John Frusciante's pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by junior40, Jan 15, 2008.

1. junior40

junior40 Member

I was wondering what pickups john f uses in his strats, i know they are vintage guitars but i hear he uses seymour duncan pickups in his strats...just wondering. any information would be great, thanks guys

2. Colourful

Colourful Member

I wanted to know the same thing. Nothing on the internet seems valid or

But from his tone and compared it to some clips off Acme and they sound pretty similar to "vintage" voiced pups, but a little hotter (probably because he runs it through his MicroAmp among many other pedals)

3. buckwild

buckwild Silver Supporting Member

seymour duncan antiquities texas hot and custom.

4. webs

webs Supporting Member

From what I've heard, all stock except one (the sunburst, I think), which had antiquities in it when he bought it. He doesn't seem like one to put new pickups in guitars.

5. tirone

tirone Member

Johns pickups are all original except for the 1955 strat which had Seymour Duncan antiquities which were in there before he bought the guitar.

6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

He gets some sweet tones.

7. junior40

junior40 Member

i know thats why i wanted to know what pickups he uses, i have a 62 RI strat and a original 76 strat but i have vintage noiseless pickups in those, and i really like them, i think the 62 just has vintage

8. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

I think John mostly plays vintage, even on stage. Obviously we wish we all wish we had the dough to do that, hehe. General vintagey pickups I guess. A look at his pedalboard (which IIRC is massive) will help.

9. skyblue

skyblue Member

Yeah, I did hear (read?) somewhere that he has a set of Duncan Antiquities Texas Hots + Texas Custom bridge in his sunburst strat.