John Scofield technique for playing on tunes

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by vivacuica, Feb 28, 2012.

1. vivacuica

vivacuica Member

Hey guys--

Scofield did a clinic some years back that covers how he approaches learning to play over the chord changes of any tune.

There were some nice solos he did during the clinic that showed his technique so I've transcribed them along with explanations. You can find them here:

http://somuchsound.blogspot.com/2012/02/sco-how-to-practice-tune.html

If anyone else knows about clinics like this one where the player speaks specifically about how they practice I'd be interested to hear it.

2. KSKONDOR

KSKONDOR Member

I had missed your site somehow. I like it. Do you havppen to have a link to the clinic you mention, or am I just missing it? Thanks again for the cool site.

3. mleggett

mleggett Member

Very useful stufff, thanks. I'm glad Sco feels the same way about GS that I do, that makes me feel much better.

4. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

lotta work you put in there.

thanks for sharing. Sco is awesome.

learning a tune by connecting the related scales and arps is crucial for learning to solo "through" the changes, rather than just "over" them.

5. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

love Sco, many thanks!

6. vhollund

vhollund Member

THanks
    That's cool

7. mleggett

mleggett Member

And I love that link to Cosby talking about playing with Sonny Stitt.

8. meanmud

meanmud Member

been a fan of your site for a while - was bit sad that someone submitted that Zingg solo (Green Earrings) before me (procrastinate now, why wait).

Thanks for this!

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

Cool! Thanks! So that's his famous take on Giant Steps. He's probably right, learn Stella first.

10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Thanks, vivacuica! Appreciate the hard work you put into your article.

I listened to both parts of the clinic, which can be found here, for those of you who can't find the audio:
    http://davidvaldez.blogspot.com/2011/01/john-scofield-clinic.html

Some random thoughts:

- He comes across as more articulate here than in that infamous 1980s Youtube video.

- He only transcribes part of a solo instead of the whole solo.

- What he said about Giant Steps reminded me of what my jazz guitar teacher said about it. My teacher also thought that tune restricted the improvisor's options.

- I love his answer to the student who asked "How do I not sound like a pattern player?". The answer: "Don't practice patterns.". He got a laugh out of that, then elaborated further. It's pretty much similar advice to what he said about practicing scales and arps, as noted in the excellent So Much Sound article.

- "By playing this scale, I'm never more than a whole step away from a correct note". LOL!

- I also love the part where he looks for notes in common between two certain chords, finds only an A, then says "I'll just play A for both chords!" eliciting more laughter.

11. TommiK

TommiK Member

Much appreciated, and the rest of your blog is great too.

12. vivacuica

vivacuica Member

Thanks man, and thanks for the break down. Those were highlights for me too. Some really great stuff in that clinic besides just his playing. And man, that 1980's YouTube video is pretty bad. If you want one Scofield clinic, go with this one...