• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

John Mayer Sob Rock

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Yikes!
First off, I can't believe how many people even in this thread have heard the whole album already and have pretty detailed reviews. Does that mean y'all bought the album? Or are streaming it or something? In any case, good sign for Mayer.
I really, really need to listen to Continuum front to back (might get it on Apple Music). At my gig last night sound guy was playing Mayer in between sets, he does have some good stuff (from songwriting perspective). I also LOVE his TRIO album, killer (that's all I currently own).
That video (and song) are hard to reconcile whether it's serious or a joke -- it is kind of like in between?
He really should have hired Luke to do all the guitar work. Some big outro solo's, I mean a lot of that 80's pop STILL had big guitar influences, monster players and producers and more ENERGY in the overall songs, performance and presentation.
People can joke and make fun of 80's Pop, but the fact is some excellent songs were written and recorded extremely well.
This is linked tune is super bland... is it on purpose?
I mean, if I was an A & R guy in the 80's this would be a hard pass for me, just saying.
Mayer is VERY self-aware. He knows what he’s doing. It’s probably serious and a joke.

DG_Griffin

John was my inspiration for picking up the guitar. Perhaps I’m biased (just like most of TGP is biased to hate on him) but I really like the album. Possibly my favorite since Continuum.

I personally love the 80s vibe and as a guitarist I really enjoyed amount of guitar work on this album.

MikeFM

Yikes!
First off, I can't believe how many people even in this thread have heard the whole album already and have pretty detailed reviews. Does that mean y'all bought the album? Or are streaming it or something? In any case, good sign for Mayer.
I really, really need to listen to Continuum front to back (might get it on Apple Music). At my gig last night sound guy was playing Mayer in between sets, he does have some good stuff (from songwriting perspective). I also LOVE his TRIO album, killer (that's all I currently own).
That video (and song) are hard to reconcile whether it's serious or a joke -- it is kind of like in between?
He really should have hired Luke to do all the guitar work. Some big outro solo's, I mean a lot of that 80's pop STILL had big guitar influences, monster players and producers and more ENERGY in the overall songs, performance and presentation.
People can joke and make fun of 80's Pop, but the fact is some excellent songs were written and recorded extremely well.
I mean, if I was an A & R guy in the 80's this would be a hard pass for me, just saying.
It came out at midnight on all streaming services.

I agree with you about the 80s pop having great guitar playing. An underrated musical decade in my opinion. John made a comment once about the 80s there really resonated me some were both the same age. To paraphrase, he was saying that that the best part of the 80s is that when you turned on the radio you could hear anything from like Michael Jackson to The Police to Toto or whoever and it was all different and it was all great. So yeah, for me it was a great decade to musically grow up in. But it’s gets remembered more for it bad fashion and cheesy music videos.

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
Is he chasing Continuum? Don't know the closes he ever made was Try but that was before Continuum. Continuum is a masterpiece, but why the hell would he make a second Continuum? He's got one.
Don’t mean that he’s trying to make the same album again. I mean in terms of the quality of the entire package. The songwriting. The production. The guitar playing. One catchy song after another. He has said himself that he knows everything he does will be compared to that album.

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
So... last night I only listened to the new songs. Just got in the car... started the album from the beginning.... Last Train Home... which I love.... and that’s when it hit me....

Had we heard nothing from this album until today.... I think our reactions would be a whole lot different. Drastically different.

The most interesting songs... the biggest songs... the songs he will definitely do (or really, has already done) live... we’ve already heard. Several of the new songs we’re just hearing for the first time do not rise to the same level.

He put out the Search for Everything in chunks and I think it helped the album. Feels like a similar approach has a very different effect here. The album would have been better served if we got it all at once.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
So as a fan of John's music since 1999, to me his top 3 albums are: Born & Raised, Paradise Valley & Continuum in that order. I just finished listening to Sob Rock, beginning to end, and I have to say this album is probably at the bottom of the list for me :( There are some cool tones, the production is great, lyrically though (to me) it's just not that good. This one was just rough at times to get through. Haven't felt this way about any album he's put out. Heavier Things is probably my least favorite album up until this, but I can still listen to that one occasionally, I'll listen to this one again but not sure about how often after that.

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Love the guitar work on Wild Blue and like so many other songs. Overall I dig the album so far after two full listens this morning. It's what I was expecting coming from a guy that LOVES Behind the Sun by Clapton that was recorded in '84

GerryJ

The exception that proves the rule? :) Good, and interesting, song.
Except it's fictional. So I guess it's still 'all about me', lol.
However, JM does good covers, too, if/when his lyrics don't resonate w you.
He's really no different than Mick Jagger.
'You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.'

