Joe Satriani's guitar tone on the first Chickenfoot CD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by handyman11, Apr 21, 2015.

1. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Never listened to Satriani much, but always loved Sammy Hagar ... just played the first Chicken foot CD on youtube, and loved Satriani's tone ...

I have a JCM800 , and a modded Les paul with a Super Distortion in the bridge, and can't get that kind of sound ....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ....

2. Zakko

Zakko Member

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

His pedal, and the basswood body/Fred pickup makes a huge difference.

but really, it's joe.

Esp. with that first album (which is awesome) he was still using the peavey's I believe. So it's pedals into the JSX.

4. rgsss14

rgsss14 Gold Supporting Member

I'll second the Dimarzio JS PAF style pups. They are fantastic, rival a lot of the boutique stuff. Neck pickup has that "bite".

5. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

Don't think you'll get that scale length to sound like Joe. His guitars are kind of like a Strat on steroids sound. The 25.5" scale and as Mike mentioned the basswood body guitar with Dimarzio's give him that signature sound. You can play the same notes, but I don't think an LP will have the same tone or harmonics that his guitars get.

6. shood

shood Member

That first album is truly righteous. One of my favoriate albums of the past decade, great song after great song.

Cool tones, too. My understanding is also that was largely the Vox Satchurator into the clean side of the Peavy JSX.

7. metallica86

metallica86 Member

I think all is about his guitar, I have Ibanez JS1600 and never got so close for his tone like before, just plug to Marshall tube amp and you set

IMO the Vos Satchurator sound not so good

8. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Keely modded DS1

9. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Hey, great post. And thanks for helping destroy the music industry and not paying for music!

:hide

Jk :)

10. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Guitar tech seems a nice enough guy, but gives at least the impression of not quite knowing how Joe's rig operates..........

11. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

JK ...funny, I bought the CD right after listening to it yesterday ......and didn't download it on youtube, just listened to it ...

So much for 'destroying the music industry' ...

12. crackbass

crackbass Supporting Member

Tell you the truth, I always thought it was Sammy that messed up Van Halen. Then I listen to Chickenfoot and I start to question my suspicions. Whatever it was, Sammy definitely still has his vocal chops, and I like Joe so much better in a "normal" band context vs an instrumental-type band. He's already done all that and doesn't have anything to prove so he can just jam and have fun with it. That's sort of the vibe I get off this band, something that has been missing from music for a while IMO.

13. pvampmgr

pvampmgr Member

Joe's tone in the studio is mostly his holy grail amp, which is an old 50 watt Marshall that was built incorrectly in some way. I think the transformer is undermatched and some of the parts weren't correct for the year, almost like it was first off the line and they used up old parts or something. We used that amp at Peavey to make the dirty channel on the new Butcher, which was originally supposed to be the "Joe50" amp before he went over to Marshall.

scolfax likes this.
  14. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

I really was just being snarky. Sorry to come off holier-than-thou. My bad.

Agreed. But you can only "blame the singer" so many times before it's obvious the brothers are PART of the problem at least.

That said, I always thought Sammy was a good rock guy and viable in the right situation. Chickenfoot is definitely the right situation for him and his skills.

And can't forget Michael Anthony, who I always thought was the unsung hero. Fine...turn down his rig so that you can hear Eddie and Alex more. But turn down his vocal harmonies and it doesn't sound nearly as much like VH anymore. And it's his vibe that contributes to CF tons. Joe fits right in - skills to the limit. Amazed how much I like their band.

15. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

Cool info, straight from the manufacturer!

Thanks.

16. crackbass

Yea I'm so glad Michael Anthony is a part of a band that appreciates him. Wolfgang doesn't really compare IMO. I did blame the singer for years. Now I suspect the bro's fired Dave, hired Sammy as strictly a singer, and took complete creative control of the band. Along the way they got rid of Mike and here we are.

17. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Wow, who'd a thunk it...a Satriani/Chickenfoot thread turning into a VH soap opera thread on the first page? LOL.

Anyway, I have a bit of a different opinion. I like Joe's tone in his music; when it's the focus. But I found it dry in a traditional band/Chickenfoot setting. I find that it just sits there, and doesn't seem to blend well. Heaven forbid, but I think I would have liked CF better if they used keys a bit. If that makes any sense...I may not be explaining myself very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. crackbass

Sorry about that. Back to Sach's guitar tone.

19. mikebat

mikebat Member

I never got past that Sammy love in your post....

;)

(all in good fun)

20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I stopped paying much attention to VH, Sammy and Satch about 15 years ago. This thread got me listening to Chickenfoot on Spotify. I'm really enjoying Satch's tone maybe more so than some of his earlier stuff. He's definitely evolved and not just capitalizing on the same old shtick. For my worthless two cents, I think they sound great.