John Mayer just posted this classy message on instagram. re: Dead and Co upcoming tour

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kwaves99, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Lance

Lance Member

Or, Simple Twist of Fate!

Lucidology likes this.
  2. T92780

T92780 Gold Supporting Member

Body language I got from 3-D&C shows was bathroom, drink, etc time for Drums/Space....wonder why they don't drop and add 2-tunes.?.

3. MattH

MattH Supporting Member

Just my opinion, it’s a tradition that ties them back to their roots at the Acid Tests, and has provided a spot to create in front of an audience with zero expectations.

Personally, I dig the drums/space portion. I like the beam. I like the programmed pieces that have been inserted. They’re working off setlists so it’s not as spontaneous as the Grateful Dead pre-set list era, but I like to see how they transition from improv noise to a song out of space.

T92780 and Creighton like this.
  4. GeorgiaSam77

GeorgiaSam77 Member

not to rehash this again but even he would agree he was. The John Mayer of 2017 is so far removed from the Mayer of 5 plus years ago, its remarkable. Part of me thinks something happened to him when he lost his voice for such a long period of time a few years back. He moved to Montana and really just mellowed out. Every interview i hear him do now he just comes across so different, and often ridicules his past self.

Ryan Swanson and Bluesful like this.
  5. tnvol

tnvol Member

I hear you. I haven't payed attention to him in years. Good for him.

GeorgiaSam77 likes this.
  6. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I listened to the nugs.net recording of the show and agree the first few tunes sound plinky but warm up and fatten up after that. Some great cuts during that show!

7. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

The Grateful Dead are almost becoming a genre unto themselves. I'm not talking about jam bands. I'm talking about the fact that you have JRAD, Dark Star Orchestra, and hundreds of other Dead cover bands performing their music nightly in much the same way that standards were/are performed in jazz. The tunes are a launching point for the improv skills of the musicians that love the compositions. I think it would be really cool if Dead and Company becomes an ongoing project in that ilk and the de facto torchbearers of this music going forward. Once the original Grateful Dead members no longer want to do it, how cool would it be if Mayer, Otiel, and Chimenti kept it going and brought new performers into that band. Say the drummers decide to retire and they bring in Alex Koford or Joe Russo or both. I think this thing could be a torchbearer if handled correctly.

Jon Silberman likes this.
  8. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

Saw the gang at Band Together last week at AT&T field. A certain deja vu came over me knowing that it all started just a few miles down the road. John was at the top of his game the whole set (about an hour).

One regret, wish they didn't change up the groove in Scarlet Begonias...

9. smolder

smolder Silver Supporting Member

Nice quote. Respect.

We'll be traveling to Dallas... our third show, one each tour. I dig what Mayer brings to this music.

10. aeo

aeo Member

it probably sounds cliche but it feels like he's a man who's finally had his ego shattered to pieces by psychedelics. and he had one of the biggest egos in the biz.

obviously he's gained some maturity in the process and he really seems like somebody who doesn't take himself so seriously anymore. taking on the jerry role and completely removing the expectation that he needs to be 'John Mayer' each night must be a crazy (and liberating) feeling for a guy whos whole career has just been about him in the spotlight.

11. R2112

R2112 Member

Be that as it may, and while his note was nice -- if he's trying to capture Garcia's playing in his own, he's failing miserably. Garcia WAS the Grateful Dead. As soon as I hear The Dead playing one of the old tunes, as soon as the guitarist -- be it Warren or Mayer or whoever -- starts playing, it takes me right out of the show.

I mean God Bless them for trying, but the Grateful Dead was over in 1995.

12. prototype

prototype Member

funny as i'm reading this Mayer is putting Two Rock on blast on instagram for allegedly scamming customers with reject JM sigs selling as $40k "prototypes"

GeorgiaSam77, T92780 and clayt0n like this.
  13. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

MGS Night 2 Opener, "Hell in a Bucket"

Fast forward to around 5:40 for the tune.
    John's tone is FAR to clean. Step on that TS10 JohnBoy and rip it up !!! Is Bobby holding him back ? Seems a lot less jammy than the past 3 tours.

14. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Set 2 Help - Slip - Frank...Mayer is just KILLIN IT on the jam with Oteil during Slipknot, and during Franklin's Tower, OMG, it's just flowing...so much fun.

Alchemist XP and GeorgiaSam77 like this.
  15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I truly am sorry you feel this way. Oh, it's your right, for sure. I'm just sorry you're missing out on the joy that I and so many of my Deadhead friends are continuing to get from Dead and Company and also from other ongoing Dead-inspired projects. Of course "it's not the Grateful Dead." It's something different. I don't think it would hurt you to let go some on this.

Kurt L and Bluesful like this.
  16. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I'm currently working up Help>Slip for a project and it was cool to see how Mayer plays it. Much different fingerings than I figured out.

17. MattH

MattH Supporting Member

Just a hunch, but I’d venture to guess the guy who took LSD every Saturday for a year isn’t “holding him back” creatively. :)

18. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

Thanks for posting the show clips, guys! I think I’ll have a listen in an hour when I go to bed...

(Waiting for the inevitable “The Dead have been putting me to sleep for 40 years” joke.)

JohnK24 likes this.
  19. R2112

R2112 Member

Glad you like it. I've tried with each iteration going back to Joan Osbourne-fronted Dead, and it just doesn't work for me. If you dig it, great. I have nearly 150 officially-released GD concerts and 900+ more shows of '65-'95 GD I've traded for over the years. That's enough to tide me over for the rest of my life.

20. GeorgiaSam77

GeorgiaSam77 Member

This has been my hope for a while. I absolutely love Dead and Co, im going to my 4th show this coming Saturday. But with that said the older guys are definitely the more inconsistent component of the band, and with their age that is completely understandable. Its why often times the tempos are a tad slower than most would like. I still love it all, but it would be awesome if eventually John and the boys have a drummer that can really keep up tempo wise. When John played with JRAD a few weeks ago we got a little taste of that.