• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

John Mayer on Conan: LOVE

Ryan

Very cool stuff. That's the way you cover a tune, IMHO. Must admit, however, that I wanted to hear a B3 cover the void during the solo. That's just me. I'm not a trio guy. To much emptiness during the solos. But I like those chops, and I think subtle sloppiness is actually part of the chop. Gives it that raw edge.

(Sidenote: Not sure I'm diggin the Conan thing yet. Miss the interplay with the band leader. The overall presentation seems dwarfed by the stage. I'll bet they tighten up the set and bring Max and the guys closer at some point.)
I agree with the bold. Trios always seem to fade out when it's solo time, there's just not enough to fill the space. A bass player who is also good on keys would be perfect. Back on topic, I enjoyed the vid and the song. Wish it had a little more dynamics to it, but still enjoyed it.

theHoss

It has been a while since I have posted in a JM thread. The performance caught me totally off guard. As a fan and a player who enjoys his music I can safely say that I am more excited now than I was yesterday about his new work. That opening swirly riff caught my attention immediately and they held it the rest of the way. Fresh take John. Thanks.

versatel

In 5.1 surround it sounded great. I don't understand the "sloppy" criticisms. I like my live rock a little sloppy, edgy, ala Hendrix live stuff for example. I'm wondering what some of these Gear Pagers critics consider an excellent live rock comparison---so I know where they're coming from.

clemduolian

Gold Supporting Member
Under 3:30 (TV timing), great use of children's choir, GREAT TRIO, live TV performance, excellent song choice, great energy.

As Byron Katie says, "You have to love what is." I'm not a JM fan per se, but I loved THAT.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Bummed that I missed that live and that I can't get Youtube here at work!!!! Doh!

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I thought that was extremely cool. One of the things I like about John Mayer is that my daughter(22) digs him. It's nice she's getting exposed to some guitar music by an artist whose age she can relate to.
Absolutely. I think I like that about JM as much as his playing, tone and talent in general--he's someone that exposing a lot of younger people to cool music.

aeolian

They did have a plexi enclosure around John's amps too. And still the guitar was too loud. But even though it was wrapped pretty tight around the amps, the tone was still great. If you've ever played with these things, they can affect the tone pretty drastically if they're too close.

I liked how he quoted the original flute solo but made it sound like he was quoting Hendrix with the tone and feel.

What I like about John is that it seems to be all about the music to him. You get the feeling that he just enjoys making music. There's some high energy to his playing (a la SRV and such) but I really don't think he's trying to show off and be a guitar god. From the arranging and production he does, and the other influences he has, I'm sure he could be pulling off trick altered licks and probably spew some chops. But he seems to be more into a certain vibe and making music with it. Who knows where he'll go next. But I have a feeling I will enjoy it.

bigeric

The baffles remind of so many Vegas gigs. Not fun in the least. His playing sounded good to me. On the other hand I thought the amps were kind of average sounding. I think he would have better tone with a nice 100 watt superlead.

kendog

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, baffles can get strange but they look cool.
Its funny some guys say great tone and bad playing, some say bad tone and great playing, some say both are great, and some say both stink.

picnic

I enjoyed the performance. It was good enough that it doesn't deserve to be panned. TV show, cover song, nothing new here. Performance was terrific.

What I'm confused about is all the rave over Dumbles and Two Rocks. Great sound there, but I would rather he played through a DRRI on 5. IMO, that would have had a better sound

kentatonic

Under 3:30 (TV timing), great use of children's choir, GREAT TRIO, live TV performance, excellent song choice, great energy.

As Byron Katie says, "You have to love what is." I'm not a JM fan per se, but I loved THAT.
Great post, and I agree completely...especially with the bolded statement. For what it was, given my personal tastes (and especially the fact that I love me some re-worked covers), I thought it was great.

((And now for the great intraweb aesthetic disclaimers: IMO and YMMV. ))

versatel

I listened without a critic's ear--the song holds special energy for me growing up in the bay area in the 60's. His take was far from the original--but a valid John Mayer interpretation. Kudos John!
Are we like art critics here---dissecting brush strokes and choice of colour--instead of being moved (or able to be moved) by the painting?

Trending Topics