John Phillips

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by AL1, Jan 1, 2005.

1. AL1

AL1 Member

HI John, can I use a current limiter to turn on a princeton reverb that I blackfaced with all tubes in including the 5u4gb rectifier tube? I put a standby switch on then took it off because the first filter cap was going over 500 volts. If the amp had a working standby switch I wouldn't be worried about turning the power switch on but with no standby I don't want to do it unless I know that the amp will be alright. Also can I use a 5u4gb Webber copper cap in this amp with no standby switch? Thanks.

2. AL1

AL1 Member

RL, maybe you have misunderstood me. It is supposed to have the 5u4gb rectifier. My question is can I use a current limiter with this amp with no standby switch. I want to use a current limiter in case there are any mistakes in my work.The current limiter will let me know if there are any shorts maybe before any damage is done. I know I could use it if it had a standby switch but it doesn't. Thanks for responding.

3. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

I'm sorry , I read the previous thread and can't add anything to what they already suggested . Good luck .

4. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I thought the Copper Caps supported slow rise?

Edit: Found the answer here:

Weber Copper Cap Rectifiers are solid state rectifier replacement devices for use in place of vintage tube rectifiers. Each model emulates the forward conduction resistance curve of the tube type it replaces and also has linear in-rush current limiting to simulate the warm-up of a tube rectifier, however, it is in the 1 to 2 second range, rather than the 7 to 9 seconds of a typical rectifier tube. The envelopes are solid hard-drawn copper with a high thermal capacitance that allows a 100% continuous overload condition