John Mayer's Black "Klon" - Anyone know what it is?

PedalFreak

Supporting Member
I realize there will be a lot of sarcastic replies here, after all TGP never disappoints :D But does anyone happen to know what the black "klon" that John Mayer has been using on his board for awhile now is? It is not a Centura, that much I know. Or if it's a mod to another klone what the mod was?

@jhspedals.com I'm looking your way if you can spill anything ;)

PedalFreak

Supporting Member
Pretty sure it is a Centura...
Josh from JHS has said it isnt
Josh, as well as a couple others that I know have confirmed that it is not a Centura. There are a couple photos around that show it does not say "Centura" on it. Now whether or not it's a centura case that has had "centura" removed is a different question. But several people that I feel are trustworthy have said it's not that. Although Josh is the only one that I haven't heard comment on what it is. The others didn't know other than it wasn't a Centura.

I think the reflections in photo make it look black but it's not really black.

~ss
There have been some photos showing it's definitely black.

Rumor is that he asked Bill F to mod a Klon for him, not sure why though, and that Bill didn't want to do it.

I'm wondering if @jhspedals.com built one of their Klones with the tweaks that John wanted and housed it in a modified Centura casing. Or even better if it's a JHS Soul Food mod in a Black case. That would be awesome :rotflmao

PedalFreak

Supporting Member
Honestly, if no one knows what it is, then the Centura can't be ruled out. But I think I read somewhere that it is a Klon Centaur.
Like I said, Josh from JHS has said that it's not a Centura. Someone that knows John mentioned that John reached out to Bill to mod his Klon and Bill refused, then John went to Josh.

Maybe they modified a real Klon and had the enclosure painted :dunno

PedalFreak

Supporting Member
It's probably an $80 Klone but shhhh it'll be a $750 must have if you release the model info.
That would be awesome if it was! Sort of like when I was buying up TS10's for $25-50, no one wanted them. Then I had this guy start out bidding me on all the TS10's I was trying to buy, found out later it was John. Now everyone wants that pedal :rotflmao

I've been curious about the JHS Soul Food sound like a great mod. Maybe I should buy one in case it comes out that's what it is :D

bokeh

I think the reflections in photo make it look black but it's not really black.

~ss
This actually seems like the most plausible answer. The only photos I've seen of a black one on his board aren't exactly clear and Ceriatone is the only ones who make a black one. I don't see why he would paint the enclosure just for a mod. He's not exactly known for painting his pedals.

PedalFreak

Supporting Member
Pics or it didn’t happen!

:D
The John Mayer tapatalk forum has a lot of photos on it. If I get time later, and no one else has I'll try to bring some of the images over.

Here is a quick one that I found. Can see the white letters, and no "Centrua" written on it. In one of the threads at that forum I mentioned, there were some that got to do a stage walk through before a show, John insisted that no photos were allowed of his gear. They also confirmed that it was black and did not say Centura. John also wasn't answering gear questions haha

Last edited:

No_Stairway

Supporting Member
That would be awesome if it was! Sort of like when I was buying up TS10's for $25-50, no one wanted them. Then I had this guy start out bidding me on all the TS10's I was trying to buy, found out later it was John. Now everyone wants that pedal :rotflmao

I've been curious about the JHS Soul Food sound like a great mod. Maybe I should buy one in case it comes out that's what it is :D
I owned the JHS modded version, good luck with your investment.