Joe Satriani with Greg Kihn...and other anomalies

wombat66

I was going to post this in todays Yngwie thread. But might be more appropriate here-

The engineer listed on the credits of the Rising Force album is Lester Claypool.

Ive never heard either one mention anything about that.

As unlikely as it may seem, there are two Lester Claypools in the music biz. The Lester Claypool who engineers metal recordings is not the same guy who plays bass in Primus.

tim gueguen

Damn you!!!

Ummmm.... Yeah..... So that happened.

The funny thing is that neither Smith nor Vincent played on that song. Dan Hartman played all the instruments besides the congas and the sax, the latter played by his old boss Edgar Winter. Smith and Vincent played on the rest of the Instant Replay album, and Vincent played rhythm and acoustic guitars, no solos.

As unlikely as it may seem, there are two Lester Claypools in the music biz. The Lester Claypool who engineers metal recordings is not the same guy who plays bass in Primus.

There may be 3 of them. There's Les Claypool III, who has worked on multiple Western releases of anime. He doesn't seem to be the same Les Claypool who was a recording engineer in the '80s and early '90s

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
When I discovered this was a thing, it blew my mind. :eek:

It left me wondering about other weird band tenures I may have missed. Kinda like Willie Mays on the Mets, Joe Namath with the Rams or Emmitt Smith playing for the Cardinals.

What other oddball band tenures have I missed???

R.38d42b24de07b54d4a0672e6f81bab4a
Joe also toured in Mick Jagger's band.

tribalfusion

When I discovered this was a thing, it blew my mind. :eek:

It left me wondering about other weird band tenures I may have missed. Kinda like Willie Mays on the Mets, Joe Namath with the Rams or Emmitt Smith playing for the Cardinals.

What other oddball band tenures have I missed???

R.38d42b24de07b54d4a0672e6f81bab4a

Michael Landau with Italian pop superstar Eros:

Ben Monder with David Bowie:

Allan Holdsworth with Level 42:

Tony MacAlpine with French star Michel Polnareff:

Andy Timmons with Olivia Newton John:

tribalfusion

Steve Vai played with Joe Jackson on a couple of different projects:

There are a lot of unusual guest solos and participation but I took the OP to be looking for a tour or at least an entire album type situation.

If the OP wants some oddball guest spots, I can post plenty of those.

iSeamas

Kinda like Willie Mays on the Mets,
There was nothing strange or oddball about that.
Going to the Mets was something of a homecoming. NY was where Mays became beloved to baseball fans in NYC.
People forget that the Dodgers and Giants leaving the city was like a knife in the heart.
"Met's fans" back then were mostly made up of Dodger and Giant fans that used to be bitter rivals only united in their hatred for that team in the Bronx.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Those jazz guys...Jaco, Metheny, etc. didn't "spend time" in Joni Mitchell's band. They had played on previous albums and were asked to be her road band. Recruited by the artist.

critter74

Silver Supporting Member
The Public Image Limited Album album had Steve Vai, Bill Laswell, Ginger Baker, Bernie Worell and whole crap ton of other top tier studio musicIan’s. Given the genres they all come from, they created this fantastic, beautiful Post-Punk album.

It’s funny because the first note of the guitar you can tell it’s Vai. You wouldn’t expect that on. PIL album previously.

Top Bottom