Johan reworked Keebler at Mark's

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by RickC, Sep 4, 2006.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Nice guitar...so glad I have one of these. :D

3. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

I've read of other Keeblers being recarved or refinished. This one apparently also had correct inlays by JG.

If that is the case, why are they so highly regarded? Just trying to make sense of what seem to be some significant contradictions.

4. Just1more

Just1more Member

That one kind of looks like mine, one of the few that was aged by the builder.
    [​IMG]

5. punkrockchris

punkrockchris Member

saw this, really wish I could afford the price of entry.

6. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Yes, that's kind of funny when you think about it. "It's an amazing copy once you recarve the top, reprofile the neck, redo the inlays, and refinish it". :)

Of course the LP market really doesn't make sense. For the longest time people were more than happy to buy their new R9 Historic for $3500+ and immediately replace the pickups, pot's, capacitors, tailpiece, and have the frets dressed.

7. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

It has nothing to do with the actual quality in terms of sound and playability. :RoCkIn
    Because the original builder denies authorship, :BITCH therefore creating a buzz with his denials. :AOK The guitar spirals up in value. An owner of one sells to someone else who wants to have the "buzz" guitar. :dude This continues till someone wants to up the ante by having the luthier du jour, (Johan in this case) put his mark on said "buzz" guitar. This then throws a shadow of doubt on the original guitar and others of the same kind's value.
    Have I said said anything of interest here? It just is all about the buzz:NUTS

Having said that......I love both these luthiers in question original design instruments. Even if they deny these bastard children:D

8. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

The "original builder" is still churning out a fine product, and I think that the Keebler mystique has actually helped bump up the entry price for his new line.

He does do incredible work, but it's now pretty much out of my range of consideration.

9. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Agreed that his original line are outstanding guitars!:dude Haven't had the pleasure of trying out his new stuff yet...

10. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Really???? I had a Keebler and although it was a good guitar, but it never would made me buy his current or former products. As I said before, his former product and company was top drawer IMHO. As I'm sure his new guitars are.
    There are some real deals to be had on some of his former products right now. Who knows why, but that's the market right now.

11. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

What Chuck said!!!

I always suspected Rafalko from the LP Forum but I don't have a clue who it really is. Is it completely taboo to ask? How about a hint? (best educated guess) Baker? Huber? Lentz? Artinger? McInturff? Who, who, WHO!!!

Scott

12. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

It's not Ed.

I always heard that it was Baker.

13. Woodshed

Woodshed Member

Yeah, probably right although I believe Ed was the one who had the top carve all mapped out on a computer program or something. Whoever it was, they should be proud of what they did and what people think of them. Max isn't exactly hiding or denying his work, actually he's tooling up for a full production run per CDaughtry. It's so far after the fact that I seriously doubt Henry could do crap to them now.

P.S. Just got a message on my machine at home, now that's a fast response!!! Thanks!!!

Scott

14. emjee

emjee Member

If your talking about GB, then I have to agree, though I havent tried his new line...

Matt

15. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Looks truly beautiful, except for the number someone did on the headstock with a Sharpie.

16. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

Who made the Keeblers? Personally, I think it was John Mayer and Yngwie at the GVCG compound.

17. Axdoctor

Axdoctor Member

I know........... but if I told ya I'd have ta kill ya!:dude

18. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Huh? Try Photoshop...

19. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The "original builder" didn't deny mine at all...in fact, he signed it in the control cavity while it was being pore filled...
    [​IMG]
    My provenance is secure...forever...LOL (That really is his sig, too.)
    [​IMG]

20. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

That's gorgeous!!!!