Johannes Kohr K58G Upright Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by dirtydumpling, Nov 27, 2017.

1. dirtydumpling

dirtydumpling Member

I have seen a few threads on here about Johannes Kohr and they seem to be decent instruments. I cannot seem to find any info on this particular model. I have been an electric player for years and I really want an upright I can play small venues in.

Here is a link for the actual bass I am looking at, https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/msg/d/upright-string-bass/6390337566.html

Any words of wisdom would be helpful, thanks in advance!

2. olejason

olejason Member

I would pass. Something like a Shen would be a much better instrument and wouldn't be much more expensive. More important would be getting a few lessons, definitely wouldn't recommend trying to learn DB without a teacher.

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Supporting Member

40+ year double-bassist here.

Here's the thing: Maybe this DB was set up to a T -- completely crisp -- needs nothing.
    But maybe it needs:
    . Strings: $200
    . Bridge: $75
    . Bridge install: $150
    . Soundpost: $50
    . Soundpost install: $100
    . Fingerboard planing: $400
    . Pickup: $200
    How good of a deal is it now?

All this underscores that as an absolute beginner you're not able to pull the sound that an experienced player does, so bringing an experienced player to try out a new purchase is key. I'm not trying to be rude and I'm not trying to be judgmental. I'm just saying, 'Acknowledge that help would be a help here.'

Good luck with your search. DB is totally worth it!!!