface/Silverface circuits widely associated with Fender. Tweed Twins are creamy, woody, warm and chimey. Think of the classic solo on The Eagle's "One Of These Nights". Don Felder might have used a Tweed Deluxe, but a cranked Tweed Twin has the same basic tone just bigger. The closest relative would be an early Marshall JTM45.
That's because Marshall stole Fender's Bassman amp circuit and put a 12AX7 in V1 :aok

stevehollx

Did he ever combine a Fender with a Marshall like an EJ? Seems like that would be right up Bonamassa's ally and he'd probably sound awesome with a Fender Twin and Jubilee type of mix.
Joe doesn't seem to use clean amps much, so I'm not sure he'd use a twin. He's using the tweed amps like someone would use a bassman and cranking the **** out of them and using volume to control the gain.

A twin+jubilee+dumble setup for him would be awesome, though. I think he's going through a minimalistic phase...the gear will return. We all go thorugh that cycle of too much gear, purge back to a couple pedals and a cranked amp, and then the complexity sneaks back in...

Phineas Ball

Fuzz
Gold Supporting Member
Well, loud cleans won't be a problem with that rig I'm a-thinking, right off the bat. I don't know, do tweed twins stay very clean when turned way up, or do they start getting dirty after about 2 or 3 like tweed deluxes ;-)?
Last time I visited "my" amp tech - who does work for every A-lister you could name - he had one of JB's HP Tweed Twins on the bench, and let me play it. Holy elfin' moly, was it incredible. Huge, ripping crunch, much more like what one associates with Marshall than Fender. Kinda life altering, actually. I came home from that and started searching Reverb and such, thinking, "go for it, man, you only live once!" Don't worry - I cooled before dropping twenty-five large.

My Twin, which is a '70s Silverface converted to Blackface spec, stays more or less clean to about 6 or 7, at which point it is really really really loud. I jam with a loud bass player and loud drummer and play at around 4.5 - 5. That's as loud as my 50 watt JMP running around 1:00 to 2:00.

@pak1001 - thanks for posting that Santana clip. What a jam. Sounded to me, especially at first, that standing in front of four Twins was inducing Carlos to turn down (at the guitar). I liked when he got into the cream zone, but he kept backing off.

Chris Scott

Someone outta tell him that he needs to f'ing ignore the haters...I'm sure a lot of it's due to not getting enough sleep, but still - it seems like he's had enough radda radda radda from the pond scum.

He's doing a hell of a job out there, and doesn't need to justify squat.

Spooky Action

He may have just gotten tired of lugging all that stuff around every day, though I can't see how this rig is all that much less, except for the pedals. I'm sure he probably has an army of roadies. Could be he just wanted to switch things up, try something different for a while. It certainly wasn't because the sound quality was lacking.
I am sure his roadies lug his gear with the Joe Bonamassa brand dollies up their Joe Bonamassa brand ramp and plug them into the Joe Bonamassa power conditioner which is connected to the Joe Bonamassa brand mains. After the show they load the Joe Bonamassa custom shop 18-wheeler before they drive to the Joe Bonamassa Inn for the night.

I neither love nor dislike Joe. I just think the branding is overkill. I would do it too, but I would also know deep down it is a joke waiting to be laughed at. I also laugh at Gene Simmons.

Last edited:

Telefunky

"my" amp tech had one of JB's HP Tweed Twins and let me play it. Holy elfin' moly, was it incredible. Kinda life altering, actually.
My sentiments exactly. Most guitar players haven't experienced anything like it, and it's impossible to describe. Can't comment on Dumbles and Trainwrecks 'cuz I've never played them, but a Tweed Twin will smoke any regular production amp ever made, including a Tweed Bassman.

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
I am sure his roadies lug his gear with the Joe Bonamassa brand dollies up their Joe Bonamassa brand amp and plug them into the Joe Bonamassa power conditioner which is connected to the Joe Bonamassa brand mains. After the show they load the Joe Bonamassa custom shop 18-wheeler before they drive to the Joe Bonamassa Inn for the night.

I neither love nor dislike Joe. I just think the branding is overkill. I would do it too, but I would also know deep down it is a joke waiting to be laughed at. I also laugh at Gene Simmons.
This is awesome! :D

Papanate

Where did you get the idea that it bothered me?
I generalized your quote - on TGP there is a whole contingent that
dislikes JB's marketing drive - and I was generalizing about that
not specifically you.

I think his thing is brilliant - and the kind of guy who would of owned the record
companies back in the 60s - like Steve Miller - who played hardball with the
music business. IOWs JB knows his value and worth.

Papanate

I just think the branding is overkill. I would do it too, but I would also know
deep down it is a joke waiting to be laughed at. I also laugh at Gene Simmons.
At his core Gene Simmons is a greedy man - something I don't think JB is at his core.
I can tell he saw the future of the music business when he started out. He's almost like
a music store on wheels.

But you know what - go back to the days of Bing Crosby if you want to see a marketing
genius. The man probably would hawk his own mother if she wouldn't have killed him! LOL!
I see JB in the same light - he's markets like the 40s - never all that intrusive - but always
bubbling underneath looking for new opportunities.

Roe

Its closer to an early 100w plexi

presence

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone know what guitar and pickups he's using here?

I'm guessing the guitar is a reissue and the pickups are DiMarzio?

Desert Blues

If you're drawing a large crowd in Austin, the debate over 'coolness factor' is over, whether one likes the result or not. Just sayin'.
I'd have to agree (and I've never really listened to JBs music but I dig the guy) I have a lot of good friends from Texas and they are officially the coolest folk walking the planet, thats coming from a Brit.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom