Joe Pass/Satin Doll -what next?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by squeally dan, Jun 25, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I am new to jazz & found a book with several songs with the tab and play along cd. THe song that stuck out the most was Joe Pass' version of Satin doll. I find it easier when their is a strong melody to latch on too. I think his chordal solo style makes the melody more defineable. Anyway, I am working on Satin Doll and while I can tell it will take me a while to get the entire thing down, I am making progress. I am curious what might be a good next song, especially if their is something in the same vein that I could work on.

2. jhumber

jhumber Member

Some songs I've looked at through the Jimmy Bruno site, which all feature great melodies:

Blue Bossa
    All The Things You Are
    Green Dolphin Street

As well as those, two of my faves are Summertime and Autumn Leaves....both very popular, loads of version available to reference, and great tunes to learn from.

Cheers
    Jordan.

3. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

Try to learn the songs you are *really* interested in. The ones you love to hear and play.

Sounds almost too simple, I know. For me that was (and is) the only way to learn new stuff. I have to love it.

That being said: round midnight, blue in green, flamenco sketches, Porkpie, sunny, are songs that *I* love.

Have fun! :)

4. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Anyone else tackled Joe Pass's version of Satin Doll? Did he use a pick when playing all the chordal type solos mixed with single line stuff? This one is hard for me. Its slowly getting easier but definately not what I'm used too. THe fact that I like the song/melody is making it fun and easier since I can hear where it is going.

5. Clifford-D

Clifford-D Member

Pick/fingers

He was equal with both.

6. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Which version? It's fingers here (but you could easily do the melody with a pick)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyjQv52Nzno

I'd recommend looking into more standards. Satin Doll is an Ellington tune- some other Ellington that's nice for solo guitar:

Chelsea Bridge
    In a Sentimental Mood
    Prelude to a Kiss
    Solitude

Some others that are nice:

Body and Soul
    Tangerine
    Skylark
    When Sunny Gets Blue

7. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Guitar One published a transcription of Joe Pass's Lush Life from Virtuoso #4. I don't have the actual mag; I photocopied the song at my local library. :) I think it was a Guitar One from sometime in 2001. Maybe your library has a subscription?

Lush Life has a pretty strong, lyrical and recognizable melody and the melody is very evident in Pass's version of the song. It might make a nice next stop for you.

8. garyh

garyh Member

Some other familiar tunes could be:
    Georgia,
    Don't Get Around anymore,
    Don't Mean a Thing if It Ain't Got that Swing,
    Black Orpheus (A Day in the Life of a Fool),
    Autumn Leaves.

Do a search online for standards and that should give you an idea. Work on the familiar ones first.

9. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Cool ideas! Thanks!

I have gotten a lot of the rhythm stuff down, but just now getting to the single note stuff. I normally don't learn solo stuff note for note (partly because I'm not very good at doing so), but I really like the runs on this one. Gonna give it a shot before I move on.