Joe Walsh Tesse wah coming..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by waynesmith, May 26, 2008.

1. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

After hearing some clips on this forum the other day of the Joe Walsh Teese wah I decided to order one and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it, or should I say my foot, asap. I've read some good things about here, but I wouldn't mind some more opinions....

2. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

After seeing the eagles live the other night, it has ME wanting a Joe Walsh wah... Before, I was wondering WHY I would want a Joe Walsh signature wah.. BUT...The thing is simply the ultimate sounding wah!

Now if I could find out what boost/overdrive he was using and amps also. His tone was a ten!

3. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

It works...although it doesn't have the best components inside.

If it sounds good...it is good.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I dig mine it's a classic sounding wah!

5. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

What are the "Best " Components??????????

6. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

Have you guys tried it with fuzz? I use a Throbak Stone Bender into a OCD. The sound clips I've heard of this wah sound very good.

7. The Pup

Yes...the buffer works great.

8. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

Thanks for the info...

9. The Pup

Fair enough...

Those that don't fail on the first 30 minutes of use...or, like the parts used in my Picture Wah.

The module jack failed on me...not the best component for me. The pot and gear assembly seemed cheap to me as well; I was more impressed with the guts in my Picture Wah as a reference.

Have a look inside.

An excerpt from a previous post:

Received my Teese Joe Walsh Signature Wah and I was disappointed. The wah failed within a few minutes of use.

The potentiometer was not adequately secured to its mounting post. When I opened the back...I found it was installed with the lock washer on the wrong side. This is a bummer because I really wanted to hear how Teese "set" the wah to meet Joe's requirements. However, I correctly reinstalled the pot and then spent two hours going back-and-forth, cog tooth by cog tooth, evaluating the best sweep-to-tone setting based on my ears.

I also found the output trim to be too hot for my taste and I spent another half-hour exploring and settling in on another sweet spot.

Further, after the first hour, the output jack failed. The JWSW uses PCB mounted module jacks. I found one of the contact tabs was not making contact with the center plug tip. I was going to replace the jacks, but noticed Teese is using a jack module's "grounding-out" feature which could not be reintroduced with the Switchcraft replacement I had on hand. I also discovered that the output jack failure was only an issue when using a Planet Waves switching plug first (they have an accentuated bayonet friction-hold feature). These Planet Waves plugs destroyed a similar PCB mounted module jack on a recently returned Visual Volume pedal.

There is also a treadle friction adjustment in the back of the wah which really doesn't do too much at all...it's very basic. I set mine for a smooth and easy movement...but not too loose because the treadle would begin to shift side-to-side.

Like all Teese wahs, it is mechanically noisy...which is part of the deal with the true-bypass switch adjusted correctly and using the full sweep range of the pedal. With moderate volume...it's not an issue. In less than moderate SPLs...you will need to be isolated from the recording source.

SOUND:

I evaluated the JWSW against my Picture wah, Area 51 (full kit with all upgraded parts/ buffer off), and an older CryBaby with six different amps.

JWSW: 1st Place. Sounds near perfect, but the buffer can exhibit a spiky overload sound if you don't adjust your attack (wah use 101 basics). It has a nice top-end that works well and is never harsh unless you dig into the strings hard at the treble end of the sweep. The buffer circuit is not defeatable. The JWSW nails the classic Joe Walsh tones...at least in my head; a very satisfying sounding wah.

Picture wah: 2nd Place. Smoother but not as sweet as the JWSW. If you own a Picture wah...you could easily pass on the JWSW and never loose any sleep. The Picture wah sounds very old-school and is the mellow elder sounding wah in this group. If I was choosing between it and the JWSW, I would take the JWSW (certainly not because of construction materials, but the voicing is more of my ideal wah benchmark tone).

Area 51: 3rd Place. A great sounding wah with a fuller vocal quality that seems to wrap around the note. There is a very slight amount of [white] noise induced during the end of the treble throw which is not present when you engage the buffer. Engaging buffer throws the sweep off so much that is is not usable for me in high-gain applications. Quality parts, but I like the old-school voicing of the Teese wahs better.

CryBaby: 4th Place. It is what it is. Works great for somethings, sounds a bit dull for others.

Note: I have yet to find a wah that is a perfect match for my JVM410H (except for a Boss FT-2 with expression pedal...but that doesn't quite count). The JWSW with its buffered circuit is a better fit than the others I have tried to date.

Bottom Line: Although mildly appalled at first, I am keeping the JWSW. As such, I doubt the other wahs will be seeing much use.

10. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

So you are saying in a public forum that RMC is using cheap parts and your older picture wah has better components? How did you repair the Jack??

11. The Pup

I believe my Picture Wah is better made...with better parts. Also, the pot on the Area 51 is a better quality part. It may be possible that Teese has found a cheaper way to make this wah...that is my first impression having both of the Teese units (old and new) exposed side-by-side.

I replaced the jack with a switch-tab Switchcraft jack the next day so I could get up and running without drop outs. The other jack is starting to give me fits too...so I will replace it. The PCB uses these mounted module jacks which are wedged in tightly in the pedal housing secured by plastic nuts...I prefer the Switchcraft metal jacks vs. the cheaper plastic module surface mounted types.

12. johndara

johndara Member

I purchased the new Tesse Joe Walsh Wah based on the sound clips I've heard on TGP and it's absolutely the best wah I've owned since my original Vox V-846 finally crapped out on me. Great vocal quality, nice throaty mid-range and the highs are there but not ear piercing. As far as being noisy, etc...I've owned 2 other Teese wahs and never had an issue with them being noisy or falling apart on me. I guess one or two can fall through the cracks just like any other pedal.

13. The Pup

Very true.

14. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Teese does not buy parts from Ebay.he does not buy parts from Barney's Parts supply.Every part is Custom Made for RMC.Every Component..According to Teese the new wahs cost more to make that the older ones.First of all The Jacks RMC use cost more than the Switchcraft.Teese quit using the switchcraft jacks because they were failing and are made cheap..These cheap jacks that you refer to are the same style jacks that colorsound has used since the 60's.
    The New Pot Teese uses cost more than the CTS pot you like in the A51 and Pic wah.CTS was Custom making pots for RMC but the quality control had gone to crap so he stopped using them.The new pots will last the lifetime of the wah. They have a single lock washer and a nut. vs the older pots with the lock washer,nut and 2 big washers used to take up space. They are custom made to order for RMC so they fit the case. No need for a second set of washers.Life cycle of the pot is 2 million cycles. the area 51/smallbear pot will probably fail within a year.The new RMC pot is going to just keep on working.The 100k pot that a51 uses pops.The 200k pot a51 was using wears out and had a scratching sound towards the top of the travel. The gear is the same gear RMC has been using for 5 years or better.Just using a different material but same mold for the gear because the old material was not RoHS compliant.
    I understand you knew from experience that your cable might mess up that style of jack before you ever plugged it in..KInda like running your car in to a tree twice.Ya should have known better.;)
    If you want to hear it from the man himself,You can find all the info I posted on line Teese has done several interviews lately.

15. The Pup

Cheap does not directly infer cost...I find the plastic module jacks cheaper in quality (read inferior) to the Switchcraft metal jacks which I do not have problems with. I do have problems with the cheaper material (plastic) module jack.

I only used the PW plug because it was what was available at the time I was going through the first paces with the JWSW...it wasn't my cable. Also, I don't think I used the PW plug in the input side of the JWSW...so the intermittent failure could not be attributed to the PW cable.

The Area 51 CTS Icar taper wah pot may indeed be inferior to the Teese...thank you for your explanation. I too, discovered the slight white noise at the end of travel on the Area 51 pot. However, the Teese JWSW pot installation did indeed mechanically fail...either it was not installed correctly (lock washer was clearly on the wrong side of the post) or the new method/design of securing the pot to the post may have been insufficient to survive shipping.

Regardless...I do recommend the Teese JWSW because it sounds good. If it sounds good...it is good.

16. The Pup

Doesn't look like an isolated problem (regarding the security of the pot):

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=4194364#post4194364

From a hardware stand point (ref TO 1-1A-8), the correct application should be: Nut...Lock Washer...Flat Washer...Mounting Surface.

17. The Pup

Good pic...from a hardware security perspective, the lack of a flat washer effectively reduces the matting surface by <90 degrees. The lock washer would be more effective if it had more surface area to bite into (e.g. use of a flat washer, but there may not be enough threads showing).

18. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Got mine in December.Did the nut/washer/switch you did and have had no failure since.It gets used every week. Wahs from RMC alswys come setup with the pot one click back from max rotation.Some take it back another I don't.
    Hell even NASA learns from T&E Hopefully no one will die as a result of this pot issue:D Take care, Keith

19. The Pup

I replaced the jacks (again) with these (to better secure the PCB on both sides):

[​IMG]

...all is well (and back to stock)...as long as I don't borrow any PW cables again.

Just say no to Planet Waves plugs.