Joe B's new rig

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Plague Dog, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I will admit to this one, what I have heard bored me.

I pulled up Cliffs of Dover and am listening to it right now. Kind of a sing song ghey whiteboy riff with a drum machine backing him up. pretty impressive for what it is.

2. funkycam

funkycam Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Living In The Palace Of The King, Big D of DFW

You know, it's one thing to say, "Not my thing", or "I don't get it", but I don't understand the acrimony here. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you may not intend it to be, but your comments are an insult to artist and fans alike.

Not sure how old you are, but at 52, I long ago figured out how little traction negativity gets you in life. I sincerely hope this is something you've already figured out, and maybe this is just an oversight, since I've read, agreed with and respected a lot of your other posts.

Respectfully,

4. jms6668

jms6668 Member

When I read that from Joe B.,I thought he was referring to the issues some early 50 watt Jubes had; they were a slightly different circuit. Much, much fizzier with less balls and low end to the tone. I've had 3 50 watters and 3 100 watters through the years (Still have one of each). There is a starting point in the 50 watt serial numbers when they started getting as sweet as the 100 watters.

5. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Thanks for the update video. His tone is monsterous along with his technique. I hope to see him live again soon.

6. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

Guitar Dave... okay, you're right, but I find it offensive and irritating with all the posters who talk about Joe B just being some kind of EJ or SRV rip off clone. He's not either... He can and does incorporate parts of their styles into certain songs, just like he plays Jimmy Page riffs, and Billy Gibbons riffs. He's able to copy (read pay tribute to) just about anyone he wants to.

I believe Stevie Ray to be one of the most expressive, dynamic guitar players to ever pick up the instrument, bar none... But Joe is technically better (as shown in the video clips posted by Funkycam) and just as dynamic.
    EJ to me doesn't hold a candle to either, his playing feels like he's playing nursery rhymes. I get it, but like you said, It's just not for me.

I apologize for going off in a previous post.

7. AmplifyMe

AmplifyMe Silver Supporting Member

This guy just squeezes out every ounce (blood, sweat and tears) of what he has to give to an audience. I think his playing is stellar, tone is great, but his performance is his gift.
    If any of us, as a collective, exhibited that kind of passion daily in what calls to us creatively (talent) without regard to the outcome our lives would become more incredible then we could imagine.
    We would also have less time to pick apart artist on gear chat boards for reasons that have nothing to do with them (the artist) and everything to do with ourselves.

I have to get some of his CD's!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDAQm2qWnYw&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNGfD6i7ckQ&feature=related

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Joe looks great too! Lost a bit of weight!

9. drod2045

drod2045 Member

that version of "if heartaches" is my favorite performance of his...top 3 at least. Its on his 1st live CD (where i first heard it)

10. DrSax

DrSax Member

barf. Not something that is quantifiable or provable, and who the heck wants it to be anyway? Why would you even care to say that? Is someone getting a merit badge?

11. procos

procos Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Where is Joe from? His accent always sounds weird to me. Never heard an accent like that before.

12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

He's definitely got that yankee drawl I've heard from people hailing from upstate NY. I'm guessing Buffalo, maybe Rochester.

13. Mike Schriber

Mike Schriber Member

He is from Utica NY (just east of Syracuse). I grew up a few hours south of Utica and I agree Joe has a unique accent on certain words.

14. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

As a Texas boy, all you Neyawkas have unique accents on certain words :rimshot.

But as someone who's done some traveling, and has had very good friends from both Rochester and Buffalo, I hear some of that region in Joe's accent. There's also something else there not as easy to ID, almost a touch southeaster U.S., maybe something on one parent's side of the family of the other. I'm from Texas, but spent childhood summers in Louisianna with all kinds of coonass relatives. When I go back or am around folks of similar Cajun heritage, the accent slips out (and I still believe there isn't a recipe in the world that can't benefit by adding Tabasco sauce).

I'll bet Joe B spent some extended time when he was younger either in the southeast, or around family and close friends from there.

15. mibu

mibu Member

16. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

No one will take your opinions seriously with posts like this.

17. JoeP

JoeP Member

That's what alot of people who really don't get the depth of his knowledge thinks.... seriously.

Listen for a week to nothing except classical piano..

Then listen to Eric Johnson..

You might think way different when you broaden your horizons toward his influences.. There is way more to EJ than most think..

Not that it's everyones thing, but to discount his knowledge, much less his exceptional talent, shows a real lack of understanding who he really is and where he came from.

18. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

What a great interview. I would have loved to be there...

And to the dude who says listen to classical piano so I can gain an appriciation for EJ... My question is, why would I want to put that much work into EJ appriciation, just to get along better with people like you?

I listen to classical piano all the time, I listen to Bill Evans (arguably the best jazz pianist who ever lived) on a regular basis also. None of that makes Cliffs of Dover sound anything more than a re-worked nursery rhyme. but hey, if you like nursery rhymes, power to ya brother...

19. edwardsforest

edwardsforest Member

really enjoy watching these types of videos. Always interesting. To be honest, having read things constantly about this guy here and there, it seems like even the videos posted a few pages back in this thread is probably of no value to someone looking to mimic his rig. According to a couple of the amp dudes on here that support him, looks like hes changing things quicker then some of the guys on here!

20. JoeP

JoeP Member

Evidently you don't understand the difference in classical piano, and jazz piano.. So trying to get you to understand and appreciate anything is a moot point.

I guess getting along with anyone ''like me'', must be more of a chore than you care to handle with such a fabulous attitude toward fellow human beings.