Joe Walsh - Turn to Stone

mycroftxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Forgot about the flute solo in the live version....yawn. Almost reminds of my horror the first time I heard Peter Gabriel turn to "world music", totally destroying the near perfection of "In Your Eyes", forever for me....but I digress.

This version of Turn to Stone gets back on course after the Jethro Tull/Ron Burgundy flautist does his thing. Pretty sure this was during Joe's decades of self-destructive chemical romance era.
I’m pretty sure it’s drummer and multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire Joe Vitale on the flute. I love that version; it’s a fantastic classic mid-70s live stretch-out take on a great song. The show was from 1975, and most of it was videotaped for Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert and is available on YouTube (as well as the live album). Meadows is another great song from the same show.

My favorite TTS is the “Best of Joe Walsh” version, remixed by Bill Szymczyk. He also remixed the “So What” versions of Help Me Through the Night and County Fair for the best-of disc (Szymczyk did not produce or engineer “So What”). Personally, I like Szymczyk’s remixes better than the originals except for County Fair.

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member
"...Sick Mind" is my favorite version of almost anything Joe Walsh. LOVE that album!

diego

Forgot about the flute solo in the live version....yawn. Almost reminds of my horror the first time I heard Peter Gabriel turn to "world music", totally destroying the near perfection of "In Your Eyes", forever for me....but I digress.

This version of Turn to Stone gets back on course after the Jethro Tull/Ron Burgundy flautist does his thing. Pretty sure this was during Joe's decades of self-destructive chemical romance era.

I’m pretty sure it’s drummer and multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire Joe Vitale on the flute. I love that version; it’s a fantastic classic mid-70s live stretch-out take on a great song. The show was from 1975, and most of it was videotaped for Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert and is available on YouTube (as well as the live album). Meadows is another great song from the same show.

My favorite TTS is the “Best of Joe Walsh” version, remixed by Bill Szymczyk. He also remixed the “So What” versions of Help Me Through the Night and County Fair for the best-of disc (Szymczyk did not produce or engineer “So What”). Personally, I like Szymczyk’s remixes better than the originals except for County Fair.

Ha ha ha. It's THIS Ron Burgandy!

fitz

Amazing version & I remember it well. First, Joe Vitale shines. You see him first playing piano in the intro, gets behind the kit & then pulls out the flute for the solo. Joe Walsh's long time partner Don Felder is also playing which is cool & shows the friendship they have through all of these years. The version is excellent & Walsh is in great form. I sure miss Don Kirshner's because of moments like these.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom