1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

John Fogerty's tone on Suzy Q

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joshlespaul1952, May 23, 2011.

1. Joshlespaul1952

Joshlespaul1952 Supporting Member

What sort of amp is he using? It sounds like a Fender, but different, somehow... grittier, not as sparkly. That probably doesn't make much sense, but, whatever - I really like the sound. Any idea if he used a pedal (then again, I'm not quite sure if there was really that much available back then) for the solo, or if it's just the amp cranked?

Even if you don't know, at least enjoy (what I consider to be) a great song:

2. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

Didn't he use a Kustom?

3. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

4. Joshlespaul1952

5. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I don't know if he still does, but he used to pull that amp in his shows and introduce it as the Creedence amp, then play Suzie Q, and maybe Born on the Bayou. This was back in about 1996. It may even be on one of his DVD's.

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I can't think of a better sound for those songs. My first amp was a Kustom 200 with a Ross dirt pedal but I wasn't trying to get those tones.

7. Joshlespaul1952

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

He used the Kustom 200 heads and cabs... Great amps

9. amc

amc Member

everyone else jumped in before i could say kustom...............

10. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

Yep, the mighty Kustom 200 head, with built-in Harmonic Clipper(fuzztone).

11. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

I saw Creedence at the Denver Pop Festival in 1969, and I'm almost certain they were using those "Rolled and pleated" Kustoms. I assume they ALWAYS used them.

They were a fairly big hit in the day. More wattage than any other mainstream amp. Kind of brashy, trebly sounding. Some of them had not only speakers, but horns. I think I owned one. As I remember, if you turned them up, the sound went to crap. I would assume that they used underpowered speakers. Though, I think some might have used JBLs, so maybe it was an amp issue, not speakers.

I'm thinking they were solid state, but not sure.

P.S. Right around that time another amp came out called 'Acoustic'. They WERE solid state and were very loud for their time. I remember trading in my Dual Showman and a bunch of other stuff for an Acoustic with 6x10" because the Chicago Transit Authority player used one. (me a poser) It cost $600 new in 1971 or so, and with all that trade, including the Showman with 2-15" JBLs!!!!, I STILL had to pay one or two hundred dollars. Sheesh, I must have really wanted that Acoustic amp. It was nice though. We played a Prom in a very large gym, and I had to turn the cab around because it was so loud. Why didn't I just turn it down, I wonder? I don't think I knew about good tone back then. :)

12. Aquinas

Aquinas Member

Just consider how much of that tone is the Rick, though - the Kustoms do sound "trashy" in my experience, but sometimes "trashy" is what you need!

13. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Member

I read that Kustom amp he used had a vibrato/tremolo circuit that could be blended and they did blend it to get that "swamp tone" as he calls it. The built in fuzz completes the sound. Otherwise a crisp clean solid state amp that many (besides Fogerty) say sound like poo poo.

14. teemuk

teemuk Member

Corksniffery.

There's nothing wrong with their tone. They have great clean tone with great reverb and vibrato and the "mild" dirt tones are ok too, as proven by CCR. Basically, the CCR tone is rather bad example of those amps.

(Que past the blablablabla at start of the clips).

Granted, a tuck-n-roll Kustom doesn't do what a, say, overdriven Marshall does but today you would not buy a vintage Kustom amp for that reason anyway. Back in the days folks may have done so, which could explain some of the bad rep those amps have. But even then it was nothing but a user error, failing to choose right tools for the job. Guys looking for a clean tone steadily used those things, not to mention they were huge on PA department too.

15. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

^ Kustoms can have a real cool sound - the awesome solo on Los Lobos' "Mas Y Mas" is played on a Les Paul Custom through a Kustom tuck-and-roll amp.

16. John C

John C Supporting Member

John was featured in Guitar Player back in 2008; in that article he mentioned that the Kustom had gotten damaged in the early 2000s so he wasn't taking it out any more. I think he had the current Kustom amp company make one of their amps with added tremolo to use in concert.

17. drolling

drolling Member

I had one of those! Huge silver box covered with sliders like a big graphic equalizer - Painfully loud and more ice-picky than my old Twin.. Sheesh is right! What were we thinkin?

To the OP: Great question! I remember buying the 45 of that record & just loving it.. We'd set up 2 record players so we could fade in a second copy (the B side) seamlessly. I agree his tone's pretty gnarly and was kinda surprised when I bought the LP and found it filled with *country* music. Thought they were a new Psychedelic band & really wasn't prepared for all that tremolo. Everyone I knew back then was gutting their old black/brownfaced Fenders & replacing the trem circuit with an extra gain stage:facepalm

18. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Member

I think Fogerty was referring to the model he used when he said that.

19. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member