John LANDGRAFF Custom 50 Head--VERY Rare & Incredible!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs Emporium Archive' started by Mark Williams, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

John LANDGRAFF CUSTOM 50 HEAD--originally handbuilt for Roger Lund 2/25/2004 by John Landgraff in Pensacola, Florida, USA. This one is #14 of probably fewer than 30 John has ever built, and it's amazing! I've talked with John a number of times about amps and circumstances....and it is unfortunately unlikely he'll be building many more of these amps any time soon if ever, by the way.

This amp is a great, great instrument that surpasss most anything like it I've ever heard--not to mention that it's beautiful in it's Red Oak cabinet built by Bob Burt. With all the variations available, I've found every configuration sounds great and is very usable, unlike other amps that promise tube substitutions and other features. See John's handwritten instructions in the photos below for some of the features if I forget some here.

It can take almost any octal tube, though I use it with EL34's. It will ship with a BONUS pair of Sylvania-branded NOS MULLARD EL34's, three Mullard pre-amp tubes, an EH phase-inverter, and a MULLARD GZ34 rectifier tube.....but, it will contain the tubes John apparently used originally: a Siemens EL34 and a MULLARD EL34 along with a JJ ECC83, two NOS Philips 12AX7's and an EH phase inverter tube--had planned to change them for the NOS Mullards but they just sounded too good to change. Any of the 12A_7-type preamp tubes can be substituted as well. Switchable from tube to solid state rectification. Coupler switches for preamp tubes on each channel. Half-power/Pentode-Triode switch. Sweet (59 Bassman) and Tunder (More Aggressive Marshally) switch. Pull on bass knob for "Plexi Mod." Pull on each volume knob for expanding band width. 3-way bright switch for the normal channel. Whew! Other features, too, so consult John's note if interested.

Also, you'll get a custom-made wooden flight case built by Vintone and a padded clamshell cover by Studio Slips (see photos).

There is no question that this amplifier will appreciate big-time in value over a few years or even months, and I would let it do so if I felt I could. But, I'm offering this magnificent piece--with the custom flight case, the extra set of Mullard NOS tubes, and the Studio Slips padded clamshell case--here for $6,500 shipped CONUS.. . Buyer will pick up the PayPal fees unless he or she is willing to use PayPal "gift" or pay with a Bank/Cashier's Check/M.O. (I have well over 1200 unique transactions on Ebay with 100% positive feedback for trust.). I've decided that I just can't part with this amp unless someone is willing to pay at least close to what I feel it's worth. The padded cover, the custom flight case, the extra Mullard NOS tubes, the shipping are basically FREE at this price. Thanks for looking. Questions, requests, etc to me at drpdryhnsm@aol.com or PM.
    From bubbagump_j, an owner of one of the others, below:
    "I own one, (flamed maple cab).

Truly one of those...holy grail...once in a lifetime.. epic guitar amplifiers, that you would be inclined to hold on to, once it's in your possession. A very hard find. Surprising to see one available. Even more surprised to see it last this long.

To me, it really has its own signature sound going on. But, the best description, is a Marshall on steroids crossed with a hi-fi organic tones of an Alessandro. With a lot of range, or a big "sweet spot" sort of speak, (when dialing it in).

Good luck with the sale of your heirloom amplifier."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  2. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Whoa, Mark! Now that's one heckuva piece!!!

Sorry to hear about your employment situation, I am in the same boat. :(

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Dang, that is so SWEEEEEET!

4. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

Best amps I have ever played. Best of luck with the sale.

5. bilbal

bilbal Member

Any chance you could link to clips of this amp? There are a couple "custom 50 proto?" videos on youtube that are not done very well - not sure what that amp is actually.

I'll keep trying to find some.

