John Parricelli

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by The bear, Feb 17, 2009.

1. The bear

The bear Member

Great English guitarist. Love the way he play on Kenny Wheelers' "it takes two", with John Abercrombie and Anders Jormin.
    I know he does a lot of session work and he might be playing a PRS.
    Otherwise there is little information about him out there, and he is not very well known in the states.
    Anyone have some more info?

2. ToneZappa

ToneZappa Member

He used to live not far from me when I lived in London I tried out some gear at his place a couple of times he,s a great player really listens to whats going on around him and responds. I have an album by him "Alba" I don,t know if he,s done any other solo albums. He does a lot of session work and is well in the U.K. jazz scene he,s always worth going to see and a really good guy.
    I,m sure he would like your playing Jostein I hear a lot in common between you two.

3. dunara

dunara Member

I did a gig with him once (with the Tam White big band, inc Boz Burell on bass). John is a fab listener, a fearsome player and a generous collaborator. Lovely guy too.

4. The bear

The bear Member

I tried to find some of his solo stuff, but it wasn't easy. I have another album he is on with british saxophonist Martin Speake.
    Thanks for the nice words tonezappa, I would love to meet him sometime.

5. mike walker

mike walker Member

Known John for a long time.
    Lovely to play with, very generous. Just did North Sea Jazz festival with him and Kenny and Palle doing the music from 'it takes two'. Last time i spoke to him he was getting stuff together for another album.
    As Bub says, he does a lot of session stuff and plays with many different players. Andy Sheppard, a British sax player, just formed a new band with him so i'm sure that will yield a new album.

A lovely guy is John, very approachable.

Mike

6. The bear

The bear Member

Thanks for the info Mike-that's my dream gig right there!

7. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon Member

Was going to start a thread about John as I've been thinking about his playing a lot during the last couple of days, then found this one. Mike, do you have an email address for him? Would like to catch him in London but as he doesn't have a website or myspace, it's difficult to find out where and when he's playing.

First saw John play on Kenny Wheeler's 75th birthday big band tour. Great, great player. A big influence on one of my big influences, Dave Okumu.

On with the YouTube clips!

With Kenny in 2005:

The first part of a pro-shot concert with Andy Sheppard last year:

8. KRosser

KRosser Member

John's on Andy Sheppard's recent ECM disc, which was one of my favorite releases of last year, and his playing on it is absolutely lovely

9. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon Member

There was a great 4 tune performance from a trio of Kenny Wheeler/Norma Winstone/John Parricelli last night on BBC Radio's Jazz on 3. John's playing is fantastic. Check it out on the iPlayer for the next week (don't know if it works for those outside the UK): http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v7sxn

There was an interview with John about his gear in Jazzwise shortly after this thread started: http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/the-player-mainmenu-131/11189-john-parricelli-guitar

He's playing on Kenny Wheeler's 80th birthday big band tour which kicks off this week.