John McLaughlin tone and technique with Mahavishnu Orchestra

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by firebird1, Aug 17, 2018.

1. firebird1

firebird1 Member

This is a killer track thanks!

2. firebird1

firebird1 Member

MO studio albums are good and of course the live Between Nothingness & Eternity is pretty awesome but the three bootlegs below completely demolish everything else. BNE makes a lot more impact with the bonus live cuts issued in the MO box set and it is cool to make a composite concert from the two albums. But overall the albums below are pretty much my go to now for some MO action. All the tunes are twisted inside out and the intensity is frightening. There are some other good bootlegs from 1971 but the band is a lot less sure of itself and Jerry and John are sometimes out of tune with each other. They probably could hear themselves in the smaller venues they played in 1971 but by 72-73 they really peaked.

Wild Strings - Cleveland Music Hall, 4-21-72
    KPFA FM Broadcast - Berkeley Community Theatre, 09.11.72
    Century Theater, Buffalo, New York, January 27th, 1973 (Remastered) [Live FM Radio Broadcasting]

Tomo El Gato likes this.
  3. Dubious

Dubious Member

inner mounting flame is the god tone

firebird1 likes this.
  4. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I don't know about that joint tour, but in one of the bios I read, Relayer was in a way answering the momentum that the MO had stirred up. Patrick Moraz brought in a different bag of tricks that Rick, too.

firebird1 likes this.
  5. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

So since we have been on lockdown obviously been playing more than usual and having more time for music.

Ive been messing around with JMs guitar sound and its hard for more to believe that he was getting so much overdrive out of the Marshall Majors??

Im not using a Marshall I am using Mesa Marks. I like the gain to stay really low so ita more smoothvand dynamic but to roll off the tone to get the right attack of his I needed to boost the amp with an ocd, which to my knowledge a Mesa Mark even on low gain and boosted with the ocd is clipping harder than a Marshall Major yeah?

Is it speaker distortion that is giving him the sound from so much punishing volume from the massive wattage?

Some here say said Fuzz Face but it doesnt sound like that to me.

Its better to bump an old thread right?

6. Andre LaFosse

Andre LaFosse Member

Speaking of things - I just did a bit of "Dawn," including the fractal exponential measure of doom, as I'm trying to dust off my transcribing chops.

Tab is a rough guess, pending online research - happy to hear any critiques or suggestions on this one. :)

[​IMG]

7. p.j.

p.j. Member

Didn't JM end up breaking the Rex Bogue? It fell and broke in half? I kind of remember reading that once. Anyone know?

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

They shared bills with Mahavishnu as well

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

Mclaughlin comes from a generation that wouldn't necessarily think of their sound as needing to be consistent from one record to the stage, or one record to another.

He was a player that had a "voice", not a "tone". Mclaughlin's "voice" comes from his note choice, articulation, rhythm, composing, attitude, etc. In fact, his "tone" varies wildly all throughout his career, including to today. But that "voice" has been there the whole time, no matter what gear he plays through.

The first generation of so-called "fusion" (it was called "jazz-rock" back then, no one called it fusion until the 70s) guys were not particularly legato players - Coryell, Mclaughlin, Jerry Hahn, etc - that came later.

10. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Yep, saw this band at Whiskey A-Go-Go in LA at that time. Doubleneck Gibson, Marshall amps. Loudest band I have ever heard, jaw droppingly great.

11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Remember JM playing California Girls with Mike Love on the TV show hosted by the Woodstock MC guy Chip Monck? I think the audio is on YouTube.

12. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

I only know that Mclaughlin tells that story in interviews often, the Rex Bogue took a dive off a work bench and was never the same again.

14. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

Found a video of MO in their prime.

Enjoyed Ed's post above. Reminded me of one show, George Duke/ Billy Cobham Band at the Shaboo Inn in CT close to UConn...was completely blown away by Billy. I had played with very good drummers as a kid, skilled, great chops (world class training and nationally ranked in stuff like snare/drum corps stuff), but Billy was at another level in terms of power and "doing the impossible", no, he was in another universe that he inhabited by himself. Had a chance to ask Scofield about his experience with that band, his first big gig after leaving Berklee. Sco described Billy as a "force of nature, a phenomenon". Watch from minute 9:00 and feel it, **** watch the whole enchilada...

gtrnstuff and NB_Terry like this.
  15. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

My absolute fave JM song.
    Brilliant. Resolution.....that never resolves!

Khromo and KRosser like this.
  16. KRosser

KRosser Member

My favorite Mclaughlin song, I think...at least today. Check with me again tomorrow:

Khromo and Tag like this.
  17. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Yes, I read an interview with John where he said that.
    Beautiful guitar. Must have weighed a lot.
    Ibanez did sort of a copy in the late 70's.

18. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Yeah, Billy was amazing to see and hear. I caught quite a few of his own shows in the 70's, also a drum clinic he did here in Nashville.

19. gennation

gennation Member

Regarding the Indian style/influence, remember, My Goals Beyond was out before Inner Mounting Flame, as was Extrapolation and Devotion. Of course it was all elevated when Shakti hit but MGB has that over all vibe more so than the others.

If you want to do some fun Mclaughlin woodshedding, spend some time here:

https://www.italway.it/morrone/wbtg-scores.htm

I have a couple of my transcriptions there too.

diego and Khromo like this.
  20. ricardow49

ricardow49 Member

Words of shelter-in-place inspiration from the man. “So ... get to it!” ...

GovernorSilver, Tomo El Gato and aiq like this.