John Mayer Relic strat

8Painting

Not to be so negative.

But man, was that thing horrible looking.

Bad relic job if i say so myself.

Maybe its because all those Ibanez cats are so used to Poly.

damo7v

Yikes!

I've seen a few of this guy's efforts and they've all failed to impress.

I used to spend quite a bit of time on jemsite, but the juvenile rants drove me to TPG.

kstraine

A guy I know wanted something like that really fast and it turned out to be a lesson in not using a belt sander to do a relic job! He gigged it too, I couldn't believe it...

HeeHaw

I'd say it's a failure as a relic. However if the fella likes it then more power to him.

KCWM

Supporting Member
Wow. That was a crappy looking guitar. He posted the picture of John Mayer's strat and that one looks NOTHING like the one Mayer has. I really dig the look of that black strat Mayer plays and the sunburst relic'd guitar that Mike McCready of Pearl Jam plays.

$1500 for allparts stuff? His labor was worth around $1000?!? Wow. I'm in the wrong line of work.

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
I don't mean to be a downer here but alot of builders charge that much for allparts stuff. I have a K-line that has allparts stuff that I paid 1500.00 and was no where near as reliced as that. Meaning less labor. So did I get ripped off? Nash also uses all parts from what I hear. Now to be clear, I am not saying I did get ripped off. But the above indicates I did.

rainmaker

that guy actually does a lot of work. i've seen him do a lot of hwy 1's and he also relics poly. as much as one can relic poly, but does a good job. as a matter of fact, i think he actually does the relic work for a bass maker but i can't remember which one. you can see his work on the reranch forums. i think it's the same guy.

KCWM

Supporting Member
I don't mean to be a downer here but alot of builders charge that much for allparts stuff. I have a K-line that has allparts stuff that I paid 1500.00 and was no where near as reliced as that. Meaning less labor. So did I get ripped off? Nash also uses all parts from what I hear. Now to be clear, I am not saying I did get ripped off. But the above indicates I did.

Fair enough.

I would never pay someone that much for their labor. I could understand if the neck and body were of top notch quality...but those allpart neck and body? Alder? That's not too pricey.

I looked into it
$165 for the neck
$230 for the body
$130 for the vintage noiseless pickups
$50 for the bridge
$30 or $45 for the tuners
and an even $80 for everything else (pickguard, screws, springs, neck and control plate, switch, pots etc)

All of that is $700. My estimation of $500 was off. But that's still $800 for labor on a relic job that's nowhere close to the referenced picture. There are some really nice guitars you can get for $1500, new and used, that are going to have better cuts of Alder, a much better neck, better electronics, etc.

You can pick up one helluva strat for $1500..less even and then have it relic'd. You can pick up a used PRS or the occasional Les Paul standard. O might not understand relicing a guitar, but even just looking at it from a "quality" guitar standpoint...

But, different strokes...

:BEER

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Fair enough.

I would never pay someone that much for their labor. I could understand if the neck and body were of top notch quality...but those allpart neck and body? Alder? That's not too pricey.

I looked into it
$165 for the neck
$230 for the body
$130 for the vintage noiseless pickups
$50 for the bridge
$30 or $45 for the tuners
and an even $80 for everything else (pickguard, screws, springs, neck and control plate, switch, pots etc)

All of that is $700. My estimation of $500 was off. But that's still $800 for labor on a relic job that's nowhere close to the referenced picture. There are some really nice guitars you can get for $1500, new and used, that are going to have better cuts of Alder, a much better neck, better electronics, etc.

You can pick up one helluva strat for $1500..less even and then have it relic'd. You can pick up a used PRS or the occasional Les Paul standard. O might not understand relicing a guitar, but even just looking at it from a "quality" guitar standpoint...

But, different strokes...

:BEER

Hey man, I am not saying you are not right about the hefty mark up with allparts stuff. All those guys get that stuff at cost too. I work in a guitar store that deals all parts. Cost is usually very close to half what you listed. But that is how the game goes. There are makers I am sure who get that stuff and call it hand made and sand off the allparts markings and sell it for WAY more than k-lines and nashs. But the same goes for pedals and everything else for that matter. If you know how to do it yourself, a landgraff doesn't cost 4-500. But you pay for the builders ability to put stuff together the right way. Another example is labor for your car. You can go get the part at the parts store way cheaper than they sell it to you for and put it on yourself for free. But if you have someone else do something for you, you pay. Sometimes alot.

jaimo

I don't know. It doesn't look that far off from a Rory Gallagher strat.
jes' sayin'..

BluePowder

I honestly think it looks pretty good.

Sometimes I wish my EJ would look like a Relic.

I do have certain reservations regarding the whole relic process and trend, but at the same time I can't help but feel that they are so damn cool.

buddastrat

I don't think it looks too good. Besides the horrible paint job, that white guard just gives it an amateur look. He should've at least suggested to the buyer a parchment W/B/W guard, if not mint green. A single ply white guard won't age like that. That guitar just looks real beat up and trashed, like owned by some skater dude.

jowe

Might be off topic, but I'm curious how its so worn down above the neck pickup on johns strat. Surely thats not a common resting spot, or some where the hand would be rubbing against?

Speed_Racer71

looks like some sort of wood disease with the paint all splotchy. i know the guy put some hrs into it but you walk in with that and people are just going to know it didnt get that way with everyday wear and tear. kinda like being bald on monday and coming in weds with a mullet. not dissing relics, i like the light relic or the closet/under the bed thing where you have maybe 2 dings and some color fading but thats about it anything more and a lot not all just doesnt look quite right. just my .02 though no harm no foul

Trending Topics

Top Bottom