Joe Perry's effects?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joeperry, Oct 2, 2006.

1. joeperry

joeperry Member

Hi There!

MEGA Joe Perry fan here. Would like to know if anyone here has any info on what kind of effects guitars and amps, Joe uses on Aeromsith current tor, any pics etc. from both previous and the new tour would also be appreciated?

Best Regards!

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

there's a thread about famous rigs floating around here somewhere. he and whitford are in it from the recent tour

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

check out my thread titled "pedalboards of the stars...TGP VERSION" its about 16 pages long or so so it may take a while till' you find what youre lookin' for. Its right after Brad Whitefords board I think.

5. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

6. rabbit

rabbit Member

Yeah, that´s his board! Saw several pics of it throughout the years and it didn´t change very much. Seems like Joe is not as obsessed with pedals as Brad is (with the "Pedal of the Month"-spot on his board e.g.) but this one really gets the work done, I think.

7. joeperry

joeperry Member

Thank you guys. Great pic, have you taken it yourself?
    ALso any info on Joe's amps and guitars (current/past) tour(s)?
    Last: Know this might be tough, but anybody here knows who manufactures (brand) the boards (specs/dimensions) that Joe uses?
    Here in DK I've only come acrros the brand called pedaltrain but they don't look as cool as the one shown in pic of Joe's board?!

Thanks again!

8. effectfreak

effectfreak Member

Does anyone know his 1970s gear?

9. theanalogfuture

theanalogfuture Member

No, I didn't take it, just found it here on the interweb.

Actually Aerosmith are coming to NashVegas, I should go see 'em.

But I would have to sit through a Motley Crue set.

10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I saw an article about him in a guitar player where they showed a bunch of his gear. It was right before his last solo effort. He had a room with shelves and shelves of pedals and small tube combos. It would be fun to just spend an hour there.

11. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I roadied for him at a JPP show (about 83), and he had this custom effects pedalboard that was in the shape of a V, and was the base of his mike stand. Marshalls for amps.

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The March 1979 Guitar Player cover story has a full length interview with Joe about his guitars, amps and efx used during the 1970's. He had a custom built efx rack housing a bunch of MXR pedals like Compressor, Flanger, Phaser, etc plus a Colorsound Overdriver and rack mount MXR DDL. He controlled them with an arrow shaped footswitcher mounted at the base of his mic stand. Kinda like a primitive Bradshaw rig. He was suing heavily modded Music Man HD heads and a selection of Les Pauls including the famous tobacco burst 1959 that Slash had and gave back to Joe for a 50th B-day present, a black LP Custom, 50's Strat, a natural Tele with Maple neck and Bill Lawrence neck position bucker, LP Jr and BC Rich Bich(red) and Mockingbird plus doubleneck Bich. If you go to the official Aerosmith website there are pics from this latest tour and it looks like Joe has the above pictured pedalboard plus Marshall heads-1959 model and a square logo Marshall head-presumably one of the new JTM-45/100 ltd edition ones. He has also continued his use of the shoulder bag enclosed talk box for many years.

13. effectfreak

effectfreak Member

Thanks a lot for that info. So he used coloround overdriver for distortion in 1970s?

FX

14. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

The Colorsound info came from a passage in the "Walk This Way" Aero Biography which I have read 100 times!!! It is probably likely that Joe did use one around 1975 as that is when Jeff Beck opened some Aerosmith shows(imagine that double bill) and JB was using an Overdriver at that time. The Guitar Player interview has a pic of Joe with Jeff backstage. Beck is playing that Olympic White Strat which looks like it has a bound fingerboard. Joe idolized Beck at that time.

15. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

What are the yellow boxes?

16. TBone

TBone Member

I can help you there - Joe and Brad have toured for the past 4 to 5 years with a 35" wide Modular Pedalboards powered by a JuiceBox that were made by Pedalboard.com. Pedalboard.com closed shop a couple of years ago. Pedalgear.net is bringing back the products exclusively. The new 20" Modular Pedalboard starts shipping next week and the 35" board will be reissued at the end of this year. There are also plans to build a 10" and 15" expansion module so your board can grow to fit your needs.

Specs on the Modular Pedalboard can be found here:
    http://www.pedalgear.net/page2/page11/page11.html

TBone

17. TBone

TBone Member

I saw them when they came thru Atlanta last tour. The guitar techs said they were the SGI™ Studio Guitar Interface system by Radial Engineering. Used to drive the signal up to 300 ft. without loss.

TBone

18. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

The yellow boxes are from Radial ..

The Radial SGI studio guitar interface allows a guitar signal to travel 100 meters (328 feet) over a standard balanced XLR mic cable. This is to keep signal loss to a minimum while using long cable runs.

http://www.radialeng.com/re-sgi.htm

19. joeperry

joeperry Member

Thanks Guys!
    GREAT info.
    Also any info on his guitars and amp used (past/current) Tour?
    Best regards