John Frusciante's pickups

junior40

I was wondering what pickups john f uses in his strats, i know they are vintage guitars but i hear he uses seymour duncan pickups in his strats...just wondering. any information would be great, thanks guys

Colourful

I wanted to know the same thing. Nothing on the internet seems valid or

But from his tone and compared it to some clips off Acme and they sound pretty similar to "vintage" voiced pups, but a little hotter (probably because he runs it through his MicroAmp among many other pedals)

webs

Silver Supporting Member
From what I've heard, all stock except one (the sunburst, I think), which had antiquities in it when he bought it. He doesn't seem like one to put new pickups in guitars.

tirone

Johns pickups are all original except for the 1955 strat which had Seymour Duncan antiquities which were in there before he bought the guitar.

swimrunner

I think John mostly plays vintage, even on stage. Obviously we wish we all wish we had the dough to do that, hehe. General vintagey pickups I guess. A look at his pedalboard (which IIRC is massive) will help.

skyblue

Yeah, I did hear (read?) somewhere that he has a set of Duncan Antiquities Texas Hots + Texas Custom bridge in his sunburst strat.

Dannyz

Ill take the risk of bumping this.

So, all this time his maple neck 55' Strat had installed Duncan Antiquities Texas Hots + Texas Custom Bridge instead of SSL1s?

DRS

12 year bump indeed
There was a big Frusciante pickup thread here about a month ago.

COYS

The old story was that one of the vintage strats he loved, the tech opened it up one day and found they were SSL-1 pickups

i3oosted

The old story was that one of the vintage strats he loved, the tech opened it up one day and found they were SSL-1 pickups
Thought it was other way around, John wanted SSL-1 installed but tech never did it. John thought he was playing SSL1s but he wasn't.

Dr. Tinnitus

The old Strat he bought did have SSL-1s and he liked them.

Later on the tech switched them to AmStd and he liked those too, but got confused and still thought they were SSL-1s.

There isn't a pickup that he solely used. The SSL-1s will give you his most noted BSSM tone.

GT1-Reach

Silver Supporting Member
Well I like frusciante and as far as I know the pickups on his beloved 62 died and his tech replaced them with American standard pickups.

On the other hand ssl-1s bring you so near to his sound that it's kinds meaningless to ask the question in the first place. The ssl-1 really sounds great if you want to get frusciante tones.

webs

Silver Supporting Member
The two posts above cover it succinctly. Yes, there was a lot of confusion and incomplete/wrong information for a long time, but it seems clear now that a set of American Standard pickups ended up in the '62 strat. That said, the SSL-1 set is really undeniably "correct" too, sonically speaking.

As far as practical reproduction goes, the SSL-1 set sounds spot on, are reasonably priced and easy to come by. AmStd pickups of the right era are probably not worth the trouble of finding, not that I'd turn my nose up at a set but it just doesn't seem like it's necessary given how excellent and available the SSL-1s are. On the other hand, they're probably not terribly expensive if you can find a set, so no harm done either way. I think, through some combination of coincidence or circumstance, that more factors are at play. Either many of the recordings were done with SSL-1s pre-switch, or the AmStd pickups in that guitar through that rig ended up sounding exactly like your average strat with SSL-1s in it, or some other weirdness. In any case, among an awful lot of strat pickups including the correct era USA strat ones (which I imagine might vary a fair amount), the only pickups that smacked me with "oh, that's the sound" within the first five seconds were the SSL-1s. It really is uncanny.

Nearly any decent vintage voiced strat pickup will sound good, though. None of these sets are lightyears apart, and a Silver Jubilee and a heavy right hand are far more important ingredients, in my mind. The strat itself isn't unusual enough to worry about. Interestingly, of the three sets discussed the Antiquities would be dead last among what I'd pick, despite what I might have posted in here 12 years ago :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom