John Mayer OFFICIALLY leaves Fender

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by shaun_mac, May 29, 2015.

1. PeaElAre

PeaElAre Member

Good God...that PRS is beautiful. I've never been a huge PRS guy that one is a work of art. I wonder what all the switches are about.

2. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

Agreed! I dunno, I'd be interested to know, but this PRS endorsement is the last nail I'd say.

3. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Last nail for who?

EataPeach likes this.
  4. grapeshot

grapeshot Member

Mayer has been on the PRS artist page for years. This is not new information, just a new guitar.

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

He will continue to use Fender guitars, just no endorsement gig so no money benefits for either side.

6. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I like the first comment in teh link by DeeezNutz

7. gigs

gigs Member

Watch what he plays, not what he says.

8. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

I'm digging the flamey PRS,looks real nice. :dude

9. Bogner

Bogner Member

There is definitely a split from Fender. Good for him for joining up with a company doing something fresh and new and refusing to live off of yesteryear.

10. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

That's too bad (for both Fender and JM). I've always thought that 99% of the PRS guitars out there are way on the gaudy side. Most PRS guitars I've played have played great and sounded good, but they're little bit in the Ed Hardy category of instruments in their visuals. He's the one with the talent though, so I think my aesthetic opinion on PRS matters little to nil. :)

Jessica and conanb like this.
  11. shaun_mac

shaun_mac Member

hahaha yeah that is pretty funny

12. conanb

conanb Member

I've yet to see a PRS guitar that I liked the look of. To me they all look like they're designed for playing Steve Vai licks all day long. In a candle lit room. While I flick my hair around the place.

13. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Right, because one of the two biggest guitar companies in the history of electric guitar, one that helped create rock and roll and the music of the past 60 years, should probably just ignore those instruments that are the bedrock and foundation of their company and countless others. Good thinking.

(Giant eye-roll emoticon here)

EataPeach and Clyde Billt like this.
  14. sleewell

sleewell Member

this happened months ago, and there were many threads about it.

15. Bogner

Bogner Member

In your eye rolling frenzy you miss my point. When you get off your nostalgia high maybe you can tell me how Fender and Gibson has advanced in guitar building? Is it their perfecting the relic? Is it the hyde glue? Is it the rare quality find of 1 out of 100 that don't play like ass? I like fender, I dislike Gibson but own both brands but you can't tell me they have advanced guitars like other companies have in fit/finish/consistency like PRS has and others.

16. LoopyBullet

LoopyBullet Supporting Member

I agree with Matt, to a degree.

For me, don't improve something that doesn't really need to be improved. Improve on issues that should be improve where they're found, but messing with aesthetics and little things that people love in a historical company is a misstep. It's different for every company depending on their place in history.

PRS is different - they don't have that kind of history, so they don't need quite as much reverence to the past as companies like Gibson and Fender. They're kind of the Taylor of the electric universe. Even so, I'm not sure that I've noticed anything so forward-thinking that PRS has done to improve the guitar that puts it leagues ahead of the aforementioned companies (or at least, it doesn't translate to me noticing great consistency or superiority when I play them). Of the MIM Fender Strats I've played, especially in the past 3 years, the finish and playability on each one has been so spot on that I can't justify an American Strat.

Moral of my story is that, PRS should keep innovating, and that's a great thing. Gibson and Fender should keep their place in history and innovate where it's needed, but be careful because there are things that people love because of their history...but lastly (and this is pure opinion), innovations that PRS has made haven't improved on those original designs THAT much, at least from my angle. They all make good guitars, and that's the main thing.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  17. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Has nothing to do with nostalgia or hide glue. Your comment made it sound like Fender should just stop making Strats and Teles, ignore everything they've invented and everything they set the foundation for, which includes Paul Reed Smith, and try to reinvent the wheel THEY CREATED. Look at how many of their models are attempting to put a spin on the Stratocaster. Fender has been doing the same thing for decades. They never stopped creating or trying new things.

18. micycle

micycle Member

You just summed up what I've always tried to verbalize what I've never liked about them!

To each his/her own though, I'm sure there are a lot of PRS fans who would wonder who on earth the kinds of guitars I play would appeal to.