• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

John Mayer to release "The Black One" into production...

codyj84

In case you guys havent heard, John is collaborating with the Custom Shop to release 83 Fender CS MasterBuilt replicas of his infamous "The Black One"... The CS will also be releasing a "production model" of the same guitar... so that those who can't afford the hefty tag of the MasterBuilt will still have the opportunity to get "close" to the vibe of "The Black One"...

Anyways, thought some of ya might be interested. Please don't turn this into a bashing thread or anything of the sort. Kudos to John for having the talent, staying power, marketability, and the fanbase recognition to have a MasterBuilt series. Pretty cool.

-c

More Info here....

http://www.johnmayer.com/battlestudies/

B_of_H

I agree on the 'kudos' part 100%

I don't really have an interest in this guitar right now but I think it's a great idea for fender. Hopefully it does as well or better than the eric johnson model.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I think Artist series models are sheer folly. Playing these guitars won't make you sound like your favorite artist, nor will it make you play like them either. It's just a way to charge you more for a basic guitar with specs favored by your favorite artist that might not even suit you or your playing style. Give me an American Standard any day of the week!

I'm sure this will go down as another one of my unpopular positions on subjects...

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member
Cool. Only 83? I can only imagine what it will cost. The only thing I wonder about is who will be able to buy one. All the other signature guitars that have been coming out. The ones that are 10k and above are for artists who have been around a long time and have fans that are older and have some money. These guitars were also ICONIC guitars. Blackie, SRVs number 1, Andy Summers tele, Becks Esquire...etc.

Mayer isn't there yet. Who will be able to shell out over 10k for his MB version? Are there really that many Mayer fans that are willing to pay that much for a signature guitar?

I look forward to checking out the production model though. It will probably be pretty cool.

C.SCAN3

+1 on this subject

I think Artist series models are sheer folly. Playing these guitars won't make you sound like your favorite artist, nor will it make you play like them either. It's just a way to charge you more for a basic guitar with specs favored by your favorite artist that might not even suit you or your playing style. Give me an American Standard any day of the week!

I'm sure this will go down as another one of my unpopular positions on subjects...

EricPeterson

Mayer isn't there yet. Who will be able to shell out over 10k for his MB version? Are there really that many Mayer fans that are willing to pay that much for a signature guitar?

I look forward to checking out the production model though. It will probably be pretty cool.
to be fair he is probably propelling the sales of strats as much as SRV or Clapton anymore, not to say he is on their level just that he is helping fender push gear, so they are trying to capitalize on this. I bet they will sell.

shark_bite

Oh PLEASE. People. Come on. If Mayer hasn't earned this, then I don't think it'll be possible for anyone to earn it in your minds. It's like complaining for the sake of complaining. Let's face it - nobody else has that kind of chops who can also sell that many records today. You can talk about folks like EJ and Joe Bonamassa all day long, but they're the ones I'd say are not there yet. Not to take away from what they've done (or either's incredible sig models), but they're not winning multiple Grammies every year and selling out stadiums all summer every summer. Mayer's been at this for the better part of a decade. Dude's been touring nearly non-stop, melting thousands of faces every. single. night. The most ardent Mayer bashers by now are at least conceding that the man has chops, whether they like it or not.

Regarding this guitar, I'd actually be pretty interested in owning one if it trumps the existing JM Sig, which my guess would be it will. The tone of the JM is second to none, but I've said it before many times and I'd gladly say it again - I don't particularly like the way the guitar feels about half the time. I've thought about ditching it and grabbing a CS 60s relic, but I don't want to get rid of the Mayer, and I don't see the point in owning any more than one high-end Strat (or any model, for that matter). So I'm kind of stuck with what I've got until something comes out that feels better but still sounds just as good. I haven't found it yet. Maybe this guitar will be my chance.