MikeFM

So as a fan of John's music since 1999, to me his top 3 albums are: Born & Raised, Paradise Valley & Continuum in that order. I just finished listening to Sob Rock, beginning to end, and I have to say this album is probably at the bottom of the list for me :( There are some cool tones, the production is great, lyrically though (to me) it's just not that good. This one was just rough at times to get through. Haven't felt this way about any album he's put out. Heavier Things is probably my least favorite album up until this, but I can still listen to that one occasionally, I'll listen to this one again but not sure about how often after that.
Wow. Completely agree. Born & Raised was his best album. Paradise Valley feels like a companion piece to B&R (in a good way), and then Continuum is his most popular, and I understand why. But it would be third for me too. This new one, It’s seems like there was a lack of effort there. Musically unimaginative, lyrically shallow, and the overall production seems rushed. But they’ll call it “striped down”. Definitely last place for for me too.

dangeroso

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a Mayer fan.

The word is unremarkable. It's not bad and it's certainly not approaching great. 'Why You No Love Me' should've found the cutting room floor but the rest stands up well enough.

I'm resigned to feeling he'll never achieve another Continuum level of excellence album so this is par for the course.
That's interesting. I think The Search for Everything was way better than Continuum. Haven't had a chance to listen to Sob Rock yet.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I’m with you. I occasionally tune-in to check out the latest Mayer release, interview, etc, in the hopes that he’s turned a corner and will present himself with more authentic humility. I’d like to root for the guy, but I‘m continually reminded of how much his ego remains on full-tilt.

By his own admission, he’s a ‘recovered ego addict’ (past tense). However, nobody with modesty talks about himself / his material with such excruciating frequency, length and nuanced detail as Mayer does. There are strong tones of narcissism in all of that. He often tries to pass it off as self-deprecation, but it seems transparently like he just looks for opportunities to draw attention to himself.

Obviously, everyone is different. Some people could listen to him all day and they feel inspired by the forensic examination of everything. But, for me, it’s a turnoff that really doesn’t even allow me to stomach his singing voice.

All of that said, he’s definitely a smart person, and I think he writes pretty good pop songs. I have a hard time listening to them because of his voice, but I will give him credit for creating them. ‘Last Train Home’ is a catchy tune. Or maybe I feel that way just because I like late-80s Clapton… IDK.

You know I've thought about this more than I should have, but not just in the JM context. Bieber, Spears...celbrities in general. I've been around a few people who didn't "care" about money...because they had so much. One guy was on the cover of Forbes to give some context. They weren't even celebrities...but were just loaded. I can't even imagine what that's like. From JM's perspective, I consider myself a very grounded person....mostly "do the right thing" in aspects of life, morals, etc. If I, or any of us, were JM where we couldn't walk anywhere without being hounded, dated the likes of Aniston, had more money than we could almost spend and gigged to sold out arenas of screaming people I don't know how you couldn't be an ego maniac. Really. I personally don't have any real clue about what that must be like and I doubt any of us do.
His talent from the early crossroads festivals was just off the chart and whether you like his music or not there is no doubt it's melodically beautiful. I listened to one CD the other day in the car and the words ans music were just masterful. I've not listened to the new ablum yet...but will soon, and I'm routing for him to keep pushing.

Simto

He's my main dude and I dig the album. It's a great summer soundtrack. I wish he had put the acoustic version of "Long train running" on the album instead though, because it's too "Africa" sounding to me and that's one of my all time hate songs. The acoustic version is great though.
Continuum and Born & Raised are still number 1 in my book, but I like it. Too bad it'll be ages before I can see him live again.

He writes the songs I wish I could write.

tuumbaq

I think the whole concept and album are both brillian.Its obviously meant to be a satire and
Yikes!

dude, first off , im gonna go on a limb and guess that you weren’t very old in the 80s?

That video is BRILLIANT.The MTV font, the colouring, singing on the phone, the dove,the weird dance moves, the hot painter girl with big glasses, I mean if that isnt clear satire to you im not sure what else they could have done…its cliché after cliché and its pure genius if you ask me

The album came out at 9PM on the west coast, and its hardly l 30 min long…its really not that hard to believe that many people already had an opinion on it early this morning.

Not the biggest JM fan, not gonna say this is his best work but for what it is, I think its awesome…I was around in the 80s, and most of it SUCKED.Sure, a lot of hits came out of it but most albums were VERY bland with ONE good hit song snd most band would have crap load of album with one decent hit….this , is the sound of the 80s and clearly John was just having fun with this album...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom