John Frusciante rejoins Red Hot Chili Peppers

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by johnnyb128, Dec 15, 2019.

1. phretbored

phretbored Member

this is and always will be my favorite RHCP jam...

teleman1 and TheBuffalo like this.
  2. mschafft

mschafft Member

I don't understand this but it sounds like the right to say in the situation.

3. TheBuffalo

TheBuffalo Supporting Member

Im more a fan of this one

One of their last shows with John. Hopefully they can pick up where they left off

ripple, freedom's door and dsmc80 like this.
  4. realmacaroni

realmacaroni Supporting Member

my post history makes it plain that I am a huge Frusc devotee. he is in everyone of my "Mount Rushmore" or "top triumvirate" lists (as are Malkmus and Trey)

but I'm With You was an excellent follow up to Frusc 2.0 (which was arguably the best period of RHCP, depending on ones tastes)

it is straight bangers beginning to end! melodic, urgent, harmonious, funky, sweet...Josh played it perfect, imo

bsacamano likes this.
  5. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

One Hot Minute is one of their best records IMO. I reinforced this opinion by listening to BSS and OHM back to back while warping presents and drinking wine the other night.

falconerpdx likes this.
  6. Michael Andrew

Michael Andrew Member

Lol I was just kidding. It’s not the worst album ever made but just didn’t feel right to me and many others, including the band.

Every album they did with John was good. He was too important of a piece to play without.

7. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

With Josh in the background too. I understand why Josh isn't just going to step in the background these days, but damn I love what he and John do together.

8. DRS

DRS Member

Hillel bringing the funk!

9. Steve73

Steve73 Member

John is so great for that band, this is my fav vid with him by far:

Dasein likes this.
  10. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

Even though I like RHCP I've been laughing at this quote all week, it's so funny

AustinIsPresent and falconerpdx like this.
  11. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

Why?

12. AwakentheDawn

AwakentheDawn Member

Now Omar will resurrect The Mars Volta and they will tour with John and the RHCP with John once again sitting in with TMV so he can display his true guitar work like in the past.

ok ok, that is really a pipe dream

13. 83stratman

83stratman Supporting Member

For the same reason non VH fans say that VH needs to dump DLR.

14. mschafft

mschafft Member

15. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

That would be sweet.

Musicmaster likes this.
  16. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

as a long time RHCP fan, I share everyone else's excitement over the news of John's return.

I've been listening to them since the late 80's (at the time I discovered them, the Uplift Mofo Party Plan was the new album - Hillel Slovak was their guitarist)... John is an amazing guitarist & harmony accompaniment singer. ... however, I actually loved Josh equally as much as John... I truly felt that Josh could do everything John did (guitar & vocals) just as good. and, I think the songwriting was amazing on their last 2 albums... as a matter of fact, as I get older, and the RHCP keep putting out more records, the more I am drawn to their later material, and the less I listen to their older albums... hypothetically, if they had continued on with Josh indefinitely, I would have been fine with that.

but like I said, I think its great that John is coming back to the band... John is phenomenal, not just with the Chili Peppers, but also as a solo artist. his records from the late 90's and onward are nothing short of beautiful. I just think that with the way John's mind works, he can only be tied down to one project for about 8 or 9 years, and then he has to go do something else... if we're lucky, we will have John with the RHCP for another decade (a few more albums)... however, looking ahead, I think once the Chili Peppers complete this current cycle of music & touring with John, they should pack it in and put the band to rest.

17. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Why?

18. GibsonMarshallguy41

within the past few years, I've noticed that for some reason, their music has not aged well with some people. these days it seems like there are less people who are moderate casual fans, and more people that can't stand them or find them ridiculous... now, people either love them or loathe them, with no middle ground. but in my opinion (I don't know, maybe I'm wrong), I think the people that talk trash or make fun of them, are focused more on their more hyper, cartoonish, early material (mid 80's to early 90's), VS. their more recent albums which are less about wild, LA-themed white boy funk, and more about writing simple, melodic, hook-y pop songs that have more of a serious, introspective vibe.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    AustinIsPresent likes this.
  19. GibsonMarshallguy41

I don't know, I just think that as a band, they are getting closer to the point where they will have exhausted all of their creativity, and will have have said everything there is to say as the RHCP... with each of the 4 guys (even more so with John & Flea), I have a feeling that they will want to do more and more stuff outside of the band, until it gets to the point that they will want to end the band with some dignity before they become an elderly parody of themselves... and I say this as someone who is a huge fan of the Chili Peppers.... aside from John, I just can't see the other 3 guys continuing to do this past their 60's... (Chad, Anthony, & Flea are in their late 50's, and John is in his late 40's).

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    AustinIsPresent likes this.
  20. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member