John Frusciante rejoins Red Hot Chili Peppers

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by johnnyb128, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Member

Getting... closer, you say.

PdL and AustinIsPresent like this.
  2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I was coming over to post that. I’m relistening right now.

I’d play with him.

3. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

4. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

They're a legacy band. They have nothing new to say and it's hard for the faithful to comes to grip with this so we get dissapointed that the "new stuff" sucks, when the truth is they just got no gas left in the tank. The Peppers have had a great career, I just hope they can bring some joy to themselves and to the audience every few years or so when they hit the road, playing the great songs they wrote when they had the challenges, hunger, and hubris of young lions.

AustinIsPresent and tonedover like this.
  5. BriSol

BriSol Member

I think they lost the plot around Californication. Funkyness stopped being part of their sound around then, for more of a generic alt-rock/post-grunge sound. Keidis started to become particularly bad or lazy.

6. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

I have to agree, however the funk tendencies of the band roared back on Stadium Arcadium. Take off the pop singles and that album is a lean mean fighting machine.

7. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

They’re last album with John is arguably one of their biggest and best. Having John back changes everything

8. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

The RHCP are a tricky band that get immediately associated with funk, and rightfully so , but if you listen to all their albums they are way more. I hear so much of Johns solo stuff in the RHCP. Songs like dosed, I could die for you, tear, don’t forget me etc etc etc. To say they stepped away from the funkyness is fine, but Johns never been 100% funk

9. BriSol

BriSol Member

As far as Frucante himself, sure. He seems more like a Hendrix disciple who happens to be from a funky band. The funk elements in RHCP most dominantly come from Flea and Chad.

PdL and FiestaRed869 like this.
  10. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

No doubt there’s funk on all their albums like purple stain, hump de bump. But when people say they sell out for singles, I’d argue there’s more of that style then funk in their catalog. Also John post heroin addiction seems to be a different animal as well.

I remember hearing John tell the story of Chads try out for them. He said he came in with a Metallica t shirt and was just playing super fast and at first they just wanted to get rid of him..but they all bonded. I agree chad seems to be very funky right there with flea, but that story cracks me up.

11. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

I love this and why I can’t wait for the new album

Rob G and WornFrets like this.
  12. Tube Grooves

Tube Grooves Supporting Member

“Dusting off your savior
    You were always my favorite, always my man
    All in a hand
    To celebrate you is greater, now that I can
    Always my man”

13. 2020jan08

2020jan08 Member

Are John Petrucci and John Patitucci joining too?

14. Tube Grooves

Tube Grooves Supporting Member

“To re-adjust you’ve got to trust that all the fuss is just a minor thing, yo, he knows everything!”
    ~ Minor Thing RHCP

Kaji likes this.
  15. Kaji

Kaji Member

16. Mike J.

Mike J. Member

This seems to be footage of the first gig after Frusciante's rejoining with the RHCP. Although not being the biggest fan, I find it sounds pretty good and Kiedis seems to be a happy dude with John by his side again.

Tidbit likes this.
  17. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

No Chad??

18. Dasein

Dasein Member

This is why you gotta respect the hell out of these guys. 4 guys - drums, bass, guitar and vocals.... they could walk on stage and use anybody’s back line and lay it down..... with energy and aplomb. Awesome to see.

Mike J. likes this.
  19. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Would be really interesting to hear what Flea, John F & Chad could come up with as an (no vocals) trio. Anthony’s never been able to sing & his quasi-rap style of vocals has gotten more ridiculous & cheesy since BSSM. Not to mention it’s been, at least, a decade since he’s contributed any interesting or clever lyrics/rhymes to new Chili Peppers’ songs. Like his vocal delivery, Anthony’s lyrics have been getting weaker & weaker for years now.

Of course, w/o Kiedis in the band it just isn’t the RHCP. It wouldn’t even be a close approximation of the Chili Peppers if he wasn’t the vocalist. Anthony is a vital member of the band. But, imo, he’s been the weak link in the RHCP for quite some time.

Mike J. likes this.
  20. Original_Fire

Original_Fire Member

I’ve gotta imagine that John’s still at the beginning of knocking the rust off.

And he still sounded fantastic.

Stoooooooked!

bsacamano likes this.