Am I going to pay $6k for the uber-limited one? Probably not, but you never know. There are only going to be 83, and John Mayer is going to go down in history as the guitar god of this generation. It could be as good an investment as anything else. I mean, even if he dies in a fiery car wreck tomorrow - which would only accelerate him to legendary status - he's next in line. Seriously. TRY and tell me who'd usurp him. Let's not forget that Hendrix, SRV, and Clapton all sold a lot of records and had a good amount of mainstream appeal.

Edit: a quick point of clarification, to Josh's point above, so nobody jumps on me: I play a JM sig now and I want this guitar. Not because I want to sound just like the guy. He's a huge influence and you can certainly hear it in some of my playing, but the reason I want Mayer's name on my guitar is because the guy has impeccable taste in tone and I find the Big Dippers to be the best sounding Strat pickups for the sound I'm going for. Every time, hands down, #1. I like them because they sound the way a Strat is supposed to sound. Of course, YMMV, but that's my opinion.

CS'56

IIRC, Mayer's "The Black One" was a SRV tribute Strat painted in black. If this is true, it would be a signature of a "custom" signature. Or you could look at it as a release of the SRV trib in black. :rotflmao

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Oh PLEASE. People. Come on. If Mayer hasn't earned this, then I don't think it'll be possible for anyone to earn it in your minds. It's like complaining for the sake of complaining. Let's face it - nobody else has that kind of chops who can also sell that many records today. You can talk about folks like Joe Bonamassa all day long, but he's the one I'd say is not there yet. Mayer's been at this for the better part of a decade. Dude's been touring nearly non-stop, melting thousands of faces every. single. night. The most ardent Mayer bashers by now are at least conceding that the man has chops, whether they like it or not.
You appear to be responding to some post no one has written. One can only think you assumed there would be some Mayer bashing in this thread, and just wrote a response, instead of reading anything in it. Otherwise, it makes no sense, and there is no Mayer bashing at all.

Weird. :JAM

shark_bite

You appear to be responding to some post no one has written. One can only think you assumed there would be some Mayer bashing in this thread, and just wrote a response, instead of reading anything in it. Otherwise, it makes no sense, and there is no Mayer bashing at all.

Weird. :JAM
It's right here below. It comes up every time... I see jazzandmetal's point about the financial mobility of his fans, but to say the guy hasn't earned this would be (in my opinion) a bit unfair. I see these comments every time, and it drives me nuts, because it has next to nothing to do with the guitar itself, and it's unnecessarily unfair to the player. People wouldn't tell him this in real life, so why do they post it all over the internet (that's a rhetorical question, btw).

FYI, I read all the posts before I replied.

Maven

Gold Supporting Member
Hmmm, now if I can get one of these and a Two Rock Custom Clean Signature V.3 Mayer Sig maybe I can get closer to the elusive "Mayer tone"...dare to dream!:rotflmao

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
It's right here below. It comes up every time... I see jazzandmetal's point about the financial mobility of his fans, but to say the guy hasn't earned this would be (in my opinion) a bit unfair. I see these comments every time, and it drives me nuts, because it has next to nothing to do with the guitar itself, and it's unnecessarily unfair to the player. People wouldn't tell him this in real life, so why do they post it all over the internet (that's a rhetorical question, btw).

I don't think so. You took his quote out of context. He said the GUITARS were iconic, and JM's strat is not iconic yet. That's nowhere near a bash, it's an observation and a correct one.

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member
Oh PLEASE. People. Come on. If Mayer hasn't earned this, then I don't think it'll be possible for anyone to earn it in your minds. It's like complaining for the sake of complaining. Let's face it - nobody else has that kind of chops who can also sell that many records today. You can talk about folks like Joe Bonamassa all day long, but he's the one I'd say is not there yet. Mayer's been at this for the better part of a decade. Dude's been touring nearly non-stop, melting thousands of faces every. single. night. The most ardent Mayer bashers by now are at least conceding that the man has chops, whether they like it or not.

