1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Joe Walsh / James Gang amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cropduster, May 22, 2011.

1. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

2. Steve73

Steve73 Member

3. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I saw the James Gang live at some small club in Columbus, OH, (I think) back in 1967. I was visiting my gf who had moved to OH from NY.

We went to the Ohio State fair to see the Bee Gees. (Her desire, not mine.) While we were making our way toward the racetrack (I think) where the concert was set to occur, there were these long hairs handing out flyers for a local band playing at some local club.

So we went. There were probably less than 20 ppl in the joint, and I realized the guitarist was the guy who handed me a flyer at the fair.

And he was playing through four Super Reverbs, stacked 2x2. They did Crossroads and it ripped!

4. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

I read somewhere that he used a Super w/another as an extension cab, at least for recording.

5. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Dude, that is so freakin' awesome! What a life Joe has lived since then. I wish he would record more.

6. Franktone

Franktone Member

I saw James Gang at the 70/71 new years eve pop festival and Joe Walsh was playing the Les Paul through a Marshall amp just like in that video. They sounded awesome and I was amazed how well they performed all of the songs from the Rides Again album.

7. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I always thought he was using a Chandler SDE for the flangy echo delay stuff on that. I can easily cop that tone with that unit into a Marshally amp.

8. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I have a sad James Gang story. If I recall correctly, they were the top bill with Black Oak Arkansas, and someone else before. This was 71 or 72 in Long Beach. Anyways Jim Dandy did his normal thing and got everyone fired up. James Gang came on and Joe's synth blew. I think it was rented but not sure? Anyways, he did a bunch of the show sitting on the edge of the stage playing thru a mic'd acoustic, and got booed by the folks who wanted to rock out. He was doing some mighty tasty stuff, but to no avail.
    At least this is what I recall thru the fog of time, and the fog of smoke at the concert.

9. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I recall an interview, he said his fave setup was a couple of Fender Super's on metal folding chairs. I've been looking for that year of metal folding chair ever since....I hear Fender may have a reissue chair next year....;)

10. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

Investigative question.....Did the chair have its rubber feet intact, maybe one torn or missing? This is a very important question as it affects the "tone" of the setup.

11. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Sad to say Charly, they don't make the rubber feet with the same materials anymore so the reissue chair will not be the same, however you can get the reissue rubber feet "reliced" by the Custom shop for a nominal fee!!!! Way better than those made-in-Mexico rubber feet, and I won't even mention the indo-china ones....

12. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

13. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I do believe it was a Fender Tweed Champ. He used that amp also on Rocky Mountain Way, Walk Away, Funk #49, etc. He used a Fender Blackface Twin Reverb on tracks like Life's Been Good, etc. Of course in the Eagles he used Fenders as well. He never used Marshalls in the Eagles in the studio, it was mainly Fender Blackface and Tweed combos. He used a Fender Tweed Deluxe on Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane, etc.

Live Joe would use Super Reverbs AND Twin Reverbs together a lot (Blackface era). He would also sometimes use Marshalls but mainly his Marshall use was pre-Eagles. His Eagles tone is all Fender Tweed/Blackface.

Just some Joe info! I used to play his parts in an Eagles tribute so I had to have all of this info for that. I bought a Fender '65 Blackface Twin Reverb (RI) because of Joe. That is my gigging amp and was in the tribute band (we are on hiatus right now and in other projects). I love Joe in the James Gang and solo but I really love him in the Eagles. The Eagles are my favorite band of all time, hence the reason I formed a tribute band. I loved that gig.

14. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

Hey thanks for the replys! Would have never thought some of those Fenders could do those sounds! I was convinced it was HiWatts.

15. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Kenny Pazzarelli is a friend of mine, I'll have to ask him as he was Joe's bassist for a while. BTW a Eagles tribute band is scheduled to play here a day after our gig in Sheridan WY. July 16th, Rodeo weekend...we call it Redneck New Years.....I believe they are called Long Run. Is/was that you?

16. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, everyone thinks it is Marshalls on all that early '70's stuff but a lot of it is tweed Fenders. They get real nasty when they are cranked up.

A lot of the early ZZ top stuff is tweed Fenders as well.

17. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

I got a tweed deluxe and it's as close to The Bomber tone that i've been able to achieve so far (cranked). Course i'm using nocaster pickups and i think he was using humbuckers.

18. Alvis

Alvis Member

Yeah, I always heard, "Rides Again" was most of a tweed champ ,which is why I tweeded my SF Champs ........Oh well, I can say it put 'em in that territory for sure.

Interesting ,last Gang tour I thought I saw Joe using single channel JCM 800s . He's one of those guys that'll make anything sound good......

19. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I always heard it was a Super Reverb.

20. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

Nope! We were called "The Stone Eagles". But we haven't played in several months but hope to reunite next year! :)