John Paul Jones Appreciation

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by daddyo, Feb 15, 2009.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I love Page and always will. The same with Plant and Bonham. But JPJ is often forgotten because he wasn't flamboyant. But check out the wiki link and see that Jones is as deep as the Pacific Ocean. Wouldn't you love to be in a band with a guy like Jones who just quietly went about making great music?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones_(musician)

2. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Yup, JPJ is tops in my book. One of those guys that made me wanna play bass :AOK

3. cram

cram Member

led zep II is more of a clinic in rock/blues bass than anything else.
    he's awesome.

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Page is my all time favorite. I have to admit though that Led Zep would not have their sound if not for JPJ! You can really hear his influence on In Through The Out Door, where he basically composed that entire album. ITTOD is one of my fav Zep albums.

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

Until I watched How The West Was Won, I never realized just how much of their sound was from JPJ. A multitalented guy that laid much of the foundation for LZ.

6. Bussman

Bussman Member

Get your hands on Madeline Bell's 1973 Comin' Atcha LP. Cool funk produced by brotha JPJ.

IMHO he had the most interesting post Zep career while JP sat on his hands and relived his past.

7. lhallam

lhallam Member

Much like the Ringo arguments, it took all four to make Zepplin.

There was no secret weapon, the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts.

Regardless, I agree JPJ is often overlooked and was a substantial contribution.

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I liken my own situation to his in this respect: I am known (and employed) largely as a bass player, but am underexploited as a mandolin player. I was already playing mandolin when I saw them in '72-'73, and they did a sit-down acoustic set with JPJ on mandolin. While I was immersed in the bluegrass world, I checked out all the mandolin stuff on their records. Of late JPJ comes to US festivals and hangs out and plays (I hung with him and Mrs. Paul Jones at Merlefest in N.C. one time), has produced US folk/roots projects, etc. He's an okay fella.

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yes, Barry Mitterhof told me that he was in the UK at a Mandolinfest when he was speaking to this bloke for twenty minutes or so about mandolin playing before he realized that it was JPJ (and JPJ didn't realize that Barry was with Hot Tuna).
    He is really into the Mandolin right now but he has always been a Music Director since the sixties, a multi - talented individual.

Best, Pete.

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

One of the most inventive bassists ever. He was 1/4 of the Zep and is not replaceable just as the other 3 are not either. He may have shunned the limelight but his influence will be felt on bassists forever. His keyboard work, especially live duing the '75 and '77 tours on tracks like No Quarter are legendary too.

11. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I remember the first times I listened to "Ramble On" and "The Lemon Song" and being floored by how amazing the bass sounded. One of top 5 bassists for sure!

12. cottoneyedjoe

cottoneyedjoe Member

A very nice, down to Earth fellow that can play the living hell out of just about anything you put in front of him.

He is NOT a rock star. He never wanted to be. He is very gracious and is willing to talk with anyone about the music he loves.

The BEST member of Led Zeppelin in my book.

13. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Understatement of the century! JPJ is a heavy.

14. heavysoul

heavysoul Member

Oh yeah! this thread is way overdue. one of the most underrated bass players and a great arranger/composer. he's a major reason why zeppelin is one of the most influential rock bands.

so many great bass grooves in the zep collection but here are my favs:

ramble on
    lemon song
    the crunge
    the song remains the same

15. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Saw him live at the TLA in philly front row leaning on the stage, Page ia a massive influence as a guitar palyer....but JONES was the hammer of the gods that night. played Black DOG on a lap steel and nailed jimmys parts and plants vocals, note for note...then played a string quartet using onkeys with the chapman stick player using a midi setup to cover the 4 parts ..WOW

16. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I think I would literally pass out to be able to play with someone as talented as JPJ.

17. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Great, supportive player...
    Others: Andy Fraser, John Deacon, Phil Lynott, etc.

18. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Everything I know about bass playing is stolen from "The Lemon Song".

19. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

To me JPJ, McCartney and Wyman were the best in that style of music. Very inventive and creative.

20. wombat66

wombat66 Member

I've long known of JPJ's unostentatious and humble love of mandolin and bluegrass. And he was an early fan of Alison Krauss. The bizarre irony that Mr Plant has seized that (and even used it against him).

I actually thought it was really cool that while Page and Plant were trying to redefine and relive their glory days with the Page/Plant tours of the 90's, John Paul Jones was working with Diamanda Galas and The Butthole Surfers.

Great bass player and master of riffs. From all I know, JPJ is a true gentleman and a magnificent musician.
    And as a testament to his character, he's been with Mrs Jones for over 40 years.