Regarding this guitar, I'd actually be pretty interested in owning one if it trumps the existing JM Sig, which my guess would be it will. The tone of the JM is second to none, but I've said it before many times and I'd gladly say it again - I don't particularly like the way the guitar feels about half the time. I've thought about ditching it and grabbing a CS 60s relic, but I don't want to get rid of the Mayer, and I don't see the point in owning any more than one high-end Strat (or any model, for that matter). So I'm kind of stuck with what I've got until something comes out that feels better but still sounds just as good. I haven't found it yet. Maybe this guitar will be my chance.

Am I going to pay $6k for the uber-limited one? Probably not, but you never know. There are only going to be 83, and John Mayer is going to go down in history as the guitar god of this generation. It could be as good an investment as anything else. I mean, even if he dies in a fiery car wreck tomorrow - which would only accelerate him to legendary status - he's next in line. Seriously. TRY and tell me who'd usurp him. Let's not forget that Hendrix, SRV, and Clapton all sold a lot of records and had a good amount of mainstream appeal.

First off, KUDOS to JM on yet another endorsement product. Good for him and I have nothing but kind things to say about the man and his music.
I will, however, say that you are completely wrong about Joe B- THAT guy is the epitome of a working musician- a hard working musician at that. This guy does 10 x's the gigs that Mayer does and has done this since he was 8 years old- he is BB King's "god son"- took lessons from the late, great Danny Gatton (they were also close friends) and has befriended countless names in the music industry. For you to say that about Joe B is just wrong- do some research, then listen to the guy play guitar- Mayer is a great guitarist, but Joe B is an AMAZING guitarist. Differenece here is Mayer sells a LOT more records because he is an amazing song writer....Joe had more gigs under his belt than Mayer has in his career BEFORE Mayer had a career.

Am I gonna buy a Mayer guitar? Doubt it.....but he certainly deserves the accolades- but so does Joe B- personally, I'd rather have a Les Paul named after me than a replica of my strat, but that's just me!

jazzandmetal?

Silver Supporting Member

Sorry man. John Mayer is a great player and is helping Fender sales. But if you think he is on the level of Beck, Clapton or SRV as far as their status and how Iconic their guitars are than I really don't know what to say.

To add, I am not trying to derail this into a Mayer bashing thing at all. I have nothing but respect for the guy. He is doing great things to bring guitar back to the forefront of music.

I work at the store you so much like to bash on and have sold at least one of EVERY SINGLE high dollar signature that has been put out in the last 5 years from Fender and Gibson ( Escept the Frankenstein ). I have a pretty good handle on the kind of customers that buy 10k + guitars with artists names on them. Mayer fans aren't that customer. I am sure it will sell, but not to fans. To collectors. A lot of the people who bought number 1, or Blackie were fans.

As far as the Bonamassa comparison, another great player who deserves a signature guitar. But his was sub 4k and a Gibson. I guarantee the masterbuilt Mayer is over 10k when released.

I am not saying that Mayer isn't deserving. He certainly is. I just don't think it will sell as well or as fast as some of the others have.

Last edited:

Luke

The one I love is the Yngwie one where the guy that built them said it is an exact replica, but then goes on to say how Yngwie's scalloping technique sucked. So its an exact copy of something that sucks for $12,000? :huh

shark_bite

I think I'll be in way over my head here if I try to defend what I said with any more, but one last shot.

No, I don't think he's already a Beck or a Clapton or whatever. But even if he was 20x the player any those guys are nobody would give him that credit until he had more gray hair and wrinkles. I'm not an obsequious fanboy. If Mayer starts to suck, I'll be the first one to be disappointed and among the last to try and rationalize why.

My ultimate point - well, points, would be this:

1) I'm glad there will hopefully be a "better" JM sig Strat soon, because mine isn't exactly cutting it in all categories but I can't think of anything that would.

2) I find Mayer-bashing to be paradoxical at best. A lot of people have reasons they don't think he deserves something like this guitar that essentially don't make sense. There may be better players/better singers/better writers, but how many of those people so strong in all categories AND can sell millions of records/concert tickets every time they put forth the effort? Those are the measures of success in the game, like it or not. And by all measures, he's succeeding beyond anyone's wildest imagination.

Trending Topics