• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

John page guitars ?P

jerryratpack

Platinum Supporting Member
Anyone try the ashburn out ?

I saw a full page ad in guitar player magazine showing a nice looking strat type from one of the (former ?)
Fender custom shop luthier .

Johnpageclassic.com

I looks great to me, priced like a USA strat, but supposed to have all the custom type features on a production guitar.

Just curious if anyone tried one and how they compare the pups to the American standard, or anything in general

GuitMike

I've posted on these before, and there are a couple threads you can look up. I just had mine out again yesterday and am still completely amazed with it. If you didn't know, you'd swear you were playing a $3K custom guitar. They really are that good.

dukew

Silver Supporting Member
Mine's for sale in The Guitar Forum. Love it but am buying a vintage piece...

kenneth

The feature list is really interesting, also interesting that he chose to have them made in Japan.

John Page

I've posted on these before, and there are a couple threads you can look up. I just had mine out again yesterday and am still completely amazed with it. If you didn't know, you'd swear you were playing a $3K custom guitar. They really are that good.
Just picked up one-fantastic. Huge tone and impeccable build.
Mine's for sale in The Guitar Forum. Love it but am buying a vintage piece...
Thanks for the support guys, and I'm really glad you like my new Ashburn Classic! Sorry you're having to let yours go, Duke, but I certainly understand that the Ashburn is not "vintage"!

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions that you guys might have. OP, I don't know what the current AS pickups are, so I personally cannot comment regarding the comparison. I was going for a mid 60's kind of tone with the Bloodline JP-1s, with a bit more beef, but still nice and jangly! There are a bunch of videos on our You Tube channel to give you an idea of the tones possible. I think the Paul Riario video does a real nice job on showcasing the tones of each pickup. Here's that link -
Enjoy your day!

dukew

Silver Supporting Member
John,

Thanks for reaching out to me. You are building stellar guitars. Just keep the pedal to the metal and they will come!

As far as a HSS question above, go try the Ashburn. The bridge PU is the best single coil I've ever heard on a Strat style guitar. It has beef!

Last edited:

John Page

@John Page Any plans to make a HSS :) ?
John,

Thanks for reaching out to me. You are building stellar guitars. Just keep the pedal to the metal and they will come!

As far as a HSS question above, go try the Ashburn. The bridge PU is the best single coil I've ever heard on a Strat style guitar. It has beef!
We have plans for more models in the Classic line, in fact I'm prototyping the next one right now! I'm sure a hum bucker or two will make its way into an Ashburn... ;0)- But, I should say, I don't plan on the shotgun approach to releasing models in the Classic line. There will not be 72.5 variations of Ashburns. I am trying to very consciously create the models and their features.

Duke, it was great chatting back and forth! Thanks for taking the time, and for the kind words too!

2HBStrat

I like what I've seen, and read about, of the John Page guitars in ads and articles......enough of the past to satisfy those folks and enough new features and modifications to be distinctive. I just wish I could try one of the guitars in person.

m.e.

Talking like a jerk except I am an actual jerk
Gold Supporting Member
I really like the look of these. Very classic with some modern tweaks. If I were in the market for a new S-style, these would be high up on my list.

I'd be interested in seeing a T-style from John Page at some point.

LJOHNS

Bringing this old thread back up - anyone else have any new reviews?
One question I have: how is the noise level of the pickups? It is shielded? I need my S type to be quiet!

John Page

Bringing this old thread back up - anyone else have any new reviews?
One question I have: how is the noise level of the pickups? It is shielded? I need my S type to be quiet!
The Ashburn is indeed shielded, both in the cavity and the pick guard. In addition, the middle pickup is RWRP, so that in position 2 and 4 the pickups are noise cancelling. However, in their individual positions, 1,3 and 5, there will still be some level of hum since they are true single coil pickups. The shielding greatly reduces this issue, but depending on the playing environment, the hum can still be a factor.

I don't usually experience the hum in my shop, even with my florescent lighting, because they have electronic balasts. I also have my amp set pretty clean. I have experienced the hum when guys have come over and played with a lot of gain, however, but I'm talking metal levels of gain. As single coil set-ups go, the level of shielding does its job very well.

I hope that gives you a bit of the info you're looking for.

Last edited:

mikealpine

Played an HH, the guitars are simply beautiful. I didn't end up with one because I wasn't as comfortable on the neck as I hoped, but the guitar sounded great, the finishing was awesome, and it feels like a great amount of care and thought went into the design.

pkordel

John, can you tell me what your recommended pickup height is on the Ashburn? What's the factory spec?

Cheers, Peter

Trending Topics