John Frusciante

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I made this thread in honor of John Frusciante, my biggest inspiration for picking up a guitar and begining to play. In this thread I just want to talk about everything that is John Frusciante, what gear he uses and stuff like that, photos are very welcome (pedalboard, guitars, etc.) I had a thread like this on HCFX it was VERY successful and had many, many posts, I hope I can do it with this one.

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

To get things started heres two pictures of him, one picture is of him live at slane castle manipulating his FM4, you can clearly make out some pedals in the photo like the Big Muff, DMM, 2 FF's, 2 FM4's, electric mistress, Im not sure but either 3 DS2/1'S (???) but theres obviously 3 boss ODs or dist., theres that old 80's digitech delay on the riser, the fender reverb (maybe the 63' ri...but he likes the real deal more), and you can see a bit of DL4. His new boards totally different. The second picture is a picture of his guitars on a rack. Two strats, Two teles and one white falcon. He also uses old martin acoustics, a mustand or jazzmaster, as for amps he uses a marshall 200 watt major head (not made anymore) and a marshall silver jubilee 25/50, and a fender (not sure which one) for his clean sounds. Like I said his new boards totally different, its about 75% moog stuff and then the line 6 stuff (DL4 & FM4), big muff, ibanez wh-10 wah, etc... Well here are the pictures.

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

5. Medication

Medication Member

I heard he was using 1 woolly mammoth and 1 fuzz factory and I thought he completely changed his setup to all moogerfrooger and line 6.

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Here is a picture of his "new" board that I found, I really like this one but I dont see any fuzz factory(s)...
    [​IMG]

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

medication- Its not all L6 and moog, theres some EH as you can see, the ibanez wah, boss volume pedal, digitech delay (the blue one), vintage tremolo, mxr comp (i think), and the boss stuff, including a vintage ce-1 as you can see in the pic. Besides that theres only 2 L6 pedals, and mostly moog (notice how he hasdoubles.) I can make out 2 murfs, 2 lowpass filters, one 12 stage phaser, 2 control processors, one ringmod, and thats it.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

When I was listening to the Dani California solo I could of sworn I heard a fuzz factory. Also the thing you said about him using a mamoth and FF, its not true, I thought it was at first too, but then on ZVex's site it confirms that theyre two ff's. Wierd. I dont know why he would stop using it, the Big muff is a very cool pedal too though, i love mine.

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Does anyone else have any info on him that can be added? Im always trying to learn new things about his gear and technique. He uses a peterson strobe tuner (not strobostomp), and I heard that he doesnt use any power adaptors for any of his pedals, he uses all 9V's on everyone. I heard once it gets below a certain voltage or w.e he tosses it. Must have an endorsement deal with duracell or something.

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Does anyone know which amps he use to use and uses today other than the two marshalls?

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

bump, are there not any John Frusciante fans on here?...come on:dude :JAM :BEER :D

12. radcliff

radcliff Member

Bumping every 20 minutes is not cool.

He uses a Marshall Jubilee and a SuperBass I believe.
    He also uses a combination of three tuners, which I read in some interview with his tech. A Boss TU12 and a Strobe Peterson are in there.
    My guess with the FF being kicked off, is maybe its too wild for constant stage use? I'm not sure, I've only played around with one a couple of times.

Frusciante is a mega rock star, and a drug free one. If he wants to use new batteries every night with his newfound extra income, so be it. I think it's kind of silly.

And that board has gotten too big. I liked when he was Boss Wah > Boss Super Overdrive > Phase 90 > Chorus Ensemble.

13. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I'm one, I love his classic tone. Don't know that much about him, but he has one big pedal board.

14. Josh O

Josh O Member

I thought I read somewhere that he's snuck either a HOG or POG pedal from EH for some synthy type stuff.

15. Tprince

Tprince Member

www.guitargeek.com has a good rig setup on him. Very thorough, but somewhat dated I think.

16. Judson

Judson Senior Member

Im a BIG fan, when I was younger the Chili Peppers were my favorite band. The guy turned me onto Hendrix and he turned me onto everything else in the world. But as I get older and the years pass I find I like the Chili Peppers less and less.

But the man's solo albums!

Oh my. I have bought them all and Curtains has been on constaint play since I got it well over a year ago (the ataxia album is another fav.). Also im a big fan of his synth tone, its verry creative the way he overdubs diffrent wave forms to get diffrent sounds.

Gear wize all im concerned about is his smaller solo gigs or studio rig away from the Chili's simply because I will never own a pedal board that size or the Major and Jubalee heads he plugs into every day.

For acoustics witch I think are his strongest feild he uses one of 2 Martin 00-15s (one dated in the 40s and the other 50s) and also has an 0-17 and id imagine many other various models. He uses these because of the warm sound of the all mahogany bodies. Also since they are small bodied guitars it gives John's voice more room above it.

I think eveyone knows the electrics he uses. But he uses brownface fender amps with the Gretch, and 60s AC30s extensivley in the studio and at solo shows.

So, how I get similar sounds to my favorite guitarist...
    Fender Custom Shop '60 Strat, Vintage 1951 Martin 00-15, (just ordered a Martin 00-17 fromt he 40s because im a dylan/drake fan too), AC30CC, and various filter delay fuzz pedals.

But dont get me wrong, I dont want to sound exactly like him, I dont play like him (anymore), Everything I have I bought because it sounded best to me and I liked it. Now a similar setup to John's sounds nothing like his but sounds like Me.

my .02$

17. arexjay

arexjay Member

Does anyone know what he does for the solo in Give it Away? Some give of volume pedal? Rolling the volume knob?

18. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

It's backwards! Flip the tape around, play the solo and flip the tape again. A backwards solo! Voila! Jimi used that alot.

19. arexjay

arexjay Member

Wow, that's cool! So live, I should just roll the guitar volume down, and slide it up down after hitting each note, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.