John Mayer Strat.......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HaloMaster, Jul 17, 2006.

1. HaloMaster

HaloMaster Silver Supporting Member

WOW, I just played a john mayer strat, and what a great sounding strat!!!!! I'm not big on strats but this one really sounded nice. I love the low output pickups, I may have to get one of these!!!!!! Anyone else think these strats sound great?

2. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Never played one, but expect to get some hatery in 3, 2, 1...

:RoCkIn

3. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

4. KarlH

KarlH Supporting Member

b/c John Mayer is a douche.

5. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

the last 3 posts had me ROTF!
    ---i like lower output pups for strats---never played a JM strat--had a J. Vaughan strat that was real nice---but I have 2 now that are the keepers---a 64' refin, stock electronics, and a '98 57' RI "Mary Kay" w/ the gold hardware and Voodoo 50's pups---
    Admittedly, NOT a fan of JM....but I won't trash him---I always thought that was kinda unfair---good for him for making it playing music...i just would never hang on his every word ruminating on music and life philosophies---yawn-o-rama, IMO...but, he's got the forum and popularity to do it...good on him.

ac

6. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I like them a lot as well. Very unique sounding guitars. Maybe not as versital as some strats...but a great blues sound for sure.

7. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

I had a CFM John Mayer Strat. It was a wonderful guitar, I'm sorry that I sold it off. Don't dwell on the fact that it's his signature model, it's a very well done and refined vintage styled Stratocaster.

8. HaloMaster

Well, I don't care about the hatery, I like John mayer, I don't think he is the best guitar player out there, but I like what he's tryin' to do, and I think it will get better with time. As for signature guitars, I hate guitars with names on them, but I was just really impressed with the JM strat!!!! It would make a great guitar for the blues!!!!! I'm definetly going to have to get one!!!!

9. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

It's funny. Having seen so many people try out instruments over the years, Low output pups and really High output pups get the response. "This would be great for the blues". And it's true. A different sound for a different style, but both kinds really get a response where middle of the road pups sound good, but noone makes a declaration about them. No real point, just an observation.

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I haven't heard any John Mayer in a long time. I heard that "halls of highschool" song on the way home from work- and then the John Mayer Strat thread.

11. HaloMaster

I should have said the JM strat would make a great blues guitar for me!!!!!:jo I'm not a fan of high output pickups, but supposedly the big dipper pup's in the JM strat are supposed to scoop the mids and be a lower output pickup!!!! I thought it made my amp sound pretty good!!!! I have never liked the real chimey, sparkly sound of strats, but the JM strat seemed just right to my ears!!!! It didn't have all the high end of a normal fender!!!!

12. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

I've heard it's a fantastic guitar. But it's a shame that so many people would stray from even trying it out just because it's the Mayer sig.

13. Izy

Izy Member

I tried one and loved it, esp the neck. But i'm saving up for a thorn and i do have two killer strats which i love.

So i had to pass.

14. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

ive never played the mayer strat but has all the ingredients to be a winner...mayer is one of the most respected musicians in the blues community, and i would presume other types of communities, since he has collaborated with herbie hancock, scofield, and even kanye west. he's shared the stage with people like buddy guy, eric clapton, bb king and too many other to list. He's a very well respected musician. That is a reason he gets a sig strat and 2 sig martins. I think the people that bash him only know his pop stuff and if its not ur cup of tea, thats understandable. But dont bash the guy b/c u dont really know his skills...bring it on

15. Tomo

Tomo Member

Got good point!

When I was my family vacation to Maine... we all listened John's live cds.
    He wrote great tunes and he played really well. I love his playing.

Tomo

16. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

tomo was he one of ur students?

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That DOES not help your point or JM's credibility................ :Spank

18. jdiesel77

jdiesel77 Member

im just trying to point out that he is respected by manydiff music styles...not just 15 year old chicks....and me

19. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

I was gonna use some sort of analogy like "because he thinks he's a Harley but is really only a Vespa" but your 'to the point' response works as well :)

20. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I actually didn't like the strat. I didn't like the neck or the frets on it. Its based on on a 60s strat but I rather get a custom shop reissue. I actually didn't like the sound out of it either, too sterile. I guess I just like the sound and feel of the clapton strat too much.