6. Mark Williams

I agree the videos of the "custom 50 proto" on YouTube are not done very well (and that's being kind). They give you no idea what this amp can do.....at all.
    I'm sorry I don't have links to any clips of this amp, and, since there have been so few made, I don't know who else might have them. Although it's based on an Early Marshall circuit, I think, in some measure, there are so many options (all of them great-sounding and usable) with the "plexi mod," switchable rectifiers, coupler switches, "Tunder and Sweet" modes, expandable band width, tube changes, triode/pentode switch, etc, that it's something like several amps in one--and this time, all of those amps are good--very good.

7. bubbagump_j

bubbagump_j Gold Supporting Member

I own one, (flamed maple cab).

Truly one of those...holy grail...once in a lifetime.. epic guitar amplifiers, that you would be inclined to hold on to, once it's in your possession. A very hard find. Surprising to see one available. Even more surprised to see it last this long.

To me, it really has its own signature sound going on. But, the best description, is a Marshall on steroids crossed with a hi-fi organic tones of an Alessandro. With a lot of range, or a big "sweet spot" sort of speak, (when dialing it in).

Good luck with the sale of your heirloom amplifier.

8. Mark Williams

Very well put. It's worth noting, too, that no two of the few built, according to John Landgraff, are exactly the same as they are all custom builds---the raves about the quality of work and the great tones, however, are consistent from owners, however.
    Several offers and lots of interest so far, but no offer is quite in what I think of as the reasonable range yet.

9. egaudet

egaudet Member

I keep thinking of selling mine from time to time for the money and pushing from the wife, but just haven't gotten up the courage yet. I sat with John in his living room while we went through different tubes to find the ones that sounded best to he and I. We have done the same every time he worked on an amp and also for every Landgraff pedal he ever built for me with the transistors. I am glad to have him as a personal friend. He's a great guy. The clips are not running through the features, but it is in action in a live show. I am also using a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive to push the front end. These clips are from 2009, and I cannot remember what settings were on the amp. If you look closely, I am also playing through a Landgraff 2x12 cabinet, serial #001, that John built himself before he started using Bob Burt to build his cabinets. I believe he built less than 5 because with his pedal orders to Japan, which takes up most of his time, it was too labor intensive. Anyway, here are a few clips from the gig. I am sweating "bullets" in the red tshirt on the left, stage right. There is a larger Marshall behind me. Mine is lower to the ground behind me. Black tolex covered Landgraff head and natural wood 2x12 cab. Only fimed with an older Sony camcorder by my wife, so I took what I could get! Lol...I hate that you have to sell it, but understandable with your employment situation. Good luck!

Remedy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cQ_jK_678

Even Flow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR6rrbyuLnM

Wanted Dead or Alive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo7Ko8GnTPA

10. cholula69

cholula69 Silver Supporting Member

Is this the amp from Gbase? The photos look to be the same.

11. egaudet

egaudet Member

I listed my post to put my 2 cents in about Landgraff amps and for sound clips. John is a friend of mine, but I feel uncomfortable calling in favors to him. Yes, his turnaround time is unusually long, but I've had a few members inbox me to call in favors to expedite their orders. It was an extremely long wait for my amp, pedals and the times I brought my vintage amps for servicing, but I don't want to be a go between. No offense to anyone, but I have ZERO to do with his business.

12. Mark Williams

Extremely rare custom amp from John Landgraff with Bob Burt Red Oak Cab, Vintone Roadcase, padded Studio Slips cover, extra pair of NOS Mullard EL34's and Mullard 12AX7's.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  13. v-verb

v-verb Member

This was mine from Roger Lund. I wish I had sold some of my other gear before I sold this one as it's got a special sound. And the clean should has this otherworldly sustain going on.

Seriously one of the best amps I've ever played and if I was flush I would buy it back in an instant. It really is a special piece

Good Luck with the sale Mark!

14. Mark Williams

"This was mine from Roger Lund. I wish I had sold some of my other gear before I sold this one as it's got a special sound. And the clean should has this otherworldly sustain going on.

Seriously one of the best amps I've ever played and if I was flush I would buy it back in an instant. It really is a special piece."
    ---------------v-verb in Toronto

Thanks, v-verb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.