• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

John Mayer Guitar Effect

barthowk

On John Mayer's Continuum album, track 2 (I Don't Trust Myself With Loving You), the intro guitar solo has a really cool kind of fast swell or something on the attacks of each note. I can't figure out what it is. It doesn't sound like a compressor to me.

I thought it might be something like the Boss Slow Gear SG-1 (http://www.noiseguide.com/product_info/boss_slow_gear_sg1), but I've never used one, so I don't know.

Does anyone know what it is?

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
That was my guess as well. I wonder how many people bought one after hearing the awesome effect in "Bigger Than My Body"?

-Austin

Wiz-ski

Double Platinum Member
You can still get there on I Don't Trust Myself With Loving You with a Q-Tron or other envelope filter, roll back your tone a hair, and play with your fingers.

barthowk

Okay, so what about the quarter-note background instrument. I can't even tell whether its a keyboard or guitar, but it has kind of the same sound as the guitar solo. Anyone know what the background is?

Demioblue

Silver Supporting Member
It actually sounds kind of inconsistent to me. Couldn't it just be a OD, and a volume knob? He sounds like he's playing dyads, so tap those dyads with your left hand, and use the volume knob with your right. No?

John Mayer guitar effect

There's a pedal that will make Jennifer Aniston fall in love with me?

How much $$ is it?

Sorry to be a smartass...I just couldn't resist this one..............

Dannc6

Okay, so what about the quarter-note background instrument. I can't even tell whether its a keyboard or guitar, but it has kind of the same sound as the guitar solo. Anyone know what the background is?
I think you're talking about the eight-note backing guitar part?
That's the same effect as the single note melody line. It's not tapping dyads and vol. control. It's a three note chord partial that ascends up the neck, plucked with the fingers.

They are both an adrenalinn set on a dynamic filter setting. The filter reacts to the dynamics of how you play the guitar. Since he plays with his fingers, there's a lot of space for that filter to be both noticed and manipulated. It sounds a little like a wah, but it's automatically controlled by the dynamics of his attack/volume.

I think the studio version sounds a bit more ambiguous than his live version (the "Where the light is" recording). On the live version, especially the 'Hold On' intro, you can hear the pedal working harder and giving a more noticeable filter sound that responds to his dynamics. It's really like a dynamically controlled autowah or something of the like.

If you have an adrenalinn, it takes about one minute to get this effect to dead on NAIL Mayer's tone on this song. Pretty cool. I'm 100% sure that this is the effect he uses to get this sound, although I'm not saying that you couldn't cop it using a different effect.

barthowk

I think you're talking about the eight-note backing guitar part?
That's the same effect as the single note melody line.

They are both an adrenalinn set on a dynamic filter setting. The filter reacts to the dynamics of how you play the guitar. Since he plays with his fingers, there's a lot of space for that filter to be both noticed and manipulated. It sounds a little like a wah, but it's automatically controlled by the dynamics of his attack/volume.

I think the studio version sounds a bit more ambiguous than his live version (the "Where the light is" recording). On the live version, especially the 'Hold On' intro, you can hear the pedal working harder and giving a more noticeable filter sound that responds to his dynamics. It's really like a dynamically controlled autowah or something of the like.

If you have an adrenalinn, it takes about one minute to get this effect to dead on NAIL Mayer's tone on this song. Pretty cool.
Ya, I meant the eighth-note part. I think I'm gonna have to get one of those pedals!

BPSUL

wow - I've not listened to that song intently before... but honestly I thought it was some sort of wind instrument, not even a guitar at all. Like a little pipe organ with the bass and trebble cut and a blanket over the pipes. Sheesh, are we talking about the same song? lol

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
Oh, found it! It's in the FAQ on his website...

Q: How can I get the sounds John Mayer used on his song "I Don't Trust Myself (with Loving You)"?
To get the sound used on the open chord riff, as well as the drumbeat:
Set PRESET to 73
Set DRUMBEAT to '1'
Set TEMPO to 84
And to get the sound used on the melody line that follows the opening chord riff, select preset 160.

Edit: That's for the Adrenalin III. There are settings for the I and II in the FAQ, as well as settings for Bigger Than My Body
I'm finishing up a review of the ADIII for the next issue of FrugalGuitarist.com, no question it's the ADIII once you play those presets. I must say it is one of the coolest little effect boxes I've ever played. Combining the pitch, filter, and tempo synched effects really allows for some very original and tasty yet off the wall sounds. The amp modeling is surprisingly good as well...

lemonpaul59

On John Mayer's Continuum album, track 2 (I Don't Trust Myself With Loving You), the intro guitar solo has a really cool kind of fast swell or something on the attacks of each note. I can't figure out what it is. It doesn't sound like a compressor to me.

I thought it might be something like the Boss Slow Gear SG-1 (http://www.noiseguide.com/product_info/boss_slow_gear_sg1), but I've never used one, so I don't know.

Does anyone know what it is?

I think it is an extra dose of femininity.

o0Ampy0o

Is there someone singing through that thing on at least one channel? One contribution sounds like a voice ran through an effect. I hear the guitar and I hear a straight vocal also. Seems like I could pick out words from the lyrics.

StanG

John Mayer guitar effect

There's a pedal that will make Jennifer Aniston fall in love with me?

How much $$ is it?

Sorry to be a smartass...I just couldn't resist this one..............

You don't want love, she's probably pretty high maintenance and will bug you when you want to be chillin'. You just want her to want you for a while.

Trending Topics