John Legend’s “Rocket Man” Not That Good

joebloggs13

seems like one of those songs no one should ever cover...a lot of elton john songs shouldn't be covered...someone should start a thread of "successful elton john covers"...i can only think of aretha doing take me to the pilot
I will disagree with you. This guy hits one out of the park...George Michael had a phenomenal voice, even Elton John knew that.

GtrGeorge!

seems like one of those songs no one should ever cover...a lot of elton john songs shouldn't be covered...someone should start a thread of "successful elton john covers"...i can only think of aretha doing take me to the pilot

First time I heard Elton do "Pilot" I thought HE was covering an Aretha Song"!!!

GtrGeorge!

I will disagree with you. This guy hits one out of the park...George Michael had a phenomenal voice, even Elton John knew that.

And George Michael had a sense of decorum. He knows Elton, is the man. Listen to his introduction, brief as it is. He gets that. And I think he knows his stature by comparison. Further, He respects the song. The important "Elton" elements are there..the BVs...the chorusy guitar, the use of reverb....but he allows Elton and he to move it ahead...harmonies on the lead vocal, the call and answer lead vocals..it definetly added more "sprinkles on top" than just a faithfull cover.
Yes, You can cover Elton...but ya better know exactly what you're working with.
I closed with "Sat Nights Alright for fighting", last week.

ifailedshapes

Gold Supporting Member
Dude. Are you kidding? This isn’t a John Legend concert. He’s got producers telling him what to do, and you really need to consider the context. The Voice is a show dedicated to vocal gymnastics.

If this was a clip of a John Legend concert, then I’d give your opinion some consideration. But it’s a clip from The Voice...

motokev

John Legend Vomits All Over “Rocket Man”

I thought it was ok.
yeah, they went their own way towards the end

but, no one can compete against Elton.

lp_bruce

Silver Supporting Member
Two things. John Legend and I had a short debate on Twitter about performing in parades and I also cover Rocket Man. I've always liked the song, though I'm not sure why. It's a little silly. Third thing is I'm not a big fan of "over singing" songs.

Occam

My wife will watch that show sometimes but only the first few episodes because after that it’s always some bland country singer that’ll win. I’ll walk in every once in awhile and she’ll ask my opinion...it’s not my thing in the slightest. I don’t like pop music, I think singers are overrated in the world of music and I don’t like covers. There was one young woman a few years ago that had a really unique, deep but nuanced voice and she lost to the most milquetoast country dude that did a horrific Etta James cover. I honestly think the show says more about the social and cultural climate in America and how that impacts our politics (not joking).

Mattaraja

I don’t often watch The Voice, but happened to last night. At one point in the show John Legend and his protege do a cover of Rocket Man. I’ve always loved that song so I was kinda psyched to see them perform it. Not a huge John Legend fan, but the cat can obviously sing and play, and you would figure he’d do a song like that proper justice. Evidently, he doesn’t believe the “less is more” approach applies to vocals. Starts out ok, but...

...now do the guitar solo at 2:06.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom