• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

John Hornby Skewes Shatterbox (JHS)

ArtDecade

So I've been looking into this pedal because I am big Bolan / T-Rex fan. There is not a lot of info floating around about it though. The originals are rare, but the British Pedal Company is making a reissue of the old bird. I'd like to know more about what it makes it tick. It's apparently all silicon - both the Zonk side and the treble booster side. All of the controls are for the fuzz, so I guess that means that the treble booster is working full out the whole time. Also, is the treble boost before or after the fuzz? That would make a big difference in how it will sound. Anyone know anything about the reissue or the originals?

Devin

Low Voltage
I am curious too. I have seen some demos of Shatter box builds that sound great and some that sound like this:

Guinness Lad

BSM made many treble boosters, their HS is a great pedal. I'm not selling one either, just pointing out an option.

ArtDecade

Thanks, ElectricWarrior.

Anyone ever own or use a British Pedal Company effect? Do they justify the price?

Devin

Low Voltage
I have a JMI mk1 and it is incredible. I believe BPC is a reformed version of JMI. The company has a long story I cant recall.

hairyhands

Modern jmi pedal makers got nothing in common with old jmi company. They just bought the rights to use that name. Later they have been charged for selling stolen vintage guitars.

Devin

Low Voltage
So BPC has nothing to do with either of them then? *wait they do!!!

Last edited:

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
^ Is there a relationship between JMI and British Pedal Company?
I think there was. Something like the guy at BPC worked for JMI, but that didn't end well. Then he opened Vintage Pedal Workshop, I believe. Both companies were making the same Zonk Machine pedal.

JMI (the new one) got a very bad image for some reason, I don't remember the details.

Now I guess VPW changed the name to BPC?

Don't Post

Steve Giles worked for JMI then started Vintage Pedal Workshop on his own. Steve had an accident and no longer builds pedals.

BPC is the same crooks from JMI, Hiwatt, Musicground, rebranded. buyer beware.

ArtDecade

So that opens up the door to another question....

Is there anyone making something similar? Or any builders that I can contact that would be interested in giving it a go?

Contact Laundromat on the DAM forum. His builds are ace and he owns a vintage Shatterbox, so he knows what they're supposed to sound like.

triviani

Silver Supporting Member
Creepy Fingers Hornskewer and Sugar Boost pair.

Yap, check the Damn forum

Trending Topics