• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

John Mayer and Phil Lesh Shows

Creighton

Nobody wants to hear an SRV clone wanking minor pentatonic scales over Grateful Dead songs. Any blues hack guitarist could play those tired licks he's inundating the crowd with.

So far I only watched half of the second video but I really like the music. Mayer seems like the new guy in the band trying to find his place, but the rest of the band sounds very good. I'll be interested to see how their sound progresses over the later videos. Thanks for posting.

[Edit]
Finished the second video and about 3/4 of the way through Mayer finally got his spotlight solo and, although the other two guitarists are very good, it's obvious he has the better chops. Whether his chops fit into this type of music I'm not sure, I'll watch the later videos and see.

Last edited:

Creighton

Ok ok that was a troll post by me. I was actually echoing some of the commentary here on TGP when those videos first came out. Mayer is apparently a very polarizing musician. I happen to think he's a fantastic and original player, hardly the blues hack some think he is.

What's funny is that if you listen to the videos very rarely does Mayer even play anything minor pentatonic. He creates some really beautiful passages and obviously has a very strong grasp of theory.

Last edited:

EricPeterson

Ok ok that was a troll post by me. I was actually echoing some of the commentary here on TGP when those videos first came out. Mayer is apparently a very polarizing musician. I happen to think he's a fantastic and original player, hardly the blues hack some think he is.

What's funny is that if you listen to the videos very rarely does Mayer even play anything minor pentatonic. He creates some really beautiful passages and obviously has a very strong grasp of theory.
I am glad I read your next post, I was going to ask if you even watched the clips, lots more going on that minor pentatonic wanking. But now that I see the second post, it seems we agree.

John is not Jerry obviously, but he brought an interesting flavor to the shows.

Lephty

Put it this way...I don't mind John Mayer, and I'm actually kind of glad to see him getting into this kind of music, but I wouldn't spend $200 on a ticket and fly to Chicago to see them at Soldier Field.

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure how many new to this style, as is Mayer, maybe 1-year into listening to GD and just getting done with his Dylan/Young dose could do better, sorry, all while checking his stardom at door by showing great etiquette in this gig by laying low...he didn't step on any shoes....he let it come to him. I thought he played great considering "newness" to this music and importantly fans love it.... latter should mean something.?.

Carmour

I want to watch it but you posted nearly 9 hours of footage haha. Any suggestions on which to watch in particular?

Trending Topics